Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Might try and grab a couple of those granite sets tomorrow. They are very heavy, and probably have some history attached to them. They've been removed from a public highway somewhere.
They may well have already been there so I would be cautious before grabbing them.

Yes, those big bits of granite look like the substantial kerb stones that were used when many of the streets around the Brixton area were originally laid out in the late 1800s. They are still there serving their original purpose in many places.

This is awful

A Brixton restaurant worker is in a coma after being punched so hard he fell and cracked his head on the pavement. Marco Pannone, 25, was working at a restaurant on Ferndale Road at around 11.10pm on Friday night (December 2) when two men approach him.

After engaging in a conversation, one of the men punched Marco in the face, causing him to fall and hit his head on the pavement. The two men fled in the direction of Nursery Road leaving the young man on the floor with devastating injuries.

Marco was rushed to hospital where he remains in an induced coma. According to local media in Italy, Marco's family found out about the attack the following morning when Marco's sister received a Facebook message from one of his friends.

Driving home from work police cordon on stockwell road from the corner with landor road to stockwell lane with a car facing perpendicular to the direction of traffic there.
And moorlands road had police car and tape at both ends.

Went to Morley's today, first time since the work's been done. Looks quite nice, lovely pics on the stairs. Everything seems to have moved about a bit - have they got rid of escalator?

The haberdashery dept is a shadow of its former glory in a different corner of 2nd floor. And all the kitchen stuff is up there too with all the bedding and other home stuff. Didn't think to look downstairs what is in the basement now?

Went to Morley's today, first time since the work's been done. Looks quite nice, lovely pics on the stairs. Everything seems to have moved about a bit - have they got rid of escalator?

The haberdashery dept is a shadow of its former glory in a different corner of 2nd floor. And all the kitchen stuff is up there too with all the bedding and other home stuff. Didn't think to look downstairs what is in the basement now?
The escalator to the first floor is still there (one way only, as it's always been)

I was looking for an air fryer few weeks ago. As trying to cut down on fat. Doctors orders. Found one in Morleys that was on cheap price. Argos did not have any available that were cheap.

Found Morley staff friendly and helpful.

The air fryer I got has been really good.

I notice Morley have big range on cosmetic counters. With a lot of staff. So if that is what one is looking for then it is up with West End stores.

The stairs had some good photos of Brixton. Recent and historical.

Morleys were also plugging online sales.

I kind of thought Morleys as long standing store that has stuck it out in Brixton through good times and bad deserves support..

Got this from Better. It is a swim England petition to get extra help for public swimming pools and leisure centres.

The cost of energy is beginning to seriously affect future of these facilities.

(The cold pool at Rec recently has been because the Council STILL haven't managed to finish starting up the new boiler. The Rec has been functioning on one boiler. Which isn't enough once winter contest. This is unrelated to energy costs. And is down to Council not getting their act together. New boiler was promised since last February)

I've been swimming at Vauxhall instead.

Temperature at Rec pool has been just 24.9

Heard today from a swimmer that pool temperature was up today. So will check)

Last edited:
england-france-08.jpg

I was in the Railway in Tulse Hill. They must have made a killing pumping out £6.50 pints to the hundreds of thirsty football fans. They had a big marquee taking up the whole garden with rows of tables, good atmosphere to be fair, apart from the disappointment at the end.

I was in the Railway in Tulse Hill. They must have made a killing pumping out £6.50 pints to the hundreds of thirsty football fans. They had a big marquee taking up the whole garden with rows of tables, good atmosphere to be fair, apart from the disappointment at the end.
They've always been good for football. I imagine they made a shitload on food too.

Does anyone who uses Community Fibre want to do the refer a friend thing? Apparently there's a £100 Amazon voucher each if it all works, but I'm a bit unclear if their current offer qualifies so it might not. My reading of the rules suggests we get to see each other's real names but no other details.

I would do this if you’ve not already sorted it with someone else :)

Following on from the bumper Autumn 2019 Brixton thread, here's the one for winter 2019-2020, and I've got the ball rolling with some suitably wintry scenes:

brixton-snow-dec-2010-07.jpg

brixton-snow-dec-2010-14.jpg

brixton-snow-dec-2010-10.jpg
I can finally post up a suitable reply to the opening post of this thread!

In photos: Windrush Square in the snow, with snowmen and a snowcat, Sunday 11th Dec 2022

In photos: Windrush Square in the snow, with snowmen and a snowcat, Sunday 11th Dec 2022

Had my first visit to Brixton House this evening. I can thoroughly recommend this Alice in Wonderland

The old classic cleverly parachuted into Brixton and the Victoria Line. Some fantastic performances, not least Nkhanise Phiri as Alice. And the sound and light production was superb too.

The venue itself has a really relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Loved it.
Great - we’re seeing it after Christmas.

Does anyone who uses Community Fibre want to do the refer a friend thing? Apparently there's a £100 Amazon voucher each if it all works, but I'm a bit unclear if their current offer qualifies so it might not. My reading of the rules suggests we get to see each other's real names but no other details.
Yes happy to of you are still interested

Back
Top Bottom