Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

yeah.

It may sound like a strange and rare color for the sky to display, but a pink sky is actually quite common in large cities, especially those experiencing high levels of pollution.

Pink Sky
During a high-pressure system, when plenty of particles from the pollution adds to the molecules in the air, an effective filter for the scattering of violet light is created.

Although blue light is more visible than violet light under normal circumstances, these unique atmospheric circumstances cause more violet to be scattered more than blue light, resulting in a pink (violet) sky.

A sunset's color can appear pink under similar conditions that create a red sky. Under some circumstances, red light reaching you, combined with red light reflected off particles high in the air, and some scattered blue light making it through, creates a beautiful violet sunset.

Can you help?

Meeting on the 30th

Can you help?

Meeting on the 30th

thanks for promoting this. Lambeth Mutual Aid are an amazing group of volunteers doing fantastic work to support those in need, especially those with little access to other help.

Never met him AFAIK. Fullsome tribute from the redoubtable Jon Rogers
I looked at the photo and remember him being at some community meetings. He also seemed ok to me. Was in SWP so not in my circle. Came across as someone who new their stuff. Did a lot to represent disabled people.

Reactions: CH1
Lambeth keen to take the credit

Yesterday, we received the fantastic news that thanks to successful campaigning of councillors and the local community, and with so many consultation responses from residents, the Mayor of London has saved the 45 bus route which runs from Clapham Park to Elephant and Castle from being completely withdrawn from service​

Lambeth keen to take the credit
Yeah I saw that. If you read the report though there were thousands of responses presumably from the concerned public transport users themselves. What a relief that Claire's finger in the wind put her on the right track!

I doubt the crack/smack heads from that house on the corner are the ones doing the graffiti. I lived very close to and used to walk past that area multiple times daily and never really had any trouble, apart from the odd person in a state in the gutter who is only a danger to themselves. Id be annoyed if one of them was lurking and smoking on my doorstep though.

I doubt the crack/smack heads from that house on the corner are the ones doing the graffiti. I lived very close to and used to walk past that area multiple times daily and never really had any trouble, apart from the odd person in a state in the gutter who is only a danger to themselves. Id be annoyed if one of them was lurking and smoking on my doorstep though.
We had a crack house on my floor - and several others in my block - and they were using the fire escape opposite my door to shoot up, piss and shit. It was fucking grim.

New gym coming to Brixton. An eye watering £111 per month for the cheapest membership.

Opening next January by the Stockwell skateboard park.

The video advert shows a load of bright young things exercising. Must be going for the new demographic in Brixton. I'm assuming they have done their business plan homework in choosing this spot.

I'll be sticking to the Rec..

This new gym is based around attending classes. Not individual use. Some gyms are doing this now. Hence the high prices. There is another smaller one in Brixton road. You can attend one one hour class a day under the membership. The lowest does not give access to all types of classes.

New gym coming to Brixton. An eye watering £111 per month for the cheapest membership.

Opening next January by the Stockwell skateboard park.

The video advert shows a load of bright young things exercising. Must be going for the new demographic in Brixton. I'm assuming they have done their business plan homework in choosing this spot.

I'll be sticking to the Rec..

This new gym is based around attending classes. Not individual use. Some gyms are doing this now. Hence the high prices. There is another smaller one in Brixton road. You can attend one one hour class a day under the membership. The lowest does not give access to all types of classes.
Classes at the rec seem just fine to me. F*ck aspirational britain.

From full-on gay club to place where you can 'vibe and climb'

Surely that venue is where the Manpower Services Commission used to do training in the 1980s - until the Major goverment privatised them and they became the Training Business Group, which I believe went bust under Blair?

The old Substation South place is now called Piano House: Creative Office Spaces in Brixton | Piano House
This now seems a mix of offices with possible penthouse flats and a doctors' surgery (Pavilion).
It would be interesting to know what did happen at Piano House - there used to be a charity called London Printworks Trust (disolved 2014) there. So somehow the gentrification of the Piano House killed off Substation South and a large arts charity.

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• London Pritnworks - last annual report.pdf
    445.4 KB · Views: 1
Surely that venue is where the Manpower Services Commission used to do training in the 1980s - until the Major goverment privatised them and they became the Training Business Group, which I believe went bust under Blair?

The old Substation South place is now called Piano House: Creative Office Spaces in Brixton | Piano House
This now seems a mix of offices with possible penthouse flats and a doctors' surgery (Pavilion).
It would be interesting to know what did happen at Piano House - there used to be a charity called London Printworks Trust (disolved 2014) there. So somehow the gentrification of the Piano House killed off Substation South and a large arts charity.

Thanks guys.
Piano House gay club Substation is now Soho House https://www.sohohouse.com/studio-spaces/brixton-studio which is a source of much amusement to some of my friends.

I seem to remember it had a brief period as a lap-dancing place in between. Pretty sure substation was still running after the Doctors surgery/dentist opened. Upstairs was (and is) flexible office space - there were various charity type orgs in it. I don't know if they've been priced out but it's still offices.

Substation is a climbing wall in a warehouse on the industrial estate on Lyham Road....

Last edited:
Piano House gay club Substation is now Soho House https://www.sohohouse.com/studio-spaces/brixton-studio which is a source of much amusement to some of my friends.

I seem to remember it had a brief period as a 'gentleman's club' in between. Pretty sure substation was still running after the Doctors surgery/dentist opened. Upstairs was (and is) flexible office space - there were various charity type orgs in it. I don't know if they've been priced out but it's still offices.

Substation is a climbing wall in a warehouse on the industrial estate on Lyham Road....
I was in the area down below that building a few years ago and it was a bar. Not a nightclub and not a private members club, as far as i was aware anyway.

Winot jimbarkanoodle thebackrow Fangs for the memories!

The old Substation South actually had more in common with the original Cooltan squat raves on Effra Road IMHO.
My theory is the gay club was a sort of fortuitous accident.

Someone had started a club called "The Vox" in the basement of 9 Brighton Terrace around 1990 or so (essentially a trendy place designed for black artists and intelligentsia) but there was a moral panic when a departing customer got stabbed to death on the central traffic island of Brixton Road outside Nat West Bank one night.

Seems Lambeth Licensing and Brixton Police felt a gay club was a safer option for the space - hence Substation's charmed existence - until Suzie Kruger got involved about 5 years later when it rapidly lost favour with the authorities.

Judging by the photos posted above Soho House keep the floors pretty clean - which might have been an advantage at Substation South. I often regretted not borrowing a church kneeler to facilitate operations on a Saturday night!

Winot jimbarkanoodle thebackrow Fangs for the memories!

The old Substation South actually had more in common with the original Cooltan squat raves on Effra Road IMHO.
My theory is the gay club was a sort of fortuitous accident.

Someone had started a club called "The Vox" in the basement of 9 Brighton Terrace around 1990 or so (essentially a trendy place designed for black artists and intelligentsia) but there was a moral panic when a departing customer got stabbed to death on the central traffic island of Brixton Road outside Nat West Bank one night.

Seems Lambeth Licensing and Brixton Police felt a gay club was a safer option for the space - hence Substation's charmed existence - until Suzie Kruger got involved about 5 years later when it rapidly lost favour with the authorities.

Judging by the photos posted above Soho House keep the floors pretty clean - which might have been an advantage at Substation South. I often regretted not borrowing a church kneeler to facilitate operations on a Saturday night!
I loved Substation South. The waft of poppers as the lift descended was something else!

Reactions: CH1
Back
Top Bottom