Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Well if he wasn't he'd probably be alive, which seems fairly significant.
That's clearly true - though most on here will not admit it. Meanwhile last night in Texas

This can affect classical music - the first singer to take on Wagner's Tristan died of a stroke after 4 performances.
There are also numerous instances of conductors dying at the podium (normally of old age)

Rap seems to be unique in that the participants actually set out to kill each other.

On Friday, 28 August 2020, Yassein Bullock, 18, of Fiveways Road, Brixton, became the second person to be charged with the murder of Salem Koudou.

32323684-8659235-image-a-10_1598286158043.jpg

(Source: Metropolitan Police)

The Late Salem Koudou

Anyone with information or footage relating to this incident should visit this website, dial 101 or tweet @MetCC and quoting reference Cad 5998/20Aug. To remain anonymous call the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

An insight into life in the centre of "edgy", "vibrant" Brixton from the verdict in the trial of those responsible for the murder of the Late Salem Koudou (also known as 16Shotz) after he arrived at a "party" armed with Black Panther machete with a 45cm serrated blade:

Man convicted over retribution murder of Brixton party gatecrasher

That's clearly true - though most on here will not admit it. Meanwhile last night in Texas

This can affect classical music - the first singer to take on Wagner's Tristan died of a stroke after 4 performances.
There are also numerous instances of conductors dying at the podium (normally of old age)

Rap seems to be unique in that the participants actually set out to kill each other.

and that the [edit /music] LYRICS and imagery seems to focus extensively on gang violence. Maybe I'm misreading the video but there seems to be a lot of miming of gun use in this.

The beats are great though.

Last edited:
and that the music and imagery seems to focus extensively on gang violence. Maybe I'm misreading the video but there seems to be a lot of miming of gun use in this.

What I find odd about these productions is how the young women look like refugees from Ru Paul's Drag Race. One even gets this in the Beehive on occasion. The men are parodies of bad boys (with the emphasis on boys) and the female style is a sort of hyper female to the point of parody.

I wonder if anyone has dared to publish a sociological analysis of this type of performance art?

What I find odd about these productions is how the young women look like refugees from Ru Paul's Drag Race. One even gets this in the Beehive on occasion. The men are parodies of bad boys (with the emphasis on boys) and the female style is a sort of hyper female to the point of parody.

I wonder if anyone has dared to publish a sociological analysis of this type of performance art?

....not sure about any sociological analysis but this is showing soon at the barbican.....

....not sure about any sociological analysis but this is showing soon at the barbican.....

I see the video there gives clear instruction on how to do a "no comment" police interview.

Does anyone know is the Albert open weekday afternoons - I can only see the open hours for today on their website, which also says the kitchen is closed - dont they do food anymore?

Anyone know how strictly they are now enforcing the booking requirement?
The booking site is full of peak lockdown type rules and there are no more slots available this weekend

I had a slot for 11.50 a week or so ago but arrived 10 minutes late to find the place shuts for an hour a 12 (yeah - RTFM, I know)

Wondering if it is worth a punt just turning up ?
Public service update - don't just rock up

Went there with a booking yesterday.
Originally thought we had screwed up the timing again and had hit lunchtime as the gates were shut. Just about to reverse out when the bloke popped out.
He wanted to see the booking on the phone - had a proper look and made me scroll down the email so he could x-ref the number plate etc, before the gate was opened a little to allow us in.

Although only anecdotal evidence - the place seemed dead for a Saturday: only another 2 cars in there.
I wonder if the seemingly over-zealous bureaucracy associated with moves to stop trades and interlopers from Southward using our sacred recycling sites will have the unintended consequence or more people just leaving stuff on the street ? Or perhaps it is a move to be able to show that the site has little usage and should therefore be replaced with housing?

Originally thought we had screwed up the timing again and had hit lunchtime as the gates were shut. Just about to reverse out when the bloke popped out.
He wanted to see the booking on the phone - had a proper look and made me scroll down the email so he could x-ref the number plate etc, before the gate was opened a little to allow us in.

Although only anecdotal evidence - the place seemed dead for a Saturday: only another 2 cars in there.
I wonder if the seemingly over-zealous bureaucracy associated with moves to stop trades and interlopers from Southward using our sacred recycling sites will have the unintended consequence or more people just leaving stuff on the street ? Or perhaps it is a move to be able to show that the site has little usage and should therefore be replaced with housing?
It's just the usual Lambeth approach of endless footling restrictions to make a popular service as useless and unusable as possible, so that only the 1% with the sharpest elbows get any benefit from it.

Does anyone know is the Albert open weekday afternoons - I can only see the open hours for today on their website, which also says the kitchen is closed - dont they do food anymore?
They haven't done for years and they're unlikely to start again. Should be open in the afternoons now that they've got a proper manager back in charge.

Downside of pandemic is that the Council have seen it as opportunity to make people book and pay online. I've seen it in leisure services.

Some officers think this is some kind of progressive positive gain from the pandemic.

Downside of pandemic is that the Council have seen it as opportunity to make people book and pay online. I've seen it in leisure services.

Some officers think this is some kind of progressive positive gain from the pandemic.
It's still free to take stuff to the recycling centre. The booking system prevents the huge queues forming at the weekend and blocking the road/bus route.
But, like many things these days, it does mean that those without internet connection are disadvantaged.

Yep - reductions to the queuing outside have to be welcome, as it blocks what is a narrow residential road (unless they put double yellows down that road?)

As well as those without internet being disadvantaged, so are those on foot or bikes etc , as you require a separate booking for each entry to the site.

I wonder if an unintended consequence is that people make speculative bookings for the weekend and then don't always turn up , meaning a lower overall access ?
Not sure of an easy answer: refundable deposit for attending would be onerous to administer. I am sure that Lambeth would love to charge for booking, but again the end result would likely be more fly tipping or, at best, more driven miles as people drive up to smuggler's way

It's still free to take stuff to the recycling centre. The booking system prevents the huge queues forming at the weekend and blocking the road/bus route.
But, like many things these days, it does mean that those without internet connection are disadvantaged.
Do you still have to book in the week too?

but thats not many, so probably worth it overall

This exhibition and events at Black Cultural Archives sounds interesting for anyone with kids.

I had no idea that an African-American made Edison's lightbulb's workable and then came to London for a while to work for Hiram Maxim.
And it seems he may have been responsible for the installation of electric lighting in what became Electric Avenue!

A Lightbulb Idea: Lewis Latimer’s Scientific Breakthroughs

Join us for a workshop & performance, and an exhibition of archival material on Lewis Latimer.

Workshop and Performance Dates & Times:
Saturday 12th and Saturday 19th November, 2022

11–12: Performance and science experiment
12.00–12.45: Poetry masterclass with RagzCV of Poetic Unity
1.00–2.00: Performance and science experiment
2.00–2.45: Poetry masterclass with RagzCV of Poetic Unity

(Exhibition runs 10th – 19th November, 2022)

MicrosoftTeams-image+%283%29.png

Come and meet Lewis Latimer, the man who came from humble beginnings to work with Thomas Edison and transformed the way we see the world. He invented the lightbulb filament, making Edison’s most famous invention a success, and travelled to Brixton to light up Electric Avenue. With Latimer’s help, you will learn about how circuits and lightbulbs work, as well as some of his other scientific breakthroughs and even his poetry.

The workshop and performance will be followed by a poetry workshop led by South London based poet and advocate for young people, Ragz-CV, to inspire attendees to write their own response to this overlooked figure of science.

Throughout the week, creative pieces of poetry and prose produced by children and young people will be on display, alongside an exhibition of archival material housed at BCA 1 Windrush Square and other archives will evidence the impact Latimer had on South London communities, and the world.

[I caught news about this event on Radio 3 "Free Thinking" feature tonight (on the wider Being Human festival) completely serendipitously.
Haven't seen any local publicity :( ]

Back
Top Bottom