Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Anyone know how strictly they are now enforcing the booking requirement?
The booking site is full of peak lockdown type rules and there are no more slots available this weekend

I had a slot for 11.50 a week or so ago but arrived 10 minutes late to find the place shuts for an hour a 12 (yeah - RTFM, I know)

Wondering if it is worth a punt just turning up ?
If it's small electricals/batteries and you have a black wheelie bin you can put them in a plastic bag on top of the bin on bin day and they will take them
When I went last week, a guy in a car didn't have a booking and after a bit of huffing and puffing the worker let him in, advising him to book next time. Mind you this was a weekday mid morning, so it wasn't busy. While it's a PITA, the booking system does stop lots of queuing cars blocking up Vale Street, which is quire narrow and has a bus route

MPS Press Release:

Police were called at about 19:50hrs on Sunday, 30 October to reports of gunshots heard on Railton Road, SE24.

Officers, including firearms officers, are in attendance along with the London Ambulance Service and London’s Air Ambulance.

Two men were found injured at the location. Despite the efforts of emergency services, they were both pronounced dead at the scene. The nature of their injuries has not been confirmed at this time.

Their next of kin are yet to be informed and we await formal identification.

Post-mortem examinations will be held in due course.

A number of roads in the area are closed and crime scenes are in place

64023953-11372615-image-m-10_1667213053863.jpg

Condolences to the friends and family of the Late Guilherme Messias Da Silva.

Drill gangs at it again supposedly. A guy called Perm being reported as one of the dead.
I just asked a bicycle cop about Reddit chit chat and Perm's murder. He normally patrols estates and is helping detectives with this case. He said detectives routinely look at FB, Reddit etc for gossip about murders. A mention is enough to justify checking the location history on someone's phone. If the history places them at the murder location at the correct time, more questioning follows. Apparently lots of people don't switch off their phone or use a burner phone before getting into a fight. He also said that carrying of knives by schoolboys is still increasing. Lots of 11 year olds are doing it.

I just asked a bicycle cop about Reddit chit chat and Perm's murder. He normally patrols estates and is helping detectives with this case. He said detectives routinely look at FB, Reddit etc for gossip about murders. A mention is enough to justify checking the location history on someone's phone. If the history places them at the murder location at the correct time, more questioning follows. Apparently lots of people don't switch off their phone or use a burner phone before getting into a fight. He also said that carrying of knives by schoolboys is still increasing. Lots of 11 year olds are doing it.

" A mention is enough to justify checking the location on someone's phone"

Is it?

As this was a murder I would have thought there would be a lot on social media about it locally.

I mean the kids on reddit have all the snaps of the 67 "gms" sharing the news so the police would be utterly negligent (make your own gag) not to be following it.

ddraig meanwhile waiting to see confirmation in tomorrow's Times.

How gentrification is ruining Brixton, part 1 million

Is there no other term the community leader featured could use, rather than frequently generalising people who he doesn't seem to like as 'white people'? I dont think it is a good look to seemingly be getting annoyed because people of a different race to yourself were moving into your area. I dont think that is the message he is trying to put across but it could certainly come across that way.

Perhaps just 'gentrifiers'?

Is there no other term the community leader featured could use, rather than frequently generalising people who he doesn't seem to like as 'white people'? I dont think it is a good look to seemingly be getting annoyed because people of a different race to yourself were moving into your area. I dont think that is the message he is trying to put across but it could certainly come across that way.

Perhaps just 'gentrifiers'?
I guess. But at least they are saying what they mean.
Personally I am heartbroken because when I moved to Brixton in 1978 it was like living in a Genet novel.
1667303010912.png
Now it's more like Proust (yawn!!)
1667303150699.png

Posting this a bit too late for the session today, but info about a community meeting tomorrow at Dexters in aftermath of the Railton Road shooting:

Text version of embedded image in the tweet:

"Cllr Jim Dickson and BIGKID Foundation invite you to a Community Drop-in session at 6.30pm Wednesday 2nd November at Dexters Railton Rd SE24 OLH

It is a chance for anyone in our community to join us discuss the aftermath of Sunday night's horrific incident, ask what support is available to our community, provide views on future policing activity in our area and ask what can be done to make us all safer.

Police, political representatives and counsellors will be on hand. Please feel free to join us."

Back
Top Bottom