Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Also:
"Meanwhile the society bible outlines how the 'deep south' boroughs of Clapham, Brockley and Peckham have become the 'epicentre' for social activity in London."
NONE of these places are boroughs
I was going to suggest they were Metropolitan boroughs (1900) but they're not that either.
Clapham was Wandsworth, Brockley Deptford and Peckham Camberwell.

Don't know if this has appeared elsewhere on U75, but here's the latest Hondo outrage:

surprised tom richardson's name's been obscured from the message - anyone who googles hondo & head of asset management can find that out in an instant. more surprising tho is the claim on richardson's linkedin page that he's skilled at dealing with tenants

I tried two Brixton DIY shops but they only had Stanley knives. WH Smith saved the day with this very posh craft knife and a pack of blades Artist knife, 1 pc
wow whs had somthing in stock - I'm amazed!
I went in there for some A4 card suitable for printing on and a couple of queer magazines and there was none.

That has to be the most disorganised/ understaffed / untidy WHS

wow whs had somthing in stock - I'm amazed!
I went in there for some A4 card suitable for printing on and a couple of queer magazines and there was none.

That has to be the most disorganised/ understaffed / untidy WHS
It was the last knife and the last pack of blades! About 20% of the shelves were empty. But they did have the latest Viz.

The former OMH site is gradually being revealed. It's another bland example of new London vernacular architecture, but I guess the one positive is - just like the new civic centre and Lambeth College campus - that the unity of red brick buildings stretching from the town hall to Corpus Christi Church is preserved. New London Vernacular - Wikipedia

Attachments

• IMG_20221019_131404.jpg
    IMG_20221019_131404.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
The former OMH site is gradually being revealed. It's another bland example of new London vernacular architecture, but I guess the one positive is - just like the new civic centre and Lambeth College campus - that the unity of red brick buildings stretching from the town hall to Corpus Christi Church is preserved. New London Vernacular - Wikipedia
In defence of new London vernacular at least it gives some consistency which most of Vauxhall/Nine Elms & Isle of Dogs show what a mess happens when everyone seems to be given free rein.

Personally would have loved to see OMH kelt and converted into flats which must have been a good possibility.

Brixton Chamber Orchestra/Ritzy Vampyr
Brixton Buzz buzzed out about this, and indeed it sounded tempting.
I tried to access via the BBuzz link but was then met with the requirement to log in (to the Picturehouse group)- which on booking then posed the problem: "Member not qualified to take this recognition."
Seems like as a "Silver Screen" oldie I am designated to the non-guest list guest list!
£20 it seems, which may or may not be value for money.
BCO Halloween Live poster_V1.jpg

That was quite interesting, looking at the stations with fresh eyes. I hadn't actually clocked why there are no ads on the opposite walls for example.

Living here so long you forget / don't realise there is a lack of signage to the overground rail station - do newcomers really not realise it is there?

Also blue sign at rear of tube station, presume that is left over from when it was a way into the the station along the parade of shops but maybe presenter didn't know that, as it was a while ago that it closed when tube was renovated. How long ago was that?

Is that even London vernacular? Certainly not a strong example. The closest in that stretch of development is on Porden Road which I rather like. Behind the new tower (which I am not a fan of probably mostly due to the horizontal beams and angled terraces).

The OMH development has certainly gone from a building with a strong identity to something very bland. I'd say inoffensive but that's not the case for the homes backing in to it. And the extra height blocks a lot of sunlight to the narrow park on rush common.

That was quite interesting, looking at the stations with fresh eyes. I hadn't actually clocked why there are no ads on the opposite walls for example.

Living here so long you forget / don't realise there is a lack of signage to the overground rail station - do newcomers really not realise it is there?

Also blue sign at rear of tube station, presume that is left over from when it was a way into the the station along the parade of shops but maybe presenter didn't know that, as it was a while ago that it closed when tube was renovated. How long ago was that?
There is also an empty retail unit next to that rear entrance behind roller shutters. They were looking at renting it out but the cost of fireproofing the wall between the unit and the corridor which leads to that rear door is so high that TfL decided not to. Apparently it has to be done to a special standard which would have cost the equivalent of 4-5 years' rent ten years ago.

Back
Top Bottom