Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

yeah, but there is no British empire now - it ended

It ended in name only, you are playing semantics. Empire is very much present and not only in mind and attitudes. For example What is the Commonwealth if not the British Empire 2.0? | Afua Hirsch

Your wilfully obtuse and conservative views are very dull to read on a board like this, unless one's up for an argument.

Rather a pointless survey I thought. The real answers for me would be -
if in need what do you do?
  • head for a Wetherspoons
  • head for a large British Rail station, where toilets are free (courtesy of Brainbox Failing Grayling - but for how long?)
Do you have to join Talk London to do that? Think unsubscribed a while ago as they sent too many mails.

Do you have to join Talk London to do that? Think unsubscribed a while ago as they sent too many mails.
Yes - though it turned out I had previously joined and forgotten my password.
You have to register with your email address so if you are still "live" on the system it will tell you to reset your password if you can't remember it.

It ended in name only, you are playing semantics. Empire is very much present and not only in mind and attitudes. For example What is the Commonwealth if not the British Empire 2.0? | Afua Hirsch

This is quite a useful guide to distinguishing between the two I thought

This looks like it could be good for someone, not in Brixton but really close!
Discover Creative Talents at New Saturday Club: Saturdays from 8th October
City & Guilds of London Art School (124 Kennington Park Road, SE11) has just launched a free Saturday Club for 13-16 year olds where Club members will use traditional skills to make a series of hand-crafted artworks with a contemporary twist! Using techniques like etching, casting in plaster, gilding with gold leaf onto glass and carving in wood, students will make their own, personal coat of arms to exhibit in the Summer Show in Somerset House, London. You can find more info on our website at bit.ly/NSC-CGLAS

The Club is FREE and runs on Saturdays, 10:00-13:00, during term time from 8 October 2022 until June 2023. To apply, visit City & Guilds of London Art School - National Saturday Club. All applications are welcome and priority will be given to applicants who reside or study in Southwark or Lambeth.

Reactions: CH1
Does anyone know what works all the temporary traffic lights are in aid of in Brixton?
Did this ever get answered? They’ve been there for ages, there’s been more than one occasion when they’ve stopped working so you can’t cross the road without risking life and limb, and I can’t see any road works anywhere!

Thanks. Be nice if detail was provided by Lambeth, it seems to be taking ages looks very expensive but also will do the same as before!
I reckon the temporary traffic light supplier has A CONTRACT and they are making sure they get paid every penny.

A response from the Independent Office for Police Conduct that is as predictable as the continued silence of those who rushed to the internet to publish misleading misinformation about the harrowing circumstances of Ian Taylor's death in custody before his body was even cold:

Police watchdog clears officers of wrongdoing after Black man dies begging for help after arrest
Ian Taylor's death is in the Standard and the Mirror today. It's hard to work out what new information is in the articles.

Anyone remember the kid in the Angell Town estate who was knocked off his mum's bike by a Range Rover, then stabbed? He's in a wheelchair. Two of his attackers have been found guilty. He doesn't seem to have any connection with them. There was no motive discussed at the trial. Back-from-the-dead teenager beams as his attackers are found guilty

“Happy-go-lucky” teenager who effectively died for nearly an hour after being repeatedly stabbed in the street beamed in court as his two attackers were found guilty.

James Bascoe-Smith, then aged 16, was left with profound and life-changing injuries when he was knocked off a bicycle and knifed by masked men in Brixton, south London, last February 23. The youngster, who had been testing a bicycle for his mother, shouted “call my mum, call my mum” before collapsing, the Old Bailey was told. His heart stopped and he effectively died in the street near his home, only to be brought back to life by medics.

James was doing well in his GCSEs and working as a coach at a local gym before he found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time. Now confined to a wheelchair, he smiled broadly while surrounded by tearful family members as a jury convicted two men over the attack after four days of deliberations. Leon Rashid, 20, from Thornton Heath, south London, and Taiquane Lewis, 18, Kennington, south London, were found guilty of conspiracy to murder. Rashid was also convicted of having an offensive weapon.

A third defendant, Stephanie Paez-Lopez, 20, from Clapham, south London, burst into tears as she was cleared of assisting an offender by helping to get rid of a Range Rover used in the attack.

Prosecutor Edward Brown KC summarised victim impact statements from James’s family. We truly need to end this cycle of violence that can often become generational. We need to eradicate knife violence on our streets
His mother, Lisa Bascoe-Smith, said: “James did not have any issues with anybody in the area. He is a happy boy, always smiling. “He is into music, DJ-ing, was studying music technology and has nothing to do with the gang lifestyle. “When I look back to the day of the incident, I remember James was so eager to help me out and make sure the bike was working. He wanted to look out for me. He wanted to make sure it was safe and 100% rideable. I remember standing on my doorstep waiting for him to come back. My phone rang and I saw James lying on the floor. I sunk when I saw him in a pool of blood. I keep asking myself, ‘How can it have happened in that space of a minute out of my eyesight?'”

Occupants of that stolen Range Rover and the occupants of a second car, a VW Passat, got out and he was attacked, in particular by three males, each using a potentially lethal weapon… before they then sped off in the same cars
Ms Bascoe-Smith said James has made some progress in his rehabilitation, adding: “He has gone from a sporty, carefree, happy-go-lucky boy to someone who has been bedridden and is struggling to move or communicate.”

James’s aunt, Rachel Duncan, said: “We truly need to end this cycle of violence that can often become generational. We need to eradicate knife violence on our streets.” Jurors had been told James was test-riding his mother’s bicycle when he hit by a stolen black Range Rover in Henry Road shortly after 6pm. Mr Brown said: “The Range Rover deliberately drove towards him, struck him and knocked him off his bike. “Occupants of that stolen Range Rover and the occupants of a second car, a VW Passat, got out and he was attacked, in particular by three males, each using a potentially lethal weapon… before they then sped off in the same cars.”

James’s mother, who had been waiting at her door, received a video call from his mobile phone as he lay on the ground. In effect, James Bascoe-Smith had died at the scene and was only brought back to life by the immediate and significant efforts of the treating medical professionals. Emergency services were alerted and paramedics arrived at 6.22pm.

Medics noted stab wounds to James’s left arm and gut and further injuries to the right thigh. Before he could be taken to hospital, his heart stopped – sparking a battle to save him. Mr Brown said: “This was a brutal and terrible attack. “In effect, James Bascoe-Smith had died at the scene and was only brought back to life by the immediate and significant efforts of the treating medical professionals. “However, he had suffered a significant period during which there was a lack of blood/oxygen to the brain – possibly as much as 50 minutes.”

Even though there was no reason for the attack, it was “very determined and concerted” and “very nearly succeeded” in killing the teenager, Mr Brown said. A selection of “terrifying” knives discarded by the fleeing attackers included a combat knife, a Rambo-style blade and a Zombie-style machete. The defendants were remanded into custody to be sentenced at a later date.

Previously, a fourth defendant, Patrick Fox-Pinto, 18, from Bow, east London, was cleared of all charges after the prosecution offered no evidence.
More detail from the Met: Two convicted after horrific stabbing left completely innocent teenage victim with life-changing injuries

Anyone remember the kid in the Angell Town estate who was knocked off his mum's bike by a Range Rover, then stabbed? He's in a wheelchair. Two of his attackers have been found guilty. He doesn't seem to have any connection with them. There was no motive discussed at the trial. Back-from-the-dead teenager beams as his attackers are found guilty

More detail from the Met: Two convicted after horrific stabbing left completely innocent teenage victim with life-changing injuries

yes i remember the attack happening, but it was not on angell town. henry road is on the fringes of the estate fka myatts field north. kid was very lucky to survive it iirc.

Don't click on this if you don't want to, but comedy read here, based on a Tatler article. The most teeth scraping phrase is describing Brixton as 'yo-pro', which I'm guessing means 'young professional' Tatler declares south London is on the rise
Trigger warning please - I missed the Mail logo on your link

Looking forward to bumping into something called "Finn Cardigan Bruces"

And I am pleased to have learned that being a Tablescaper is a career option

Trigger warning please - I missed the Mail logo on your link

Looking forward to bumping into something called "Finn Cardigan Bruces"

And I am pleased to have learned that being a Tablescaper is a career option
Sorry! Edit: have added source

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom