Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Brixton recreation centre is part of Open House London this year. Next Saturday

I've posted a piece here and added some quotes from above (I hope that's OK).

There's no crossing lights on the south side of the junction, so it affects coming up from central Brixton and having to cross Effra Road and Brixton Water Lane - and there's no crossing lights in place there.

I've emailed TfL and posted something here: Brixton’s most dangerous crossing? Where are the pedestrian lights for people crossing Effra Road into Sainsbury’s?

I've gone for a bit of a clickbaity title but I really do feel unsafe crossing this junction.

(Oh and if I've missed anything out, please mention it here)
Quite a few people have been commenting about how dangerous this crossing is on various social media channels so maybe the article might do some good.

There's unfortunately a surprisingly high amount of crossings with no pedestrian phase in London, still. The junction of Lordship Lane with the South Circular near the old Grove pub is another one.

Another one is at the top of Battersea Bridge, where a jogger was unfortunately hit and killed by a Range Rover at the start of this year. It took that for TfL to finally put in some pedestrian phasing, but only across one arm of the junction! So going in any other direction is still a gamble to try and cross. Parts of London really do treat you to a US-style pedestrian experience.

postbox-down.jpg

* large black dog misssing stockwell/north brixton*
if seen call ******
thanks !
UPDATED....DOG FOUND.

Last edited:
Just a heads up, for anyone still due their 'Cost of Living' Council Tax Energy Rebate & didn't get it via direct debit, that if you haven't managed to get to a post office and collect it, then the deadline has passed BUT apparently Lambeth will credit it to your Council Tax account by 30 September.

Why they couldn't just do that in the first place, who knows?

Support for energy prices – Council Tax rebate

Screenshot_20220914-142352_Chrome.jpg

slightly late but only got this yesterday evening.

Join us tomorrow at Brixton Recreation Centre at 6.30pm. Part of Lambeth Heritage Festival 2022, this is an opportunity to hear more about the Revisiting Brixton Rec project working to document the cultural and social histories of our recreation centre, how to collection will be assembled, archived and how it could be used to form part of the fabric of the building.

We'll hear more about the heritage and significance of The Rec and of the process to document our unique history.

Revisiting Brixton Rec - Help us to document the histories of The Rec
Date and time:
Thursday, 15 September 2022, 6.30pm to 8.30pm
Place: Foyer, Brixton Rec

Revisiting Brixton Rec - Help us to document the histories of The Rec
Please do bring along your photographs, trophies or medals, memories and stories. Or let us know about any memories of The Rec that can be preserved as part of the project. We want to capture your experiences of the energy, tournaments, conferences, exhibitions and parties at The Rec that make our building, and the ways we use it so special. You can also use this form to suggest people we should speak to or photographs that should be digitised
Revisiting Brixton Rec take part

All memories and materials will form part of the collection at Lambeth Archives.

Paid training opportunity for young people in Lambeth
As part of the Revisiting Brixton Rec project, there is a paid opportunity for four Lambeth residents (aged 18 - 30) to be trained in oral recording and transcription, scanning and photography, archiving and cataloging and to assist Kelly Foster during the Scan-a-thon events and oral history interviews.

If you are interested or think this opportunity is relevant to someone you know please contact us at hello@revisitingbrixtonrec.org

Just a heads up, for anyone still due their 'Cost of Living' Council Tax Energy Rebate & didn't get it via direct debit, that if you haven't managed to get to a post office and collect it, then the deadline has passed BUT apparently Lambeth will credit it to your Council Tax account by 30 September.

Why they couldn't just do that in the first place, who knows?
Maybe because there isn't yet a mechanism for withdrawing money from your council tax account. They're having to create a new "process".

I'm one of the people who missed the deadline. I thought it was 22 Sept, because that's what the council said in the letter. I tried to cash it two weeks before that, but it was declined, because unbeknownst to us, the council had brought the deadline forward to 31st August, so they could ensure they obeyed the government by paying out all the money by 30th Sept. Sticking it in our CT accounts apparently counts as paying it out, even if we can't get at it. I wonder if any other councils are in this mess?

Here are the emails they sent me:

Due to the Government’s Council Tax Energy Rebate fund closing on the 30th September, local councils have to ensure all payments have been made by that day. In order to ensure this deadline is met, we have had to cancel all of the uncashed vouchers from the Post Office and have the money returned to us. Once received, the uncashed payments will be credited to all applicable council tax accounts by the 30th September to ensure no resident misses out.

As at 31st August just over 80% of all Post Office vouchers issued had been collected, this ensured residents received the payment to help with their increased energy bills over the summer.

If your Post Office voucher has been cancelled it means you unfortunately didn’t cash it in time. We will be writing to all residents who have had their voucher cancelled or didn’t submit an application advising that the £150 will be credited to their council tax account. You will receive your letter advising the payment has been credited by 30th September 2022. Once credited you will be able to reclaim the rebate, we are currently working on a process to ensure getting this money to you, please refer to our website: www.lambeth.gov.uk for further development on how to claim your rebate.

Maybe the new process will be announced here Support for energy prices – Council Tax rebate

How desperately sad for the people who had worked to create this space, and others who enjoyed it:

Fury as Brixton community garden is destroyed by council contractors who mistook it for 'overgrown vegetation'

this happens a lot with contractors, the canal community are often up in arms about wildlife habitats being destroyed and pollinator friendly plants being chopped down at precislely the wrong time, the organisation in charge say its to create a cycle friendly route...( apologies for derail)

Last edited:
Maybe because there isn't yet a mechanism for withdrawing money from your council tax account. They're having to create a new "process".

I'm one of the people who missed the deadline. I thought it was 22 Sept, because that's what the council said in the letter. I tried to cash it two weeks before that, but it was declined, because unbeknownst to us, the council had brought the deadline forward to 31st August, so they could ensure they obeyed the government by paying out all the money by 30th Sept. Sticking it in our CT accounts apparently counts as paying it out, even if we can't get at it. I wonder if any other councils are in this mess?

Here are the emails they sent me:

Maybe the new process will be announced here Support for energy prices – Council Tax rebate

Ah that makes sense - about being unable to draw money from a council tax account.

Yes, my letter said I had 3 months from receiving it (mid-July so my deadline would have been mid-October), & it was a bit of a shock to turn up at the post office & be told "computer says you've missed the deadline" - I guess it will now be seamlessly absorbed into next years council tax account which is a bummer as I was saving it for this month & bills.

Although I am also an idiot for not cashing it as soon as got the letter.

Ah that makes sense - about being unable to draw money from a council tax account.

Yes, my letter said I had 3 months from receiving it (mid-July so my deadline would have been mid-October), & it was a bit of a shock to turn up at the post office & be told "computer says you've missed the deadline" - I guess it will now be seamlessly absorbed into next years council tax account which is a bummer as I was saving it for this month & bills.

Although I am also an idiot for not cashing it as soon as got the letter.
You'll be able to withdraw it quite soon...read the rest of my post!

Tulse Hill Road / Estate seem to be closed off by police - traffic diversion in place since early this morning.

But no idea what has happened

Shooting apparently. There’s a community reassurance meeting for residents at jubilee hall at 1300 today

Thanks.

Apparently 2 men shot and injured, with the incident happening over a wide area.

Some people I know went to the meeting and, as you would expect, did not really learn anything.

anyone know who the Spartacus league are?

edit to add I see they originated with ww1 german communists

'The Spartacist League is the name of several Trotskyist groups, which are sections of the International Communist League (Fourth Internationalist):'

but does anyone know them?
This is where it comes from Call for protest: Down with the monarchy!

As a matter of interest they think that the war in Ukraine is the result of relentless US imperialist aggression over many years. Nevertheless they are not ones to throw in their lot with Stop the War Coalition.
Rather they would prefer both the Ukrainian workers and soldiers AND the Russian ones overthrew their oppressors and achieved communism. Ukrainian, Russian Workers: Turn the Guns Against Your Rulers!

Last edited:
More on the planned protest tomorrow. Good luck to them. I'm finding the unrelenting almost compulsory mourning for some one I don't know or care about getting on my nerves.

Was at event unrelated to the death of queen today. We were all "asked" to observe one minute silence before start out of "respect" for the Queen.

I'm glad I live in Brixton/ LJ where this over the top mourning doesn't hold.

IMG_20220918_173533.jpgIMG_20220918_173611.jpgIMG_20220918_173621.jpg

This is where it comes from Call for protest: Down with the monarchy!

As a matter of interest they think that the war in Ukraine is the result of relentless US imperialist aggression over many years. Nevertheless they are not ones to throw in their lot with Stop the War Coalition.
Rather they would prefer both the Ukrainian workers and soldiers AND the Russian ones overthrew their oppressors and achieved communism. Ukrainian, Russian Workers: Turn the Guns Against Your Rulers!

They are right on Kenya and Malaysia. The Mau Mau rebellion and Malaysian emergency took place in HRH reign.

I saw image projected on side of national theatre last night . Her visiting Pakistan. A rose tinted view of the Commonwealth.

In fact the Empire required a lot of violence to keep under control.

Which somehow isn't touched on when the "Nation" is reminded about the "service" of her Majesty.

Back
Top Bottom