Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

They are right on Kenya and Malaysia. The Mau Mau rebellion and Malaysian emergency took place in HRH reign.

I saw image projected on side of national theatre last night . Her visiting Pakistan. A rose tinted view of the Commonwealth.

In fact the Empire required a lot of violence to keep under control.

Which somehow isn't touched on when the "Nation" is reminded about the "service" of her Majesty.
Mau Mau was imparted to British cinema audiences via such cinema fare as "Simba" - starring Dirk Bogarde.
I suppose if this was considered "unfair" by current standards one could complain to the Methodist Coference - since the Methodists were big beneficiaries of the Rank Organisation.

One could ask them to decolonise themselves - though I suspect the Methodists severed all connections with Rank long ago when Rank got into Bingo halls (Methodists abhor gambling more than anything else in my experience. I should know - I went to a Methodist school.)

Strange time for us republicans. I observed a minutes silence at a pub just now but on the other hand, what the duck?

What I object to in the present circumstances is that being a republican means one is outside the "Nation". I read article by a Fabian in Guardian today accusing republicans of being "shrill". Not level headed progressives.

Its that republicans aren't even acknowledged in last few days. Its outside the realms of polite society.

So I looked at recent polling. May 2022

Platinum Jubilee: where does public opinion stand on the monarchy? | YouGov

Overall all about 20 percent want monarchy replaced by elected head of state. With younger adults and Labour voters this increases to larger proportion. So with younger generation and Labour voters a significant portion of the "Nation" want monarchy replaced by elected head of state.

But know this part of the Nation has no elected representatives who speak for them. Even if one keeps this to a fifth of the "Nation" it should imo have advocates in our elected system who speak for us.

But no. No MP is going to put the republican case now. Or any local Lambeth Cllr.

What with Starmer telling MPs what to say.

Its imo an appalling state of affairs and shows how shallow democracy is in this country.

The imo cringe making comments from the Labour Group in Lambeth Council are winding me up. As was the "ceremony " organised by the Council to proclaim the King.

Last edited:
What I object to in the present circumstances is that being a republican means one is outside the "Nation". I read article by a Fabian in Guardian today accusing republicans of being "shrill". Not level headed progressives.

Its that republicans aren't even acknowledged in last few days. Its outside the realms of polite society.

So I looked at recent polling. May 2022

Platinum Jubilee: where does public opinion stand on the monarchy? | YouGov

Overall all about 20 percent want monarchy replaced by elected head of state. With younger adults and Labour voters this increases to almost even figures. So with younger generation and Labour voters a significant portion of the "Nation" want monarchy replaced by elected head of state.

But now this part of the Nation has no elected representatives who speak for them. Even if one keeps this to a fifth of the "Nation" it should imo have advocates in our elected system who speak for us.

But no. No MP is going to put the republican case now.

What with Starmer telling MPs what to say.

Its imo an appalling state of affairs and shows how shallow democracy is in this country.

The imo cringe making comments from the Labour Group in Lambeth Council are winding me up. As was the "ceremony " organised by the Council to proclaim the King.
They had an Australian opinion pollster on TalkTV Trisha this afternoon.
She was contrasting referenda with respect to compulsory voting (as in Australia) with our system of 20-70% participation depending.
She said in Australia to abolish the monarch required the constitution to be changed - which required a majority, overall AND in each state. As per the 1999 Australian referendum she thought this was still impossible.
On the other hand she also said that if there had been compulsory voting in the UK Brexit would have one by 60-70% to 30-40%.
Not sure what the basis of her calculations were - I'm just reporting it.
She actually thought there was more chance of England scrapping monarchy than Australia - because of our voting system. So you republicans have a carrot dangling there.

Yes the double majority Australian system does seem to basically stop amendments succeeding.

NZ is the easy one. No entrenched constitution or anything really.

Reactions: CH1
The Spartacist demo in Windrush Square passed without incident, even though the placards argued for the guns in Ukraine to turn the other way, for a Soviet Europe.

Sainsbury's by the tube opened at 3.

They are right on Kenya and Malaysia. The Mau Mau rebellion and Malaysian emergency took place in HRH reign.

I saw image projected on side of national theatre last night . Her visiting Pakistan. A rose tinted view of the Commonwealth.

In fact the Empire required a lot of violence to keep under control.

Which somehow isn't touched on when the "Nation" is reminded about the "service" of her Majesty.
Whereas communism is famously achieved via non violent means.

What a bunch of wankers

Stone the crows! I only went to Tescos this afternoon to get £10 out of their cash machines to pay the Albanian mafia-controlled cash-only barber (latest conspiracy © Richard Tice, Nigel Farage @REFORM UK)
Tescos have ripped them out - they obviously want to "crack down" on Albanian barbers.

The up side was on the scene of the crime (cash machineocide that is) I encountered my old mucker Mike. formerly treasurer of the Oval House theatre (now Brixton House Theatre). We're looking forward to the new theatre season. Mike looked the picture of health - an example to myself. Just goes to show keeping trim is a big boost for a septuagenarian.

There were shelf-loads of exotic yellow label good in Tescos. I dare say food banks don't take yellow label stuff - or "foreign muck". I do though.

edit =Price to Tice

Last edited:
They ripped them out about a year and a half ago, only to put new ones in a couple of months later.

They were quite unreliable cash machines, not great with them being some of the last free to use ones on Acre Lane.

Reactions: CH1
Sorry I don't know what you're going on about. Can you explain.
I responded to you responding to daphnem which I took to be your making common cause with putin or engaging in whataboutism about Russian aggression/“western culpability” . Looking back it was less clear so..Apologies if I got that wrong. Did I? I’m sensitive on this topic.

I responded to you responding to daphnem which I took to be your making common cause with putin or engaging in whataboutism about Russian aggression/“western culpability” . Looking back it was less clear so..Apologies if I got that wrong. Did I? I’m sensitive on this topic.

You got the wrong end of the stick. Ive been complaining about the monarchy. Not to worry I read posts wrong sometimes. :thumbs:The uncritical way its been portrayed. For example listening to World Service on Sunday and they were talking to a Anglican bishop and he was saying what a great symbol of peace the Queen was. This goes unremarked.

I've been reading Legacy of Violence: A history of the British Empire. Half way through. One thing the British ruling class did was craft an image of its later Empire as benevolent. The monarchy played a role in this as the head of its Empire and later Commonwealth.

Apart from that I've no problem people queuing up to see the Queen in Westminster or going to line the streets for the funeral.

What I object to is having to be forced to go along with it.

Example. I had work lined up for last Monday. It cost me a lot due to the short notice Bank Holiday. I lost money I could have made and Im now doing a four day week. I really didn't need this. The company I was going to work for had to reschedule their event at short notice. I expect a lot of people and medium / small sized companies lost money at a time when any penny counts. Or at very least got stressed out trying to reorganise. As they did and I did.

I don't see why the funeral couldn't have been on Sunday. The people who make these decisions don't live in same world as ordinary people.

Or it could have been on Monday but not making it a compulsory Bank Holiday. The company I was going to work for on Monday took decision Im sure because if they went ahead they would have got bad publicity due to not showing so called "respect" . I don't think any of them would have complained about working on the original day.

I don't know anyone whose been that interested in the Queen or monarchy to extent they wanted day off to watch funeral live.

Its coercive in very British way. Not quite telling you but telling you none the less.

Last edited:
1663739747506.pnghave been campaigning about raw sewage in Lambeth council tenants flats, I'm wondering if this is part of the now defunct Acorn of the USA. They also pop up in Scotland under a different name. Still on about raw sewage.

To me this looks like a cult organised around housing issues. They popped up in Coldharbour Lane/Loughborough Junction nearly ten years back, campaigning for a pedestrian crossing (which did get put in - whether from their intervention I don't know).

I do have recollection of a community meeting called by the Acord founder in 100 Barrington Road (Brixton East). He was rather frustrated by a number of Loughborough EMB types who were there who were appalled when he suggested members should pay a monthly subscription of £5. "Why don't you get funding from the council?" one of these luminaries piped up.

You got the wrong end of the stick. Ive been complaining about the monarchy. Not to worry I read posts wrong sometimes. :thumbs:The uncritical way its been portrayed. For example listening to World Service on Sunday and they were talking to a Anglican bishop and he was saying what a great symbol of peace the Queen was. This goes unremarked.

I've been reading Legacy of Violence: A history of the British Empire. Half way through. One thing the British ruling class did was craft an image of its later Empire as benevolent. The monarchy played a role in this as the head of its Empire and later Commonwealth.

Apart from that I've no problem people queuing up to see the Queen in Westminster or going to line the streets for the funeral.

What I object to is having to be forced to go along with it.

Example. I had work lined up for last Monday. It cost me a lot due to the short notice Bank Holiday. I lost money I could have made and Im now doing a four day week. I really didn't need this. The company I was going to work for had to reschedule their event at short notice. I expect a lot of people and medium / small sized companies lost money at a time when any penny counts. Or at very least got stressed out trying to reorganise. As they did and I did.

I don't see why the funeral couldn't have been on Sunday. The people who make these decisions don't live in same world as ordinary people.

Or it could have been on Monday but not making it a compulsory Bank Holiday. The company I was going to work for on Monday took decision Im sure because if they went ahead they would have got bad publicity due to not showing so called "respect" . I don't think any of them would have complained about working on the original day.

I don't know anyone whose been that interested in the Queen or monarchy to extent they wanted day off to watch funeral live.

Its coercive in very British way. Not quite telling you but telling you none the less.
Ok sorry for getting that wrong!

I’m with you on the toadying. It got so putrid that I had to leave the country for the duration, fortunately my work means I can.

Hopefully people will have come to their senses in another week.

Ok sorry for getting that wrong!

I’m with you on the toadying. It got so putrid that I had to leave the country for the duration, fortunately my work means I can.

Hopefully people will have come to their senses in another week.
Gramsci (in particular) - this detailed analysis of Putin/Ukraine fascinated me. Not being au fait with dialectical Marxist materialism, some was a bit over my head - but I like the fact that Paul Mason is our own local Cassandra.
A dicky-bird told me he drinks in the Dog House at Kennington - if his missus allows him out!

Gramsci (in particular) - this detailed analysis of Putin/Ukraine fascinated me. Not being au fait with dialectical Marxist materialism, some was a bit over my head - but I like the fact that Paul Mason is our own local Cassandra.
A dicky-bird told me he drinks in the Dog House at Kennington - if his missus allows him out!

Yes he used to live nearby a few years ago and probably still does

Sorry for not replying earlier - I have you on ignore.

There is no empire any more.

Unless you are talking about Star Wars?

If u have me on ignore why are you making comments on my posts?

Seems a rather odd thing to do

And this is post is just a deliberate wind up.

Why are you doing this?

I can understand that posters put some people on ignore. So they don't have to interact with them .

Your having me on ignore and then popping up to wind me up.

If u have me on ignore why are you making comments on my posts?

Seems a rather odd thing to do

And this is post is just a deliberate wind up.

Why are you doing this?

I can understand that posters put some people on ignore. So they don't have to interact with them .

Your having me on ignore and then popping up to wind me up.
I've made it mutual ignore now so please report any further responses.

On Ukraine. Due to this I've put the politics boards on ignore.

I'm out of step on a lot of issues. Brexit being one of them. I'm a Remainer.

Ukraine and the hard left on politics boards expect 100% support for the war effort against Russia.

So I'm off.

Particularly as with the way these boards work if you're not sound on one issue then criticism of your posts on unrelated issues can happen.

On the above I'm questioning whether being on Urban is worth the stress.

Last edited:

Ukraine and the hard left on politics boards expect 100% support for the war effort against Russia.

So I'm off.

Particularly as with the way these boards work if you're not sound on one issue then criticism of your posts on unrelated issues can happen.

Maybe I just use threads I basically fit in on? Even the thread "Why the Lib Dems are shit" I've posted on without generating more than a couple of hostile quotes.
But then the Lib Dems are not topical, whereas the war in Ukraine obviously is.
The Covid thread is pretty much full of people who are anti anti-vaxers. But what anti vaxer posts on Urban? Never seen that myself.

So I'm off.

Mate, just put people on ignore. There's plenty of posters who aren't as polarised as you're saying.

So I'm off.

Well whilst we may not agree about Ukraine (no need for us to debate here) I do value your contribution generally and especially locally. I would not know half what was happening in Brixton without your regular updates.

There is very much still empire, the legacy of brutality and discrimination lives on.

I think you need to learn some history out of the whitewashed bits you think you know.
yeah, but there is no British empire now - it ended

yeah, but there is no British empire now - it ended

The British Empire is like "Ghosts":
"In Richard Eyre’s Olivier-award-winning adaptation of Ibsen’s groundbreaking masterpiece, long-held secrets are revealed, uncomfortable truths are faced, and a troubled family meets a cruel and unavoidable fate. On her estate in rural Norway, Helene Alving lives with the bitter memory of her cruel, philandering late husband. To escape the ghosts that plague her, she decides to tell her son, Oswald, the truth about his outwardly respectable father when Oswald returns home from Paris. However, Oswald has returned home with a secret of his own. After living as a painter in Paris, his health has deteriorated with the effects of long-term venereal disease and wretched Oswald holds himself accountable for his own fate. Aware of Regina’s (Helen’s maid) attachment for him, Oswald hatches a plan to marry her so that she can look after him as he gets progressively worse. However, Helene must reveal two uncomfortable truths that shatter Oswald’s world. Not only is his syphilis inherited from his lecherous father, but Regina is his half-sister. With these secrets out in the open, Regina flees and Oswald quickly declines, begging his mother to end his life while she still can. Hard-hitting, emotionally gripping, and full of moral questions, Richard Eyre’s production strips back Ibsen’s work to it’s most intense form"

Back
Top Bottom