Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Saw this on the wall outside the Risky shop on Brixton Road
A gambling den on the high street?

View attachment 341974View attachment 341975
I hope the Police are objecting. We know that the Police object to public conveniences (particularly free ones) because they cause drug dealing and prostitution.
It seems gaming arcades cause drug dealing and destitution. HOWEVER IEA - who seem to have many of the new government in their pocket take gambling money -as well as tobacco money.
1662785957074.png
Cigar-chomping minister of Health (Daily Mirror)

Seems to be these guys.

Re Admiral Wikipedia says their parent company is Novomatic. Novomatic were instrumental in "Black Jack Gate" a Polish government scandal where then Prime Minister Donald Tusk's government was compromised by Novomatic lobbyists. Tusk had planned to increase gaming duties - and Black Jack Gate put an end to that.

Nice people to do business with. Novomatic - Wikipedia

A few years ago the planning regime allowed a financial services building (bank building society etc) to become a betting shop or amusement arcade as they were in the same use class. I'm fairly certain that this was addressed, and they now need to get a change of use. The licensing legislation makes more difficult to object successfully to the grant of a licence as the Council's hands are tied on the grounds that they can accept objections to a licence application. Much easier to object to a planning application (NOT saying that objections shouldn't be made to the licence though)

Reactions: CH1
It says on there that objections can be made by

A person who lives sufficiently close to the premises to be likely to be affect d by the authorised activities
A person who has business interests that might be affected by the authorised activities
A person who represents someone in any of the above two categories

Does that mean that as someone who lives up the Hill but walks along the high street day and night cannot make an objection, on the grounds that I live to far away? What is “sufficiently close”?

I think you can make an objection and within your objection make your argument as to how & why you would be likely to be affected by the activities.

Anyone know why all the pedestrian crossing lights have been removed from the junction of Effra Road and Brixton Water Lane (by the Sainsbury's)?
It's been like that for ages and it feels really unsafe crossing there.

I'm starting to have memories of the death of Lady Di. I got the tube today. At each tube station a sign with their condolences. Adverts pulled and wall to wall pictures of Her Majesty.

Has this country gone back in time? The wall to wall deference to the Royal family.

btw the tube wasn't stopping at Green Park as so many people were going to Buck palace.

The Mall is from Friday was closed off to traffic due to the numbers of people.

Its going to be weeks of this.

Going back to Lady Di. The callous treatment of her by the "Firm" at one point led to questioning of the future of the Monarchy.

That's all forgotten now in the adulation of the deceased monarch and her replacement by Charles the third.

Why has all that been forgotten?

I'm starting to have memories of the death of Lady Di. I got the tube today. At each tube station a sign with their condolences. Adverts pulled and wall to wall pictures of Her Majesty.

Has this country gone back in time? The wall to wall deference to the Royal family.

btw the tube wasn't stopping at Green Park as so many people were going to Buck palace.

The Mall is from Friday was closed off to traffic due to the numbers of people.

Its going to be weeks of this.

Going back to Lady Di. The callous treatment of her by the "Firm" at one point led to questioning of the future of the Monarchy.

That's all forgotten now in the adulation of the deceased monarch and her replacement by Charles the third.

Why has all that been forgotten?
Not surprising, every media outlet has been ready for this for years.
Remembering the fuss over Diana the public out pouring of grief was like mass hysteria, it was weird and it made me feel quite unsafe,

Anyone know why all the pedestrian crossing lights have been removed from the junction of Effra Road and Brixton Water Lane (by the Sainsbury's)?
Yep - horrible junction. It’s been like that for ever or at least ages though or has something changed?

I know councillors are aware and also concerned but seems complicated as roads mixture of TfL and local roads.

The junction qnd gyratory seems to be just about prioritising cars which is very depressing.

I thought that the 'new' Sainsbury's development was supposed to provide a pelican crossing from one side of Brixton Water Lane to the other, but that never happened and so it's never had a proper crossing. It's a really dangerous junction.
I have no idea why all crossings have no been removed. That's so shit.
It's a TfL route I think, so you could report? I use Fix My Street with some success

I thought that the 'new' Sainsbury's development was supposed to provide a pelican crossing from one side of Brixton Water Lane to the other, but that never happened and so it's never had a proper crossing. It's a really dangerous junction.
I have no idea why all crossings have no been removed. That's so shit.
It's a TfL route I think, so you could report? I use Fix My Street with some success
Apparently Sainsbury’s paid for a consultation for a crossing and were going to contribute to the costs but TfL vetoed it.

It’s all about prioritising traffic which is crap.

Last edited:
I've posted a piece here and added some quotes from above (I hope that's OK).

There's no crossing lights on the south side of the junction, so it affects coming up from central Brixton and having to cross Effra Road and Brixton Water Lane - and there's no crossing lights in place there.

I've emailed TfL and posted something here: Brixton’s most dangerous crossing? Where are the pedestrian lights for people crossing Effra Road into Sainsbury’s?

I've gone for a bit of a clickbaity title but I really do feel unsafe crossing this junction.

(Oh and if I've missed anything out, please mention it here)

Last edited:
Definitely worth the walk up from Brixton - don't miss it!

In photos: the incredible labyrinth of polychromatic tunnels at Colourscape, Clapham Common, Sept 2022

In photos: the incredible labyrinth of polychromatic tunnels at Colourscape, Clapham Common, Sept 2022

It really is quite an experience. You can take your time wandering about or just have a sit down in a room that suits your mood.
One thing: be sure to have nice socks on as you have to take your shoes off! :)

anyone checking out anothers socks in an immersive event should think carefully about why they are there.
...stinky ones might spoil the ambience.

Last edited:
I'm just offering good etiquette.

apologies, its my asd, your post looked more like fashion advice, most of my socks are a bit worn, need new ones for autumn winter....
but i change them daily and wash them, i might not feel comfortable in holey baggy socks if i thought people might be making judgements on me in an art space.... :(

Last edited:
It really is quite an experience. You can take your time wandering about or just have a sit down in a room that suits your mood.
One thing: be sure to have nice socks on as you have to take your shoes off! :)
I wish you'd reviewed it a few days ago, today was the last day. Oh well.

There is something about this that reminds me tugging one's forelock and old fashioned deference that I'd thought had gone in the 60s.

This spectacle was put on by the party of the working masses. The workers who imo have derived no benefit from monarchy and what it represents over the centuries.

I wish you'd reviewed it a few days ago, today was the last day. Oh well.
No it's not - read the article!
It goes on every day until the 18th Sept!

No it's not - read the article!
It goes on until the 18th Sept!

Sorry, I got my dates mixed up. So thanks for the review. Unfortunately I can't take my kids next weekend (what I wanted to do) but I've forwarded the link to their dad so he can.

Back
Top Bottom