Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

So Crossrail is going to open on 24 May. I've been lucky enough to have already had a ride and it's stunning. It will have a big effect on public transport across London.

Except for those of us who live in Brixton, due to the lack of any direct link to the Victoria Line. I expect to use it to get to Heathrow, but otherwise, it's difficult to think of many journeys when it will be of much use. And even getting to Heathrow will require at least a double change and long walks.
However - pretty handy for anyone in Loughborough Junction or Herne Hill or Tulse Hill, or those edges of Brixton, as it'll have a direct interchange with Thameslink at Farringdon.

So Crossrail is going to open on 24 May. I've been lucky enough to have already had a ride and it's stunning. It will have a big effect on public transport across London.

Except for those of us who live in Brixton, due to the lack of any direct link to the Victoria Line. I expect to use it to get to Heathrow, but otherwise, it's difficult to think of many journeys when it will be of much use. And even getting to Heathrow will require at least a double change and long walks.

Well Thameslink to Farringdon helps a bit for Herne or Tulse Hills too

However - pretty handy for anyone in Loughborough Junction or Herne Hill or Tulse Hill, or those edges of Brixton, as it'll have a direct interchange with Thameslink at Farringdon.
Here's what the marvellous TravelTime website says is a 20-minute walk from each of those 3 stations. It also tells me I live 20 mins from Brixton tube, which I normally allow 15 mins for, so I think it's a fairly leisurely pace.

Screenshot 2022-05-04 at 16.28.22.png

Looks like it might not take into account things like Brockwell Park being closed at night - which would affect how long it takes to walk from certain points along Tulse Hill (the road) to Herne Hill station.

Same for people who live on the opposite side of Ruskin Park from Loughborough Junction station.

Shouldnt the overground from LJ provide a direct link via farringdon?

Even though the journey would initially be heading in the wrong direction to Heathrow, I wonder if door-to-door it’ll be quicker for Brixton, LJ, HH and TH residents to get to the airport by the route you suggest than by the pre-existing Tube option via Victoria line to Green Park + Piccadilly line.

Given that on a bad traffic day it can get a good 20 minutes to just to get to Brixton, it’s probably quite faster to use Crossrail from Farringdon.

Another option for Brixton people will be Vic line to Stockwell then Northern line to Tottenham Court Road. Unfortunately that now means a change at Kennington. But both of those tube changes are quite quick/easy ones.

Another option for Brixton people will be Vic line to Stockwell then Northern line to Tottenham Court Road. Unfortunately that now means a change at Kennington. But both of those tube changes are quite quick/easy ones.
Yes, I thought about that. But we don't know yet how long, in practice, the walk will be at TCR.
Another possibility, when Bond Street finally opens, is Victoria Line to Oxford Circus, exit the station and enter the Crossrail entrance in Hanover Square.

Anyone else see the fly past easier today, a jumbo yet and 2 fighter planes. it was apparently for the Japanese PM at downing Street, total waste of money and pollution.

Grabbed these very grainy images, thought it was something much more sinister at first.

Attachments

• PXL_20220505_101003309.jpg
    PXL_20220505_101003309.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20220505_100957707.jpg
    PXL_20220505_100957707.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 19
Yes, I thought about that. But we don't know yet how long, in practice, the walk will be at TCR.
Another possibility, when Bond Street finally opens, is Victoria Line to Oxford Circus, exit the station and enter the Crossrail entrance in Hanover Square.
With all that changing you may as well just do Brixton/Oxford Circus/Paddington. The Victoria-Bakerloo change at OC is about as quick as it gets.

Police say six-year-old twins reported missing from Lambeth have been found

FSMQZYxX0AQ6Llo

Found !!!

Evelyn Awuah, 42, of no fixed address, was charged on Sunday 8 May 2022, with abducting two children in Brixton following an incident relating to the disappearance of the youngsters.

Evelyn Awuah is known to the children, who were reported missing on the evening of Saturday 7 May 2022 and found safe and well later the same evening.

Evelyn Awuah appeared at Croydon Magistrates’ Court earlier today, where she was remanded in custody to appear at Croydon Crown Court on Monday 6 June 2022.

Evelyn Awuah, 42, of no fixed address, was charged on Sunday 8 May 2022, with abducting two children in Brixton following an incident relating to the disappearance of the youngsters.

Evelyn Awuah is known to the children, who were reported missing on the evening of Saturday 7 May 2022 and found safe and well later the same evening.

Evelyn Awuah appeared at Croydon Magistrates’ Court earlier today, where she was remanded in custody to appear at Croydon Crown Court on Monday 6 June 2022.
She seems to be on Instagram if you want to probe further Evelyn Awuah's (@evelynawuah) profile on Instagram • 0 posts
The account is set to "private". Not being on Instagram I don't know what that means.

Back
Top Bottom