Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

bag of light bulbs....plus paint
Light bulb recycling confuses me, so I've done some homework.

The short answer is, put them all in the energy-saving light bulb recycling bin inside Tesco on Acre Lane. It's near the door. (It also takes batteries, water filters and printer cartridges.) Some of your bulbs might not be the recycleable kind, but you can let the recycling plant deal with that. No doubt they are geared up to sort the bulbs.

The long answer may help you identify the non-recycleable bulbs, but it's very long and boring.

All energy-saving bulbs are recycleable. They generally run quite cool, not too hot to touch when they are switched on. The glass part is usually attached to a white plastic part with masses of numbers and text printed on it. The glass is always frosted/opaque. There are 3 kinds, fluorescent, HID and LED:

hWezucD.jpg

It's particularly important to recycle the fluorescent and HID ones, because they have mercury in them. If they go in a landfill or incinerator the mercury gets into the environment: https://www.des.nh.gov/sites/g/files/ehbemt341/files/documents/2020-01/ard-28.pdf Recycling and Disposal of Old Light Bulbs.

The old-style high energy light bulbs are not recycleable at all. They should go in your non-recycling bin, not with your recycleable glass. There are 2 kinds, incandescent and halogen. They are generally much too hot to touch when they're on, and the glass part is usually attached to a shiny metal part with very few numbers printed on it, or none at all. The glass is sometimes clear, revealing a thin wire which heats up and glows when the bulb is switched on.

All non-recycleable bulbs end up in the incinerator or landfill. So feel free to repurpose or upcycle them. You could dispose of your old paint at the same time. HACK: How to Turn A Light Bulb Into A Paint Bomb – Tutorial | Brandalism A handy accessory for a cyclist who may wish to prevent a punishment pass.

Recycling sites say that there are lots of light bulb recycling bins in shops, including Argos, big Tescos, Currys, Robert Dyas, Homebase, charity shops, and more. But this info may not be current. For example, the Brixton Argos hasn't had a light bulb recycling bin since the pandemic started. I've not tried the Currys on Effra Road. Here are some unreliable searchable maps Local recycling - London Recycles Light bulb recycling near me

Light bulb recycling confuses me, so I've done some homework.

The short answer is, put them all in the energy-saving light bulb recycling bin inside Tesco on Acre Lane. It's near the door. (It also takes batteries, water filters and printer cartridges.) Some of your bulbs might not be the recycleable kind, but you can let the recycling plant deal with that. No doubt they are geared up to sort the bulbs.

The long answer may help you identify the non-recycleable bulbs, but it's very long and boring.

All energy-saving bulbs are recycleable. They generally run quite cool, not too hot to touch when they are switched on. The glass part is usually attached to a white plastic part with masses of numbers and text printed on it. The glass is always frosted/opaque. There are 3 kinds, fluorescent, HID and LED:

hWezucD.jpg

It's particularly important to recycle the fluorescent and HID ones, because they have mercury in them. If they go in a landfill or incinerator the mercury gets into the environment: https://www.des.nh.gov/sites/g/files/ehbemt341/files/documents/2020-01/ard-28.pdf Recycling and Disposal of Old Light Bulbs.

The old-style high energy light bulbs are not recycleable at all. They should go in your non-recycling bin, not with your recycleable glass. There are 2 kinds, incandescent and halogen. They are generally much too hot to touch when they're on, and the glass part is usually attached to a shiny metal part with very few numbers printed on it, or none at all. The glass is sometimes clear, revealing a thin wire which heats up and glows when the bulb is switched on.

All non-recycleable bulbs end up in the incinerator or landfill. So feel free to repurpose or upcycle them. You could dispose of your old paint at the same time. HACK: How to Turn A Light Bulb Into A Paint Bomb – Tutorial | Brandalism A handy accessory for a cyclist who may wish to prevent a punishment pass.

Recycling sites say that there are lots of light bulb recycling bins in shops, including Argos, big Tescos, Currys, Robert Dyas, Homebase, charity shops, and more. But this info may not be current. For example, the Brixton Argos hasn't had a light bulb recycling bin since the pandemic started. I've not tried the Currys on Effra Road. Here are some unreliable searchable maps Local recycling - London Recycles Light bulb recycling near me
Currys take pretty much anything electrical - just put it in the big box near the door.

Looks like something unfortunate has happened outside the town hall. Acre lane is tapped off and is road closed. Not sure what happened but hopefully everyone is ok.

Anyone with information regarding the stabbing of a 16-year old child in St Matthew's Road at around 7.30 p.m. yesterday evening (Monday 4 April 2022), resulting in life-threatening injuries, is asked to call 101 quoting CAD 6036/04Apr. To remain anonymous contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

16 year-old Rommel McKoy, who was stabbed on Monday 4 April 2022, died from his injuries on Wednesday 20 April 2022.

A 16-year-old boy was arrested on Friday 15 April 2022; a 17-year-old boy was arrested on Wednesday 20 April 2022. Both have been bailed until mid-May 2022.

Anyone with information is asked to call 101 quoting CAD 6036/04Apr. To remain anonymous contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Any young people who has information about violence or knife crime can visit www.fearless.org/ - which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week , 365 days a year - where they can pass on information anonymously - their IP address will not be traced.

NLA is an advocacy organisation that works to better the quality of the built environment in London. They do a lot of good. Characterising them as a bunch of chancers is deeply unfair.

Like lots of non-profits working to improve a professional sector, they rely on funding from clients and practitioners in that industry. It's a bit of a Faustian pact, but they need to get funded somehow. I would expect a members' event such as this to be priced at a level that the industry attendees to which it is targeted find reasonable, and at the very least to recover its costs. It's not a community event, or even a public one, for that matter. It's a professional conference on a Monday afternoon.

NLA is an advocacy organisation that works to better the quality of the built environment in London. They do a lot of good. Characterising them as a bunch of chancers is deeply unfair.

Like lots of non-profits working to improve a professional sector, they rely on funding from clients and practitioners in that industry. It's a bit of a Faustian pact, but they need to get funded somehow. I would expect a members' event such as this to be priced at a level that the industry attendees to which it is targeted find reasonable, and at the very least to recover its costs. It's not a community event, or even a public one, for that matter. It's a professional conference on a Monday afternoon.
I imagine NLA frames its recommendations in line with modern developer requirements - ie within neighbourhoods built in London and Manchester vernacular - all square - no features. Personally I'm all with John Ruskin. I think we deserve a beautiful environment, not just a cheap functional one.

Very unusual for a biker to kill someone. Usually it's the biker who dies. Which would have been fairer in this case.
Some years ago I came across a pedestrian who had been struck by a motor-cycle while crossing Coldharbour Lane. An horrendous sight. I didn't see the accident, but some of the onlookers claimed the cyclist was performing wheelies. The bike was in pieces and so was he. Sadly, the pedestrian was killed instantly.

Some years ago I came across a pedestrian who had been struck by a motor-cycle while crossing Coldharbour Lane. An horrendous sight. I didn't see the accident, but some of the onlookers claimed the cyclist was performing wheelies. The bike was in pieces and so was he. Sadly, the pedestrian was killed instantly.
Can you confirm was it 'cyclist' or a 'motorcyclist'?

Every year there are flowers tied to a lamp post in Electric Lane outside Market House. Someone here told me they are in memory of a pedestrian killed by a motorcyclist.

I imagine NLA frames its recommendations in line with modern developer requirements - ie within neighbourhoods built in London and Manchester vernacular - all square - no features.
No. They don’t. I really do recommend people look them up.

No. They don’t. I really do recommend people look them up.
NLA chair seems to be a Knight Frank person, although they do have Barbara Weiss on the board.
They charge £20 per month for membership which gives access to reports.
(£5 per month for students, £10 per month for overseas membership)
There is a free membership for research purposes - one download only

So if I join can I choose to download the London Tall Buildings survey 2022 OR the talk introducing it?
A judgement of Solomon there.

Edit - there was a "moth" in there

NLA chair seems to be a Knight Frank person, although they do have Barbara Weiss on the board.
They charge £20 per month for membership which gives access to reports.
(£5 per month for students, £10 per month for overseas membership)
There is a free membership for research purposes - one download only

So if I join can I choose to download the London Tall Buildings survey 2022 OR the talk introducing it?
A judgement of Solomon there.

Edit - there was a "moth" in there
I'd just call them and ask, they're a pretty friendly organisation in my brief experience. Colleague of mine worked on their staff for a while - he's at the radical/activist end of the sector. They used to work a lot in partnership with the Building Centre on Store Street - who are a charitable trust rather than a trade membership body - but who have a similar overall mission.

It's usual practice for organisations of this type to offer bursaries, student memberships, and various levels of corporate membership that depend on turnover. And it's normal to have boards that represent the breadth of perspectives in the industry and the different member constituencies they seek to cultivate.

Reactions: CH1
Does anyone know what became of the 47 year-old man and 17 year-old male who were arrested on suspicion of murder on the evening of Wednesday 26 January 2022 and then bailed pending further enquiries to a date in late February 2022?

47 year-old Amidu Koroma has now been charged with arson with intent to endanger life and murder.

Amidu Koroma is accused of murdering his wife Mariam Kamara, 46, at a property in Railton Road on 24 January 2022.

57210179-10768019-image-a-29_1651247356774.jpg

A post-mortem examination found she had allegedly been stabbed eight times, with two fatal wounds to the neck and face.

The absence of smoke in her lungs suggested she died before the fire started, it is claimed.

The Jan 24 fire on Railton Road was allegedly a husband's attempt to cover up his murder of his wife.
A man has been charged with stabbing his wife to death and setting their home on fire, a court has heard.
Amidu Koroma, 47, is accused of murdering Mariam Kamara, 46, at a property in Railton Road, Brixton, south London, on 24 January.
Firefighters found Ms Kamara's remains after putting out a blaze centred in the bedroom.
Mr Koroma did not attend the hearing at the Old Bailey but was represented by his lawyers.
A post-mortem examination found Ms Kamara had allegedly been stabbed eight times, with two fatal wounds to her neck and face.
Mr Koroma, who was born in Sierra Leone, was charged with arson with intent to endanger life and murder.
He was remanded in custody and a plea hearing was set for 15 July.

Big piece in the Guardian about how police remove places to gather in the public realm. ISTR we all became aware of this when Windrush Square was redesigned? Removing benches, blocking cycle paths: why are police interfering in the UK’s public spaces? | Phineas Harper
I recall the fixed seating was installed with social order in mind, think the seats were positioned to allow people to rest and talk while discouraging crowds of public drinkers? - but don't know if this was because of police involvement. Lighting / sight lines / public use was taken into account with the original design of windrush sq.

It really annoyed me when all safety design principles were thrown out of the window when they installed concrete blocks followed by allowing the bus-stop to be closed and piles of builders stuff & fencing to be left all over the place before they installed all those ugly bollards.

I recall the fixed seating was installed with social order in mind, think the seats were positioned to allow people to rest and talk while discouraging crowds of public drinkers? - but don't know if this was because of police involvement. Lighting / sight lines / public use was taken into account with the original design of windrush sq.

It really annoyed me when all safety design principles were thrown out of the window when they installed concrete blocks followed by allowing the bus-stop to be closed and piles of builders stuff & fencing to be left all over the place before they installed all those ugly bollards.
And the police refuse to allow the cottage to reopen because of the risk of "prostitution and drugs".
Doesn't matter about public urination.

(2) when the original "design" for Windrush Sq was mooted Nicholas Long of the Victorian Society tried to get the heirs of Lady Tate to object (she having paid for the original Tate Memorial Garden). Unfortunately they declined. I wonder if they might have done an objection had they know what the council would end up doing?

Big piece in the Guardian about how police remove places to gather in the public realm. ISTR we all became aware of this when Windrush Square was redesigned? Removing benches, blocking cycle paths: why are police interfering in the UK’s public spaces? | Phineas Harper

Yes I read that and thought it was old news. But still good an article has been made of this issue. By a "professional" so it can't just be dismissed.

It affects every planning application.

I agree with the article that given the Mets issues with community policing they aren't perhaps the go to organisation for planning advice.

So Crossrail is going to open on 24 May. I've been lucky enough to have already had a ride and it's stunning. It will have a big effect on public transport across London.

Except for those of us who live in Brixton, due to the lack of any direct link to the Victoria Line. I expect to use it to get to Heathrow, but otherwise, it's difficult to think of many journeys when it will be of much use. And even getting to Heathrow will require at least a double change and long walks.

Back
Top Bottom