Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Does anyone have a concise summary of Queer goings on in Brixton regarding "Pearl's Return"?
A friend of mine in the Beehive who goes to events in the Tate Library etc said there were a load of young people "voguing" last weekend singing about Peal Alcock Queen of Brixton.

I see that there is a website devoted to this topic - but the layout is a bit confusing
BlackOut UK PEARL’S RETURN

As an ex-customer of Pearl Alcock's black gay shebeen at 103 Railton Road I would have been delighted to go along and vogue - except my Wetherspoons beer gut might have needed an ambulance - right in the LTN zone!

Regarding Pearls and Voguing there are some Vimeo promos/previews here

This stuff seems a little lacking in event info - but then I guess the target audience are in the loop.

Has anyone seen any maps (maybe from the council) that show the local roll-out plans of all those small broadband fibre companies that seem to be digging up the streets in Tulse Hill/Brixton?
We can't currently get any of them but presumably our street (or where we may move) must be on the list as neighbouring streets have all been done.

Has anyone seen any maps (maybe from the council) that show the local roll-out plans of all those small broadband fibre companies that seem to be digging up the streets in Tulse Hill/Brixton?
We can't currently get any of them but presumably our street (or where we may move) must be on the list as neighbouring streets have all been done.

G network are doing all Lambeth according to map on website. They have done some work on my area. I get letters from them asking to express an interest.

I don’t think there are any maps - I know g.network did loads of streets behind Brixton prison, and community fibre are doing Leander area.

Took some pictures yesterday in Somerleyton Road. The way things save going it stands a good chance of getting on "Abandonned Engineering" before Lambeth build any homes there - affordable or unaffordable.

I had been troubled by the sudden appearance of a new hi-tec communications mast. This mast and the power units/cabinets beneath have appeared in the last couple of weeks. Obviously the first thing that went through my mind was Piers Corbyn's, 5G paranoia - thank God I am screened off from the rays by the Barrier Block.

On further contemplation BusLanes do you think this tower could be to do with cabling up the high speed cable network? Or is it pure 5G? I assume the lack of concern from Moorlands residents means they are more hopeful of downoading Hollywood schlock horror films in 2 seconds flat, than being fried in their beds by Piers Corbyn's Gamma Rays.

What interested me was the incredibly meaty cabinets on the ground at the base of the installation.
Could be lithium batteries so communication is not cut in event of a power failure?

Then again this could be a Thames Water co-production. 5G Smart Meters - which also use Lithium batteries to protect against power failure I understand - and bonus Hollywood Schlock from Netflix etc - all in a trice.

5G coming up
E&C 001s.jpg
E&C 002s.jpg
E&C 003s.jpg
E&C 004s.jpg
E&C 005s.jpg

Thanks all. So probably just a wait and see then. I think G.Networks/Community Fibre are nearly at my current street, so if we end up staying we could switch. We have had the latter's letters at least.

CH1 - I have not seen that kind of tower before but having spoken to someone who might know, she said that Thames Water would be highly reluctant to put comms equipment on the street, as that would require getting rights/paying someone and because they have facilities everywhere, they can usually find a way to jam those things in.

I actually heard today that a lot of such equipment that uses the cell networks that has been around for a while will be at risk now as countries are starting to turn off 3G networks. Vodafone UK apparently will switch it off next yar.

U75 - what's the best co-working space locally, to work from for the next 2-3 months?

funnily enough I was gonna post this before I saw your question
but my interest was in the strange medieval branding.......

Brixton Castle.....

Brixton Castle.....
We've got a castle now?!

Brixton Castle.....
Thank you.

CH1 - I have not seen that kind of tower before but having spoken to someone who might know, she said that Thames Water would be highly reluctant to put comms equipment on the street, as that would require getting rights/paying someone and because they have facilities everywhere, they can usually find a way to jam those things in.

I actually heard today that a lot of such equipment that uses the cell networks that has been around for a while will be at risk now as countries are starting to turn off 3G networks. Vodafone UK apparently will switch it off next yar.
I'm pretty sure intuitively this new tower is a 5G tower.
I guess it might be possible to trace ownership through Lsmbeth's planning website,
There is a weird system currently whereby telecoms applications have to be approved by default - but also have to be applied for.

Why I wonder couldn't they have put it on top of a building - such as the London Transport utility buildings serving the Victoria Line sidings -next to the site on the pavement?
Maybe the tower is too heavy???

There are a huge number of these stand alone masts being put up. They are predominantly for 5G which has shorter range because of the higher frequencies so need to be closer together than 3G +4G antennae.
The telecoms Companies can roll them out really easily as stand alone. It's now much harder to object to planning under 'New Code' regulations. Less hassle to find a bit of public realm to put them on rather than deal with a commercial landlord.

There will be one on every 4th street corner soon...
The antennae give out less radiation than your average flat screen TV so there is no risk!

The antennae give out less radiation than your average flat screen TV so there is no risk!
But is it not proven that flat screen tellys are used by Big Gates to beam Covid directly into your brain?

I'm sure I read that somewhere on Facebook

There are a huge number of these stand alone masts being put up. They are predominantly for 5G which has shorter range because of the higher frequencies so need to be closer together than 3G +4G antennae.
The telecoms Companies can roll them out really easily as stand alone. It's now much harder to object to planning under 'New Code' regulations. Less hassle to find a bit of public realm to put them on rather than deal with a commercial landlord.

I thought flat screens gave out ZERO radiation - as opposed to CRT screens which produced x-rays?

But is it not proven that flat screen tellys are used by Big Gates to beam Covid directly into your brain?

I'm sure I read that somewhere on Facebook
Its Facebook, Youtube etc that spread these memes.
Blame Richard Dawkins - at least for inventing memes.

Condolences to those affected by the fatal shooting yesterday evening in Ferrey Mews on Angell Town Estate.

Anyone who either witnessed the incident or who has information about what took place should call 101 or tweet @MetCC, giving the reference 7163/12SEP.

Information can also be provided to Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

Last night at the Ritzy

P9121217.jpg

IMG_20210912_221145.jpg

In photos: Pure Vinyl’s Punky Reggae Party – Tribute to Poly Styrene at Upstairs at the Ritzy

Layla Andrews, resident artist at Brixton nVillage, tells the Evening Standard her favourite things about Brixton

Attachments

• standard.co.uk-Area guide to Brixton artist Layla Andrews on the best places for live music go...pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 30
Well-known Brixtonian and Alabama 3 alumnus Be Atwell, is on C4's Come Dine With Me this week. Tomorrow (Tue) is his featured episode where he is doing the cooking. The man himself will be joining me - and others, I hope - for a viewing party at the Albert - as long as I can persuade the staff to put it on the big screen - programme starts at 5.30pm

Well-known Brixtonian and Alabama 3 alumnus Be Atwell, is on C4's Come Dine With Me this week. Tomorrow (Tue) is his featured episode where he is doing the cooking. The man himself will be joining me - and others, I hope - for a viewing party at the Albert - as long as I can persuade the staff to put it on the big screen - programme starts at 5.30pm
Tuned in ( but not in Thee Albert )

e2a lol I know that blonde lass

Last edited:
I was in correspondence with SLAM this morning re Lambeth Hospital redevelopment - suggesting it was really all about cashing in on property assets.

I happened to look up Irene House - that haven of ATOS and home of the "Work Capability Assessment".
Struck fear into the hearts of many on here, yet what do I find:

Work underway at Irene House | ARJ Construction

They're turning Irene House into luxury flats.
Have they found a new location to terrorise disabled benefit claimants?

They have this in Sancroft Rd Kennington. It's a so-called PIP Consultation Centre. There are loads of them - search Google Maps.

Nice to know.
Irene House was pretty dramatic - almost as many security staff as assessors or whatever they might be called.
The ethos struck me a prison like - excerpt on one occasion I went there the woman booking in clients was painting her nails bright scarlet in the manner of Irma la Douce.

Back
Top Bottom