Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Any context to this request?
Official looking bloke on my drive painting my wall, which is not highway facing. Messily covering up graffiti using black spray paint on a not black wall. Guessing firm is a council sub contractor. Hoping someone recognises the logo?

I wonder why not Olive Morris. There is a talk about her during this year's Black History Month

As I understand it, her family didn't want her name to be associated with private sale flats. Which makes sense.

Scoop! New building on the site of Olive Morris House to be named after Darcus Howe
Presumably Darcus Howe Court will be the social housing part.

They should consider having a bar at ground floor in honour of this great man and his peculiar brand of combative drink-fuelled intellectual soliloquy. There are definitely not enough bars on that part of Brixton Hill - especially ones selling Imperial Russian Stout 10% abv.

Sam's house is hard to miss.

Google Maps

Seems like a strange thing to do. And a sad fate for lots of bikes to rust away to nothing. What a waste. Despite my misgivings, his reputation persuaded me to ask him to remove the bottom bracket from my frame. He couldn't do it.

Sam's house is hard to miss.

Google Maps

Seems like a strange thing to do. And a sad fate for lots of bikes to rust away to nothing. What a waste. Despite my misgivings, his reputation persuaded me to ask him to remove the bottom bracket from my frame. He couldn't do it.
I’m one of his neighbours and he’s definitely one of the old school characters still left in Brixton. His frontage is a mess, his bicycle repair skills are questionable, he leaves metal crap all over the road and his clutch control means you can hear him coming or going from quite a distance but what a man. Hope he stays forever

I wonder why not Olive Morris. There is a talk about her during this year's Black History Month

I suspect even Lambeth Council realise that naming a block of mainly private housing after Olive Morris would deservedly invite ridicule.

They were filming something very 70's on Ferndale when we walked past (on Friday). If you zoom in you can see old school coppers, black meria and lots of big hair and sideburns

Attachments

• C1C532CF-9B59-4B60-8165-A8B4BF02F6BF.jpeg
    C1C532CF-9B59-4B60-8165-A8B4BF02F6BF.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 34
  • AA22A827-B7CE-459F-96A5-A537748CA7CB.jpeg
    AA22A827-B7CE-459F-96A5-A537748CA7CB.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 33
24 out of 37 lamps on Windrush Square are not working.

I got so annoyed about this, that I sent this message to Fixmystreet, local councillors, Helen HayesMP and Brixton Buzz and Blog. If yo would like to boost the signal, then the relevant addresses are below

"Councillors

For many months/years now, there have been broken lights on Windrush Square. They are never repaired, and as time goes on, more bulbs fail. At the moment, of the 37 bulbs installed on the tall lighting poles and mid-height reflectors, 24 are not functioning. That's right: two-thirds of the lighting isn't working.

It's rather striking that, with all the risks facing women out at night, Lambeth Council is so negligent about public safety. Do you want to check ? Then look out of the windows of the Town Hall, at this the heart of your Ward, which lies just across the road – but you could have done that any time over the past couple of years. Is there some insurmountable problem that stops Lambeth carrying out the most basic of tasks, that is keeping the lights on ?

I have filed a report on Fixmysteet, and I am copying this message to Helen Hayes MP, local blogs Brixton Buzz and Brixton Blog, and local social media Urban 75 and Nextdoor.

Regards"

www.fixmystreet.com

danyanwu@lambeth.gov.uk
enye@lambeth.gov.uk
sohara@lambeth.gov.uk
helen.hayes.mp@parliament.uk

Attachments

• IMG_0298.jpeg
    IMG_0298.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0297.jpeg
    IMG_0297.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0296.jpeg
    IMG_0296.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0295.jpeg
    IMG_0295.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0293.jpeg
    IMG_0293.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0292.jpeg
    IMG_0292.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0291.jpeg
    IMG_0291.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0290.jpeg
    IMG_0290.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0299.jpeg
    IMG_0299.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 1
We went to Franzino trattoria on coldharbour lane on Friday. The staff were so dismissive and unwelcoming (despite the fact it was empty) we decided not to stay.
We went to Okan in the market instead and had fab friendly service and fantastic food.

...upcoming at the Barbican
an evening dedicated to local legend
’Sam the Wheels’.....

He is featured in the national press today:

"From the tumult of the uprisings to everyday scenes, Clovis Salmon’s jerky camera captured Black British life. As his work hits the big screen, we meet the 94-year-old known as Sam the Wheels ..."

‘I went wherever there was fighting’: how Sam the Wheels filmed Brixton ablaze

A group of dealers has moved into the dark space in front of the cultural archives. It's pitch black there...I wonder if the dealers have broken the lights? Lots of users in the doorways of people's flats in Rushcroft Road and on the Cherry Groce memorial and...well everywhere really. Sometimes there's so much strong weed being smoked that I wonder if I'd fail a drugs test. I really, really hate the stink these days. I am trying to cultivate a reputation for hostility so that I get left alone. I used to be nice, but I've had enough. Adding up the nasty things that have happened in the last 8 or 9 years in central Brixton is a bit depressing. Robbed twice, assaulted three times (all very minor, but upsetting), run over once, threatened countless times. At least nobody's pulled a knife on me. I'm sure my experiences would have been a thousand times worse if I was a teenager or a woman in her twenties. Grumpy old white men have it easy. It's a good thing nobody has hurt the cat...I'd probably do something regrettable.

A Brixton Tale, a film that could define how the world sees Brixton for years to come, goes on general release on 17 September.

Its launch screening will be at the Ritzy on Windrush Square with directors Darragh Carey and Bertrand Desrochers, writer Rupert Baynham, and lead actor Ola Orebiyi there to take part in a Q & A

The film was shot around Southwyck House – the Barrier Block – and the Moorlands estate.

The film-makers met at the London Film School and decided to produce Rupert’s graduation script.
I saw it not long ago.

Thought the acting and production was good but the plot was a little disappointing.
Kinda slammed two plots together and both were somewhat chliched.
which is a shame as I think the rest was good.

A group of dealers has moved into the dark space in front of the cultural archives. It's pitch black there...I wonder if the dealers have broken the lights? Lots of users in the doorways of people's flats in Rushcroft Road and on the Cherry Groce memorial and...well everywhere really. Sometimes there's so much strong weed being smoked that I wonder if I'd fail a drugs test. I really, really hate the stink these days. I am trying to cultivate a reputation for hostility so that I get left alone. I used to be nice, but I've had enough. Adding up the nasty things that have happened in the last 8 or 9 years in central Brixton is a bit depressing. Robbed twice, assaulted three times (all very minor, but upsetting), run over once, threatened countless times. At least nobody's pulled a knife on me. I'm sure my experiences would have been a thousand times worse if I was a teenager or a woman in her twenties. Grumpy old white men have it easy. It's a good thing nobody has hurt the cat...I'd probably do something regrettable.
That whole area in front of the archives is pretty depressing. As is the small park at back of St mathews church which seems to be the place where you can leave the whatever drug shit around you fucking want.

That whole area in front of the archives is pretty depressing. As is the small park at back of St mathews church which seems to be the place where you can leave the whatever drug shit around you fucking want.
That area is fucking horrible at the moment. Had to stop taking my son to the swings and slide there. Lots of smoking heroin, from one conversation I've had. Also on the doorsteps of the surrounding houses. I don't remember it being so prevalent and blatant since the early noughties. Thankfully less (hardly any) syringes.

Sometimes i get the train out to West Dulwich or Penge East from Brixton Station, and every time without fail on the stairs going up to the platform there is couple of wrong un's smoking stuff from a pipe or tin foil, brazen as you like in full view of anyone who wants to do something as simple as use a train station. Often they'll also be an unconscious person slumped at the halfway mark, to step over.

I fully understand people have their problems with addictive drugs in London, and Brixton is not exactly the garden of Eden (however much Hondo etc might try and make rich people think so), but you'd hope the folk with these problems might be able to find somewhere just a little more discreet to get their fix? The station is actually staffed with a guy in the ticket office at the top of the same set of stairs, i guess he doesnt want to get involved.

Back
Top Bottom