Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

I used to use the Albert when Pat was there. In early days it was empty. Then it got popular with the alternative crowd. You either went to Albert or The Railway. I was always for the Albert.

It never was an attractive interior. It was the people using it and Pat who made it a popular pub.

Brixton has changed so much that perhaps its not going to survive?

this post made me think, as an incomer to London it always felt going to an established local pub was a bit like gate crashing someone elses party. I got involved in a conversation with someone on a Facebook group about the Railway/Brady’s. Her love for the place had deeper roots than mine having been a regular since the ‘70s, I was an occasional tourist and therefore part of the problem... Our local pub was the white bear in Kennington that had become home to several ‘tribes’, when we rock up let’s say there was a little resistance at first, they were a bit suspicious 🤣, but after about 6 months and a clean sheet we were kind of accepted, even though our some of our tastes* were considered a bit wank....I have a belief that one should accept the consensus and not try to change established public places, thats fairly easy if one does not move around mob handed or have ‘colonial’ aspirations. Some pubs like the Alderman were never gonn be welcoming tho, however low key one tried to be..

*selecting tunes at the jukebox was always a good place for interaction and shared likes, whereas up north it could end badly.

Last edited:
On Soho House and the Standard getting two Black people to say its good for Brixton.

Florence Eshalomi MP is from the Progress wing of the party. The "investment" she talks about is in line with the New Labour Council from Brixton Challenge onwards to make Brixton a entertainment centre/ tourist destination.

Its an uncritical support of inward investment. All inward investment will trickle down to benefit all. The Neo Liberal argument.

Second thing. Podcast on Novara media about riots academic from Goldsmiths said after the riots the Tory Government went to US for ideas. Brought back idea that it was necessary to build up a Black Bourgeoisie. This wouldn't threaten the status quo.

The Evening Standard article reminded of that. Choose two who have made it.

Third thing an anecdote. My partner was thinking of going to Ritzy this weekend with me. (BTW my partner is an immigrant. So the insinuation often put on Brixton Forum that if you oppose gentrification you're against new people is bollox. What people are against is being priced out of neighbourhood. They aren’t all against new people)

Anyway she looked at prices and Ritzy is expensive.

Co incidently Black British friend of mine yesterday pointed out Stratford picture house is half price of Ritzy. Its taking the piss in his view.

Told him Picture house classify Ritzy as West end cinema. Stratford as local cinema. Picture house have worked out gentrification means they can fill seats despite charging high price unlike Stratford.

This is how gentrification works. Purely economic. Appears to be politically neutral. Any complaints and your against changes possibly a bigot.

To add Florence Eshalomi says friends were put off from coming to Brixton on early days. I've been watching Steve Mcqueens excellent film on BBC iplayer Uprising about New Cross fire and Brixton riot 81. Points out that in 70s 80s many Black people felt safe in Brixton. Unlike other parts of London. They could be themselves there.

So MP Florence is not the only view.

Her view is to support the Progress Labour view.

Last edited:
On Soho House and the Standard getting two Black people to say its good for Brixton.

Florence Eshalomi MP is from the Progress wing of the party. The "investment" she talks about is in line with the New Labour Council from Brixton Challenge onwards to make Brixton a entertainment centre/ tourist destination.

Its an uncritical support of inward investment. All inward investment will trickle down to benefit all. The Neo Liberal argument.

Second thing. Podcast on Novara media about riots academic from Goldsmiths said after the riots the Tory Government went to US for ideas. Brought back idea that it was necessary to build up a Black Bourgeoisie. This wouldn't threaten the status quo.

The Evening Standard article reminded of that. Choose two who have made it.

Third thing an anecdote. My partner was thinking of going to Ritzy this weekend with me. (BTW my partner is an immigrant. So the insinuation often put on Brixton Forum that if you oppose gentrification you're against new people is bollox. What people are against is being priced out of neighbourhood. They aren’t all against new people)

Anyway she looked at prices and Ritzy is expensive.

Co incidently Black British friend of mine yesterday pointed out Stratford picture house is half price of Ritzy. Its taking the piss in his view.

Told him Picture house classify Ritzy as West end cinema. Stratford as local cinema. Picture house have worked out gentrification means they can fill seats despite charging high price unlike Stratford.

This is how gentrification works. Purely economic. Appears to be politically neutral. Any complaints and your against changes possibly a bigot.

To add Florence Eshalomi says friends were put off from coming to Brixton on early days. I've been watching Steve Mcqueens excellent film on BBC iplayer Uprising about New Cross fire and Brixton riot 81. Points out that in 70s 80s many Black people felt safe in Brixton. Unlike other parts of London. They could be themselves there.

So MP Florence is not the only view.

Her view is to support the Progress Labour view.
I agree about the Ritzy prices. It's a weird anomaly. Stratford is surely the regenerated area of London par excellence.

Regarding the black bourgeoisie in the USA - surely if you take the long view the white usurpers (of 1st nation peoples) took all measures to avoid the growth of entrepreneurial black society. viz Tulsa race massacre - Wikipedia

I can't say that Brixton Challenge, or its predecessor the Urban Fund were particularly successful in building a black bourgeoisie in Brixton.
I was working in the so-called voluntary sector at that time and there was certainly a massive amount of monitoring and form filling required to assess the ethnic gender and even gay/straight nature of the clientele reached by projects.

I do't think the monitoring went anywhere - except in Lambeth Council's drawers (we're talking pre Windows here).

What Brixton Challenge and other schemes did do was spawn hoards of grant-seekers and an industry of consultants showing people how to apply for grants.

Last edited:
I called in at this Black History Month event at Brixton Tate Library yesterday

Join the reading group to discuss A Certain Amount of Madness: The Life, Politics and Legacies of Thomas Sankara, edited by Amber Murrey.

To be honest I was seeking more information about Thomas Sankara, a revolutionary military leader who became President of Upper Volta in 1983, changed the name oif the country to Burkina Fasso and was assassinated in 1987.

By all accounts (at least from those on the left) Sankara was considered charismatic and humble. And did make some effective changes regards womens' rights and the economy. And apparently did this by power of personality and persuasion. Unlike his neighbouring head of state in Ghana at the time Sankara is reverted as a radical force.

What I found extraordinary from my bourgeois perspective was the flavour of the meeting. Unlike a meeting a couple of years back featuring Bernardine Everisto (Girl, Woman, Other) which attracted 200 or so this Sankara readers group consisted of about 25 people, maybe less. And whereas Ms Everisto clearly has a big fan base this academic work on Thomas Sankara was a thick academic tome, made up of contributions from about 20 writers.

Apparently the famous quote of Thomas Sankara was this:
“You cannot carry out fundamental change without a certain amount of madness. In this case, it comes from nonconformity, the courage to turn your back on the old formulas, the courage to invent the future. Besides, it took the madmen of yesterday for us to be able to act with extreme clarity today. I want to be one of those madmen.”

I hoped to be enlightened about this interesting concept - but the format of the meeting was a bit like Workers Liberty meeting I went to once in New Cross.
There was a long introduction from the guest speaker who outlined the history of Thomas Sankara's revolution, the high regard other revolutionaries had for him and the positive effect he had had on his country.

Anyone who wanted to speak got the chance - but to me the discourse seemed to tend to how revolutions in Africa are put down by CIA subversion.
Not that anyone exactly stated why Comrade Sankara, as some in the audience called him - and each other - had been murdered by one of his own ruling clique.

So an interesting meeting, up to a point. Certainly an unusual subject for a Brixton meeting - but bang in line with the idea of Black history month. I'm intrigued by what is said in the book they were discussing - but not to the extent of paying £21.85 to mazon to buy it.

Maybe Bookmongers might have a secondhand copy?

What makes you say that?

yeah, I had look to what the coup is with membership and it’s all digital now...so no post involved
I checked the membership thing out of curiosity....quite exclusive...one has to be a ‘creative’
looks like cost is circa £500 pa. you gotta be proposed and seconded, and then you get a yes/no or put on a waiting list, hard to work out how they come to a decision but those in the know say standards have slipped since its inception
:hmm:. I’m not sold on it tbh, I won a membership to a private club once but only went twice, the members were right up their own arses.

e2a I notice the bar there is called ‘pearls’ is this a tribute to the old ‘pearls’ of yore I wonder

Last edited:
yeah, I had look to what the coup is with membership and it’s all digital now...so no post involved
I checked the membership thing out of curiosity....quite exclusive...one has to be a ‘creative’
looks like cost is circa £500 pa. you gotta be proposed and seconded, and then you get a yes/no or put on a waiting list, hard to work out how they come to a decision but those in the know say standards have slipped since its inception
:hmm:. I’m not sold on it tbh, I won a membership to a private club once but only went twice, the members were right up their own arses.

e2a I notice the bar there is called ‘pearls’ is this a tribute to the old ‘pearls’ of yore I wonder

It's just more divisive, elitist bollocks that will automatically exclude a swathe of real Brixton creatives. Great for VIPs, celebs and execs who don't want to mix with the Brixton hoi polloi though.

On the black bourgeoisie, hence Tory party desperately pushes any black or brown person they find who will slag off people at the bottom of the food chain or parrot the usual Tory casual isms. See Shaun Bailey.

The reference to my previous post is from Novara media show.

Ten minutes in Adam Elliott Cooper talks about Tory government response to 81 riots. They went to US to find out how they dealt with riots in US policy wise. Were told to create a Black middle class to act as a buffer between the Black working class and State. Who could be Co opted. This would of course leave structural class inequality untouched.

Adam Elliott Cooper has written book on Black British people and policing that looks worth reading.

Great for VIPs, celebs and execs.
It's just more divisive, elitist bollocks that will automatically exclude a swathe of real Brixton creatives. Great for VIPs, celebs and execs who don't want to mix with the Brixton hoi polloi though.

tbf even if they let every ‘creative’ in Brixton in and noone else it would still be divisive and elitist...in the olden days ‘creatives‘ mixed openly and freely with all strata of society.

Last edited:
I went to the Soho one once - my sister was a member. It's a clever businesss model. London has many, many thousands of people in the so-called creative industries. (Buying space for bus shelter posters is very creative. So is doing the layout of an employee newsletter for an insurance company.) All these people dream of going to the Groucho Club to schmooze with A-list thespians. But they can't get in. So you open a club 50 yards away, and put the word out about how exclusive it is. Give free memberships and long lunches to some journalists and some big names from ad agencies. Then thousands of creatives will pay a fortune for membership and sit in the bars (the building is nearly all bars) and buy overpriced cocktails and spend all evening getting neckache checking out everyone in the building to see if they're famous. (Nobody is.) When they're drunk they might get the consolation prize, which is to recognise someone they know through work. There follows lots of self-congratulatory braying as they catch up with their 'friend', plus more neckache, because they have to check all the faces in the room to see if anyone else is impressed with how connected and popular they are. It would not be inappropriate to flourbomb everyone who comes out of the Brixton branch. They'd love it. It would make them feel Significant. It would be a passable substitute for having actually been at the Brixton Riot, instead of just telling your friends how edgy Brixton is 40 years later.

If the bar is called Pearls in tribute to the real Pearls at 103 Railton Road I would say that is misappropriation.
Pearl didn't charge £500 for membership. She didn't even have a bouncer.
And the clientele varied from bus conductors to a computer programmer working at the Abbey National HQ in Baker Street.

I agree about the Ritzy prices. It's a weird anomaly. Stratford is surely the regenerated area of London par excellence.

Regarding the black bourgeoisie in the USA - surely if you take the long view the white usurpers (of 1st nation peoples) took all measures to avoid the growth of entrepreneurial black society. viz Tulsa race massacre - Wikipedia

I can't say that Brixton Challenge, or its predecessor the Urban Fund were particularly successful in building a black bourgeoisie in Brixton.
I was working in the so-called voluntary sector at that time and there was certainly a massive amount of monitoring and form filling required to assess the ethnic gender and even gay/straight nature of the clientele reached by projects.

I do't think the monitoring went anywhere - except in Lambeth Council's drawers (we're talking pre Windows here).

What Brixton Challenge and other schemes did do was spawn hoards of grant-seekers and an industry of consultants showing people how to apply for grants.

Im inclined to agree with you on Brixton Challenge. After all The Atlantic became Larry's Dogstar. As those of us who have been around know the New Labour Council loved thrusting entrepreneurial Larry. Replacing a Black pub with new cleaned up Brixton. As ex leader cllr Jack Hopkins once said gentrification is OK if it cleans up Brixton.

So yes I think on that in UK Adam Elliott Cooper is only partly correct.

On USA I don't know enough to say.

However Adam Elliott Cooper is young academic and from the Novara show definitely worth listening to. I've ordered his book.

I think your right these regeneration projects did foster new class of fund seekers and consultants. Who made a living out of these projects

Reactions: CH1
I went to the Soho one once - my sister was a member. It's a clever businesss model. London has many, many thousands of people in the so-called creative industries. (Buying space for bus shelter posters is very creative. So is doing the layout of an employee newsletter for an insurance company.) All these people dream of going to the Groucho Club to schmooze with A-list thespians. But they can't get in. So you open a club 50 yards away, and put the word out about how exclusive it is. Give free memberships and long lunches to some journalists and some big names from ad agencies. Then thousands of creatives will pay a fortune for membership and sit in the bars (the building is nearly all bars) and buy overpriced cocktails and spend all evening getting neckache checking out everyone in the building to see if they're famous. (Nobody is.) When they're drunk they might get the consolation prize, which is to recognise someone they know through work. There follows lots of self-congratulatory braying as they catch up with their 'friend', plus more neckache, because they have to check all the faces in the room to see if anyone else is impressed with how connected and popular they are. It would not be inappropriate to flourbomb everyone who comes out of the Brixton branch. They'd love it. It would make them feel Significant. It would be a passable substitute for having actually been at the Brixton Riot, instead of just telling your friends how edgy Brixton is 40 years later.

tbf some of those soho private members clubs were more open tHan you’d imagine, we blagged it into them all over the years, good times could be had, a lot of the monied class would splash the cash and share out the goodies if they thought you were edgy or fit, back then it was a playground for raggamuffins and raggamuffettes, being an unassuming soul I never took full advantage but my housemates did and rinsed many a pop star or film producer...it was a source of great amusement to see celebrities shuffle off to a mini cab on a cold Stockwell dawn nursing bruised egos and empty wallets...

Last edited:
Real Brixton (or any other) creatives aren't interested in Soho House.
Deals for funding/mentoring or support/infrastructure or other business sensitive matters that get their work sold or funded etc aren't being done in Soho House.
It's not 2010

As always woefully out of touch Ed.

Real Brixton (or any other) creatives aren't interested in Soho House.
Deals for funding/mentoring or support/infrastructure or other business sensitive matters that get their work sold or funded etc aren't being done in Soho House.
It's not 2010

Real creatives are one step ahead of the game, or better yet ignoring the game altogether....

Back
Top Bottom