Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - April 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Er, why are you happy to promote that? You 'dont get it' but are 'happy to promote' them?
Not sure why you're struggling to understand such a simple statement. I wish them the best and hope they reach their target, so I'm happy to do what I can to help.

Not sure why you're struggling to understand such a simple statement. I wish them the best and hope they reach their target, so I'm happy to do what I can to help.

Fair enough. They seem to be the type of business you usually seem to rail against, that's all

They also hope that the campaign will help secure and execute plans for longevity, and to “boost united80’s growth on the worldwide platform as a Lifestyle brand.”

I think the whole 'vilaaaaaaaage' thing and the small businesses in Pop you're always banging on about covers that. What differentiates this business exactly?

I think the whole 'vilaaaaaaaage' thing and the small businesses in Pop you're always banging on about covers that. What differentiates this business exactly?
Yawn. Just shut up with your dull attempts to stir up personal beef, please.

Yawn. Just shut up with your dull attempts to stir up personal beef, please.

I'm not trying to stir up 'personal beef'. I just find your hypocrisy astonishing on a number of issues. Believe me, i'm with you on the anti-gentrification of Brixton. But really can't understand why you're using your platform to promote this business's objective of building 'a worldwide lifestyle brand' or whatever the fuck they they sent in their press release to you. They're precisely the type of business you usually seem to whinge about.

And please. Don't tell me to shut up again.

You posted up a barely edited press release. I commented on it. How is that 'stirring up personal beef'?

You have a high profile position in Brixton society. You're going to have to take a bit of stick now and then when your inconsistency is pointed out to you.

You posted up a barely edited press release. I commented on it. How is that 'stirring up personal beef'?

You have a high profile position in Brixton society. You're going to have to take a bit of stick now and then when your inconsistency is pointed out to you.
This thread is not here to discuss my supposed 'inconsistencies.' It's here to discuss Brixton matters.

FYI, I also promoted the Cider Bar today and the new M ere Scribbler pub in Streatham too, like I constantly promote local independent businesses. I don't much care what you think about that to be honest. I'm too busy doing stuff to listen to your drivel.

Drivel.

You're posting up pretty much unedited press releases from chancers and I'm the one posting drivel?
I appear to the be the only one in this discussion posting up stuff relevant to Brixton. You appear to be on some really dull crusade to turn it into something personal. Kindly stop as it's disruptive and really fucking boring.

I appear to the be the only one in this discussion posting up stuff relevant to Brixton. You appear to be on some really dull crusade to turn it into something personal. Kindly stop as it's disruptive and really fucking boring.

Not worth any more of my time

Don't be absurd teuchter . Nobody puts tomatoes in the fridge.

The shop has raised over £5,000 from their crowdfunder already i see, people donating money for them to 'boost its growth on the worldwide platform as a Lifestyle brand'. I find that.. impressive and surprising.

Last edited:
We have fairly much zero information on who actually uses the fridge. On the other hand: what about the "should you put tomatoes in the fridge" controversy? Perhaps that could bump the post count for this month's Brixton news, rumours, general chat and tedium thread.

We could put a cctv camera on it and then get daily mail readers to classify fridge users.

Also what about bananas ?

Alex

perhaps it is socially useful and not solely there for interloping wankers

Exactly that. United80 is a Brixton business by Brixton people. It opened alongside a few independant shops who were ahead of the foodie wave.

Those involved with United80 were at the forefront of Reclaim Brixton, and they are actively involved in the local community from politics to events and much more.

Some of the partners have moved on and those remaining want to expand.

United80 don't warrant any claims of adding to problems of gentrification.

...and its a great little shop.

United80 don't warrant any claims of adding to problems of gentrification.

For any given shop, how do we decide whether "claims of adding to problems of gentrification" are warranted or unwarranted?

On here, the assessment often seems to be carried out by posting images of the people involved looking hipsterish, or quoting pretentious marketing nonsense, or identifying products that are not affordable to a large proportion of local residents. A quick look at their website suggests they could be discredited by all of these means.

I don't see how opening "ahead of the foodie wave" is relevant by the way. If the same shop selling the same stuff had opened 5 years later would it be any different?

The shop has raised over £5,000 from their crowdfunder already i see, people donating money for them to 'boost its growth on the worldwide platform as a Lifestyle brand'. I find that.. impressive and surprising.

The standard theory is that this must be because they have lots of braying loadsamoney mates willing to slap down their wads of cash, etc etc.

For any given shop, how do we decide whether "claims of adding to problems of gentrification" are warranted or unwarranted?

On here, the assessment often seems to be carried out by posting images of the people involved looking hipsterish, or quoting pretentious marketing nonsense, or identifying products that are not affordable to a large proportion of local residents. A quick look at their website suggests they could be discredited by all of these means.

I don't see how opening "ahead of the foodie wave" is relevant by the way. If the same shop selling the same stuff had opened 5 years later would it be any different?

I can only share my knowledge of them as Brixton lifetime residents who did not start with much and have managed to get something small up and running. They actively engage in lots of community events and were instrumental in getting reclaim brixton off the ground.

By ahead of the foodie wave I am talking about the small number of local people who were able to open up some of the units on a shoestring and bring a bit of life to a tired marketspace. This was ahead of the village becoming a destination.

They wouldn't have been able to afford it 5 years later....

I can only share my knowledge of them as Brixton lifetime residents who did not start with much and have managed to get something small up and running. They actively engage in lots of community events and were instrumental in getting reclaim brixton off the ground.

By ahead of the foodie wave I am talking about the small number of local people who were able to open up some of the units on a shoestring and bring a bit of life to a tired marketspace. This was ahead of the village becoming a destination.

It does look like a cool shop to be fair, although 150 quid for a satchel is stretching it a bit. They do need to sort out their press release however. Even Pop would consider that a bit of a wankfest.

Ok. But how's that relevant to the question of whether they add to problems of gentrification? Does it affect whether or not they attract the "wrong sorts" to the area?

For the record I'm not into blaming individual businesses for causing problems of gentrification. They are symptoms rather than causes. I'm just comparing this to how other businesses get viewed.

And their mother used to have a food shop in one of the arcades, so technically 2nd generation Brixton market. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom