Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - April 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. But how's that relevant to the question of whether they add to problems of gentrification? Does it affect whether or not they attract the "wrong sorts" to the area?

For the record I'm not into blaming individual businesses for causing problems of gentrification. They are symptoms rather than causes. I'm just comparing this to how other businesses get viewed.

What are the wrong sorts?

Given that they are very much into promoting black music, art, culture and history in Brixton where they were born and raised, and had folks who had a shop in the market, then I think they are the opposite of what gentrification is 'seen' as.

The problem with u75 is that any real discussion about gentrifications and any positives/negatives get lost in silly billy beef about the 'approved list' and 'beards'.

Hence I'm not gonna get on that roundabout again...because it only stops when someone gets banned or someone just piles in to wind people up and not contribute.

I don't blame individual businesses either, but I do see waves that suddenly appear on the shoreline and wash away years of culture and community and local trade. This is down to loads of factors though...and I get that.

I just dont like it.

United80 were part of what the Village grew to be....and they would willingly accept that they wanted a thriving market again.

Did they know that mean't cheese and champagne? I doubt it.

There are businesses that help build an area and businesses that build upon an area.

I see United80 as the former. Someone else may judge them differently.

There are businesses that help build an area and businesses that build upon an area.

I think that's one of those distinctions that sounds neat but turns out to be a bit meaningless when you try and classify businesses into one or other category.

As far as I can see, there are ways this business has built upon something pre-existing, and ways it has built up something new. Either of those things could be interpreted as positive or negative in different ways.

Which you could say about most businesses that have appeared in Brixton in the last 5-10 years.

Which you could say about most businesses that have appeared in Brixton in the last 5-10 years.

Some, yes.

Which is why understanding those businesses is important. We can not know everything about every business all the time.

We can research.

Being an independant doesn't make it automatically 'good' and being a chain doesn't make it automatically 'bad'

In my opinion...that is

You are saying that somewhere which sells 150 pound leather satchels, and ten pound hip hop babygro's hasn't contributed towards the gentrification of brixton ?

Alex

I don't feel those two things alone prove they have contributed to gentrification.

I've since learnt that the original people behind United80 moved on two years ago which kind of explains the rather wanky press release and crowdfunding attempt. I still find it really odd that people would want to give money to a private business, but its their dosh, etc.

I've since learnt that the original people behind United80 moved on two years ago which kind of explains the rather wanky press release and crowdfunding attempt. I still find it really odd that people would want to give money to a private business, but its their dosh, etc.

Yes - my first thought was that 'X' wouldn't put out a release like that when they were on board, and possibly wouldn't engage in a crowdfunding scheme to move the business onwards.

It seems that even Honest Burgers has DJs now, with the (ahem) Supercute Sleazy Disco "sexing up the decks."

Oh, I've just seen that the Brixton pound shop is doing a free comedy night on Saturday.

17884005_10154628084843790_8225444328975646958_n.jpg

Let's Laugh Comedy (2017-04-22)

:mad: But their rosemary chips are so good i'd forgive them almost anything.

Not outside Brixton they aren't. I went to their Peckham branch a few weeks ago - my review ..

Was a great fan of the original HB in Brixton Village and was the best fries and burger I had ever had and that branch still delivers. As we live nearer the Peckham branch thought we'd check it out for a simple snack. Sad to say they are just another chain now knocking out lacklustre burgers and fries with overpriced drinks. Staff and restaurant are friendly and welcoming but that's about it. Avoid unless you want to be just another few quid on their bottom line. Seems to be the dominant business model in London now two hungry and ambitious chefs have a business idea - do a brilliant pilot restaurant , garner all the plaudits and hype and then expand with their eye on the money not the food.

Pedlar in Peckham is just the same. They all worship at the temple of celebrity cunt chef Jamie Oiliver - £150 million and counting.

Their place in the market is tiny, don't know where they'll find room for the sexy dj. Eating food whilst having loud music going in your ears is just a rubbish combination far as I can see but then I'm not the target market, I don't even get why they serve their lemonade in stupid little Kilner jars instead of glasses.

Their place in the market is tiny, don't know where they'll find room for the sexy dj. Eating food whilst having loud music going in your ears is just a rubbish combination far as I can see but then I'm not the target market, I don't even get why they serve their lemonade in stupid little Kilner jars instead of glasses.

Cheer up it could be worse ....(sighs) young people... bloody stupid if you ask me. Why don't they just grow up. ;)

enhanced-buzz-15850-1478055157-0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom