Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - April 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article about Rebel Dykes in TimeOut featuring Brixton.

Meet the lesbian punks who've been written out of London's history
It all makes sense now, I wondered who they were - they only invented the 'rebel dyke' name in retrospect .

There was so many arguments going on between dykes back then especially pro SM/anti sex arguments. Chain Reactions at the Market Tavern in Vauxhall was sleazy fun. I provoked feminist fury just by wearing frocks back in the 80s, still it made it easier to piss in the mens urinals at the market.

It was great seeing Fisch doing her Frankie Sinatra drag down the RVT last year.

Splitting up the focus of it it seems: WTF is an "exciting retail focus and shopping day"?!

"The festival will be held over the weekend of 4th - 6th August 2017, with a one day food festival planned for Friday 4th, an exciting retail focus and shopping day on Saturday 5th, cultural, music, arts and street food festival on Sunday 6th.

Brixton Wave aim is to develop the festival into a community asset with a broader food, arts and cultural tourism legacy for Brixton with international prestige and recognition, whilst remaining as representative of modern Brixton as possible."

This was mentioned at the Brixton Neighbourhood Forum meeting last night. I didn't understand what it was about. So it's a replacement to Brixton Splash. In which case the main driver behind it is Brixton BID. Which explains the last sentence. My personal impression of Brixton BID is that it's main movers are Black owned business. Mainly those working in entertainment and food. Whilst they want to celebrate Brixton heritage they are also doing well due to the changing demographic of Brixton. Hence the emphasis on cultural tourism. I have said before there is a danger of turning Brixton into a theme park. Some Black business people may do well out of that other members of the Black community may find it alienating. What ever the faults of Splash I always felt it was a Afro Carribbean festival. The commercial side of it was secondary.

See the Garden Bridge has been scrapped.

Was supported by leadership of Lambeth Labour. With local Labour Clllrs against it being given a hard time. Kate Hoey MP was also against it.

They have been proved right in the end. Despite the pressure from the Lambeth Labour leadership.

Wonder how Lib Peck will deal with this?

The previous views of Lib Peck

Sadiq Khan and Lib Peck defend controversial Garden Bridge deal
Funny how Lib Peck and her Progress colleagues defended useless expenditure on a vanity project only half in Lambeth and yet care nothing for funding their borough libraries, most of which were built and endowed by philanthropists who DID care about ordinary working people and their children.

Where has the £30 odd million already spent on the Garden Bridge project gone? Newsnight just now could not account for it. £8 million has gone to Ove Arup and £2.3 to Thomas Heatherwick. What about the rest? Lib Peck - can you alert the District Auditor?

These are the kind of idiots you can now find in Brixton on weekends. These two thought it would be a brilliant idea to sit on the back of a truck as it drove off. They swiftly ended up on their arses with probably some cuts and bruises to show for their efforts. Bystanders laughed at them.

FastStoneEditor1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom