Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - April 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was thinking that in a way a monument to Darcus Howe would represent a lot about the Brixton than the Bowie zigzag would have done . Don't suppose there will be a crowd funder though ...
A thread, Darcus Howe, Marxist-Leninst Political Activitst, Writer and Broadcaster Has Joined The Ancestors was opened elsewhere on the Brixton forum, but it was fairly rapidly locked with would-be participants re-directed to a discussion entitled RIP Darcus Howe in the world politics, current affairs and news forum. So far, that thread has placed greater emphasis on Darcus Howe's drinking habits and Linton Kwesi Johnson's dub poetry output than any work that he did while resident in Brixton.

An alternative Brixton website has published a tribute article from a longstanding member of the local community and also a piece reviewing the special tribute event a week ago at the Black Cultural Archives in the centre of Brixton.

Those pieces may be of interest to you, if you can find them.

Darcus Howe intervewed in his office in Brixton, 1975

A thread, Darcus Howe, Marxist-Leninst Political Activitst, Writer and Broadcaster Has Joined The Ancestors was opened elsewhere on the Brixton forum, but it was fairly rapidly locked with would-be participants re-directed to a discussion entitled RIP Darcus Howe in the world politics, current affairs and news forum. So far, that thread has placed greater emphasis on Darcus Howe's drinking habits and Linton Kwesi Johnson's dub poetry output than any work that he did while resident in Brixton.

An alternative Brixton website has published a tribute article from a longstanding member of the local community and also a piece reviewing the special tribute event a week ago at the Black Cultural Archives in the centre of Brixton.

The clip is interesting - more Marxist-Leninist than anti-racist I thought.
But in 1975 this was the tail end of IMG/IS student activity so I guess Darcus Howe was at the black end of that sort of thing.

I was on the outside looking in sort of thing, since I've never been a left wing activist. And unfortunately being out of the loop I did not even know about the programme put on by the BCA on 10th April - which sounded quite interesting.

I hope you will be giving us the benefit of your views on the programme "Guerilla" which was on Sky TV. Not wishing to subsidise Mr Murdochs plans for World Domination I am afraid I may never see it!

Last edited:

Those pieces may be of interest to you, if you can find them.

What was stopping you starting a thread here and writing your own tribute? Or offering to write a piece for another Brixton website that happens to be totally unfunded and unable to cover every single story?

Or is armchair criticism and snide digs with random photos and big text the best you can manage?

Someone else shared this crowdfunder info - LiveTree - social crowdfunding platform. Get Funded. Branch out. Make a difference. - thought other folk here might be interested as some of them lived/squatted in Brixton, apparently:

"REBEL DYKES - the only documentary about a bunch of kickass punk lesbians from London, UK in the 1980s.

"Life in the 1980s? Well... it was exciting, it was scary, it was fun, it was poor, it was a great time and a terrible time to be young and queer in London." Debbie Smith (original Rebel Dyke and guitarist in Curve, Echobelly and Snowpony).

Hello! I’m Siobhan, the producer and researcher of the film REBEL DYKES. The story of the Rebel Dykes is one I curdled to read about, or see on screen, because back in the 1980s, I was a Rebel Dyke.

Before there were today’s queer activists, before there were the Riot Grrls of the 1990’s, there were the Rebel Dykes of London. Young, feminist, anarchist sex friendly punks, who did not just talk about politics they lived them, many meeting by the muddy protest gates along the nine miles of US Missile Base Greenham Common, world renown women only nuclear protest camp. Then living together in squats in Peckham, Brixton and Hackney. Apart from screaming our bloody heads off at political demonstrations every Saturday, they set up squatted creches and bookshops, feminist newspapers and magazines. They had bands like Poison Girls, Mouth Almighty, The Darlings and The Gymslips. They ran Lesbian sex clubs as well women’s nights on almost every night of the week in London culminating in Saturday nights at the legendary ‘Bell’. They were non conformist in almost every way from the simple trans friendly genderfluid to working in the sex industry, or in manual trades, or between the cracks. Looking like dykes we had no choice but to live our politics 24/7. There were many who tried to put us down, they lost. We were outlaw women, and nothing has been quite the same since.

So this is how I got to be producing my first film and why I am standing here, asking you to help me together with the rest of the small filmmaking team realise our dream. In Autumn 2015 I started this journey, wanting to do something at the LGBT History Festival being held in Manchester in Spring 2016. Sitting in the pub with a friend we discussed how the story of the Rebel Dykes seems to have been forgotten, those young, activist, sex positive women who lived such a wild free life in the 1980s. I decided that I wanted to tell these tales, of these post-punk outlaw women making music, art and freedom a decade before the Riot Grrls. Now more than ever we need to know about how these inspiring and rule-breaking women and how they survived the worst of the last onslaught of the Tories to continue being friends to this very day.

My first step was to collect old photographs and oral history. I arranged to come to London one afternoon to interview a few old friends. They came in droves, brought bags of photos, dusty videos and their memories of those days, I got so much stuff, I realised I would have to contact some archivists. After getting touch with The Lesbian Archive, at Glasgow Women’s Library, and The Metropolitan Archive, LGBT section who were fascinated by the collection these pieces were saved for posterity.

I created a presentation, and it exploded! From the LGBT History Conference I went to Lesbian Lives conference, and then to a bar theatre in Brighton, each time the venues got sold out until the size of the venue had to get significantly bigger.

Back in Manchester, my good friends and artists Harri Shanahan and Sian Williams had by now heard of this project. They were burning to find out more, and once they did, they wanted nothing more than to take these stories and to weave a documentary film, a dream film, their first film, a new queer classic, telling the story of those outlaw dykes from long ago. Both are extremely talented early career film-makers, and they together have taken on becoming Directors of the documentary. Each bringing specific talents they have brought to the film. Harri as animator, and Sian as film archivist.

We have since been joined by: Whitney Bluzma, our director of Sound Production, a bass player in a number of DIY, female and queer bands. On this film she has recorded sound, managed the post-production sound processes and recorded Foley sounds; Ellyot Eva Ben-Ezzer, our Composer and Music Supervisor. She has found working on the music for this film fascinating, as came to London from Israel in 1987 and some of Rebel Dykes became her queer family. In Israel she is an well known musician and the most successful female DJ. Prior to her present career in Israel, she made albums with Pollyanna Frank in Israel and Sister George (an influential queercore band) and Night Nurse in the UK. She has also composed for TV and Film; and Hannah McLennan Jones (aka HMJ), our Title Designer and Social Marketing consultant. She is an illustrator, graphic designer and photographer who has worked with the Kate Nash and the Manchester drag scene.

Since then, BOOM! our project has taken a life of its own. We have collected stories, archive material, interviewed people, had sleepless nights, had stolen equipment, lost jobs, lost lovers, and got drunk. We have made the film so far on no money but a huge amount of love. We aim to have a cinema quality film that will one day become a new Queer/Lesbian/music classic film that we want the world to see!

This documentary film is being made because the history of the London Rebel Dykes of the 1980s is in danger of being forgotten. Rebel dykes created their own world, made their own rules, and refused to be ignored. So we can't let history tidy them away.

It's a journey, it’s not over yet, but I promise, this is already very special. Join us, help us finish.

It’s not too late to be a Rebel Dyke!"

LiveTree - social crowdfunding platform. Get Funded. Branch out. Make a difference.

Has anyone had their Council Tax bill yet? It's normally deducted on the 20th but there's on sign of a bill here.
My parents had theirs weeks ago.

Last edited:
WTF is the 'Progress Wrestling Brixton Collection'?

A load of these cheesy pics always crop up in eBay searches for Brixton

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

^^Wrestlers - A quick google indicates that they were at the academy in Sept 2016
I just don't understand this photo series that they've posted on ebay but perhaps there's people lining up to £20 for a print of them posing in random locations around Brixton.

If you want to know ACTUAL FACTS you need to buy a book from a stall outside Iceland.

View attachment 104577

Here's some ACTUAL FACTS (or at least Wikipedia) on them run by a very nasty guy indeed Dwight York .

York was arrested in May 2002. In 2004 he was convicted on federal charges of transporting minors across state lines for the purposes of sexual molestation, as well as racketeering and financial reporting violations. York's case was reported as the largest prosecution for child molestation ever directed at a single person in the history of the United States, both in terms of number of victims and number of incidents.

Anonymous letters were sent to Putnam County officials alleging child molestation at the Nuwaubian community. The FBI, which had started investigating the group in 1993, assigned a major task force to it. In 2002 York was arrested and charged with more than 100 counts of sexually molesting dozens of children, some as young as four years old. According to Bill Osinski, who wrote a 2007 book about York and the case: "When he [York] was finally indicted, state prosecutors literally had to cut back the number of counts listed — from well beyond a thousand to slightly more than 200 — because they feared a jury simply wouldn’t believe the magnitude of York's evil.… [It] is believed to be the nation's largest child molestation prosecution ever directed at a single person, in terms of number of victims and number of alleged criminal acts."

Nuwaubian Nation - Wikipedia

The Nuwaubian Nation or Nuwaubian movement was a religious organization founded and led by Dwight York. York began founding Black Muslim groups in New York in 1967. He changed his teachings and the names of his groups many times, incorporating concepts from Judaism, Christianity, and many esoteric beliefs.

In the late 1980s, he abandoned the Muslim theology of his movement in favor of Kemetism and UFO religion. In 1991 he took his community to settle in upstate New York; then they moved near the county seat of Eatonton, Georgia, in Putnam County. His followers built an ancient Egypt-themed compound called Tama-Re and changed their name to the "United Nuwaubian Nation of Moors."

Last edited:
I
Here's some ACTUAL FACTS (or at least Wikipedia) on them run by a very nasty guy indeed Dwight York .

York was arrested in May 2002. In 2004 he was convicted on federal charges of transporting minors across state lines for the purposes of sexual molestation, as well as racketeering and financial reporting violations. York's case was reported as the largest prosecution for child molestation ever directed at a single person in the history of the United States, both in terms of number of victims and number of incidents.

Anonymous letters were sent to Putnam County officials alleging child molestation at the Nuwaubian community. The FBI, which had started investigating the group in 1993, assigned a major task force to it. In 2002 York was arrested and charged with more than 100 counts of sexually molesting dozens of children, some as young as four years old. According to Bill Osinski, who wrote a 2007 book about York and the case: "When he [York] was finally indicted, state prosecutors literally had to cut back the number of counts listed — from well beyond a thousand to slightly more than 200 — because they feared a jury simply wouldn’t believe the magnitude of York's evil.… [It] is believed to be the nation's largest child molestation prosecution ever directed at a single person, in terms of number of victims and number of alleged criminal acts."

Nuwaubian Nation - Wikipedia

The Nuwaubian Nation or Nuwaubian movement was a religious organization founded and led by Dwight York. York began founding Black Muslim groups in New York in 1967. He changed his teachings and the names of his groups many times, incorporating concepts from Judaism, Christianity, and many esoteric beliefs.

In the late 1980s, he abandoned the Muslim theology of his movement in favor of Kemetism and UFO religion. In 1991 he took his community to settle in upstate New York; then they moved near the county seat of Eatonton, Georgia, in Putnam County. His followers built an ancient Egypt-themed compound called Tama-Re and changed their name to the "United Nuwaubian Nation of Moors."

I'm pretty sure you'll find these are the same people who were running a shop called "All Eyes on Egypt" in the row of shops under Brixton Rec.

That shop used to have regular evening meeting - presumably about Egyptian black (oc)cultic matters and was there for years. I think it must have closed down when the arches were decanted as it looks like an Eritrean restaurant has taken overt the unit.

...I hope you will be giving us the benefit of your views on the programme "Guerilla" which was on Sky TV. Not wishing to subsidise Mr Murdochs plans for World Domination I am afraid I may never see it!
Thank you for your comments.

I do not have Sky TV.

The funeral arrangements for former Brixton resident Darcus Howe on Thursday 20 April 2017 are as follows:

10.00am: Cortege leaves home in Norbury

10.30am: Stops at 165 Railton Road, SE24 0LU, for wreath-laying

11.30am: Funeral Service at All Saints Church, Clydesdale Rd, Notting Hill, London W11 1JE

2.30pm: Brief stop at former site of the Mangrove Restaurant on All Saints Road, London W11

3.00pm: Interment at West London Crematorium, Kensal Green, London NW10 5JS

C8bKKstXkAAtvgV.jpg

So despite the claims/concerns vigorously expressed by some, it seems people have actually been able to quite happily sneak past the security staff and negotiate the tortuous ways of Pop Brixton to find the fridge and get food from it. Not such a disastrous location then.
Damn it, didn't have time to put a fiver on you saying that.

So despite the claims/concerns vigorously expressed by some, it seems people have actually been able to quite happily sneak past the security staff and negotiate the tortuous ways of Pop Brixton to find the fridge and get food from it. Not such a disastrous location then.
Yes, there's lines of the needy and homeless packing into Pop Brixton these days. Not.

The fridge is a bloody great idea and I hope it catches on in locations that are far more accessible and open to the people who really need feeding.

We have fairly much zero information on who actually uses the fridge. On the other hand: what about the "should you put tomatoes in the fridge" controversy? Perhaps that could bump the post count for this month's Brixton news, rumours, general chat and tedium thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom