Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - April 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a big toilet on Market Row. It seemed like a 'proper toilet' last time I used it.
Amazingly, some people aren't too keen to queue up and pay at the single toilet facility that's available at night in the market. Local doorways, walls and bits of green space just seem so much more tempting to some.

But given the almighty increase in people coming into town to spend their money at the vastly increased array of bars and restaurants, you can't seriously be arguing that Brixton is well served with public toilets, can you?

No. Lack of toilets is a big problem and it's getting worse all the time. The new charge for the Pope's Road toilets is a disaster. And there are far too many people who think pissing in the street is fair enough. I would hope that the would-be restaurateur would want a toilet in his restaurant, and that if he didn't want one the planners would insist on it. What's the situation with the existing venues on Market Row? Do some of them have their own toilets?

Apparently the closed underground public toilet in Windrush Square still has intact plumbing and fixtures and everything. But the council doesn't want to reopen it. Too expensive. How about a 'toilet tax' on top of the business rates for businesses with a late night drinking licence? I suppose they would say that it's unfair. Maybe Tfl could contribute.

I don't expect many (any?) of the market units have their own toilets and it's probably not very easy to put one in because the necessary drainage/sewerage will probably not exist. After all, it was built to house market units, not bars and restaurants.

The council are right to "obstruct" more units changing over, if there is a planning policy that states a certain ratio should stay as retail.

Whether there should be more toilets is a building regs / licensing thing and I believe we've been through this on here before. I think the outcome was "there probably should be really" but I forget the details now.

I don't expect many (any?) of the market units have their own toilets and it's probably not very easy to put one in because the necessary drainage/sewerage will probably not exist. After all, it was built to house market units, not bars and restaurants.

The council are right to "obstruct" more units changing over, if there is a planning policy that states a certain ratio should stay as retail.

Whether there should be more toilets is a building regs / licensing thing and I believe we've been through this on here before. I think the outcome was "there probably should be really" but I forget the details now.
Not a definitive list but Seven, Bukowski, Salon, Franco Manca, former wishbone, all have toilets iirc.

You're pathetic. Find someone else to argue with. While you're at it, do a survey and find out whether anyone has ever been into a bar solely to use the toilet. I doubt I'm the only one.

Here's a reminder of the goalposts you set when introducing the topic:

With no proper toilet provision available there's already far too many booze-shunting outlets in the markets if you ask me.

20p to get through the turnstile. Which I predict will be broken very soon.

Same thing has happened in central London. Gradually public toilets have been closed sold off or changed to having a charge. Even in City of London and Westminster. The richest areas. How is it the Victorians saw the need for free public toilets? Yet now it's regarded as something one has to pay for.

Same thing has happened in central London. Gradually public toilets have been closed sold off or changed to having a charge. Even in City of London and Westminster. The richest areas. How is it the Victorians saw the need for free public toilets? Yet now it's regarded as something one has to pay for.
Exactly. Just taking in the stench of stale piss around Brixton on a Sunday morning will take you exactly how badly a proper provision of free public toilets is needed. I'm fed up seeing people leave the Village and piss around my block (or all over Carlton Mansions).

Disruptive Conduct

52069748_7.jpg

The centre of Brixton, 10-12 April 1981

offline-birthday.jpg

easter-party-brixton-albert.jpg

The centre of Brixton, 1 & 13 April 2017

How times have changed.

52069748_7.jpg

How times have changed.
Oh fuck off with this inane schoolboy shit. Bars have put on free music nights in Brixton for fucking decades.

Why you're trying to link my nights with random police brutality from 36 years ago is anyone's guess, but you're only succeeding in making yourself like an attention seeking, bold-text using, disruptive bellend. Grow the fuck up.

52069748_7.jpg

offline-birthday.jpg

easter-party-brixton-albert.jpg

How times have changed.

As I was in Brixton in 81 I would like to know the point you are making.

When I first started to use the Albert it was five men and a dog. Gradually became popular with the Short Life / squatting community. Still run under the firm hand of Pat. It was mainly white. The Atlantic ( now the Dogstar) was still Afro Carribbean pub. The Railway was also popular. I always preferred the Albert.

The Albert has imo stayed as a pub for locals. Despite the changes that have happened to Brixton. So wrong target.

As I was in Brixton in 81 I would like to know the point you are making.

When I first started to use the Albert it was five men and a dog. Gradually became popular with the Short Life / squatting community. Still run under the firm hand of Pat. It was mainly white. The Atlantic ( now the Dogstar) was still Afro Carribbean pub. The Railway was also popular. I always preferred the Albert.

The Albert has imo stayed as a pub for locals. Despite the changes that have happened to Brixton. So wrong target.
Of all the targets to make his clumsy, ham-fisted point, he stupidly chooses just about cheapest and most 'locals' pub left in central Brixton, and then randomly posts up posters for two completely free nights.

Of all the targets to make his clumsy, ham-fisted point, he stupidly chooses just about cheapest and most 'locals' pub left in central Brixton, and then randomly posts up posters for two completely free nights.

Another thing as I was there back in 81. The 81 riot was against a racist police. I remember Operation Swamp that lead up to and caused the riot. Police on every corner. It was an anti Police riot. The Met lost. There was a sense in Brixton at the time that the Met got a well deserved beating.

As it happens I got stopped and searched during Operation Swamp. Just living in Brixton then meant you were part of the "enemy within". This was early days of Thatcher. She was totally divisive. You were either for her or against her. Police loved Thatcher. She gave them big pay rises. Didn't really know it then but she was out to restructure society and wanted the police onside.

In long term she won. What's happened to Brixton now can be traced back to Thatcher.

Black and white communities in Brixton at that time on the whole got on with each other. I remember the 81 riot. I never felt unsafe.

Wasn't there supposed to be some sort of half arsed directive in place limiting the amount of groovy new foodie/boozey-magnets that could be accommodated in the Brixton indoor markets? Maybe he's fallen foul of that.

With no proper toilet provision available there's already far too many booze-shunting outlets in the markets if you ask me.
The council imposed a 50% limit on restaurant use - due to public complaints about the traders being squeezed out as I understand it.

Is that wrong now then?

Gramsci editor re GarveyLives from what I recall back in 1981 the Albert was rather racist.
In fact if you were a local working class black person you no doubt went to the "Berry" i.e. the Coach and Horses (now Living). If you were working class UKIP style white you went to the Albert.

Moreover since everyone is posturing about it I can claim to have been at at Young Liberal meeting held at the Coach and Horses in 1981 during Swamp 81.

After the meeting broke up we were held standing on the pavement outside for some time whilst the OB searched our most disreputable looking member (we were all white I need hardly say). The guy looked like a tramp and had a couple of Sainsburys carrier bags which they emptied out on the pavement. Drugs?

Of course the Fuzz didn't care to know we were acolytes of (Sir) David Steel (not that they would have cared) - they were "projecting power". Donald Trump would have approved.

Last edited:
Gramsci editor re GarveyLives from what I recall back in 1981 the Albert was rather racist.
In fact if you were a local working class black person you no doubt went to the "Berry" i.e. the Coach and Horses (now Living). If you were working class UKIP style white you went to the Albert.

We are going to have to disagree on this. I didn't find the Albert a racist pub. If it had been I wouldn't have used it.

Also a pub with a racist reputation was burned down in 81 riots. The George In all three riots in Brixton the Albert was never touched. Which suggests to me it wasn't considered a racist pub.

It's true that some pubs were mainly Afro Carribbean and some mainly white. That's how it was. It doesn't mean the Albert was racist.

The Albert was literally a few old men and one dog when I first started using it. It was originally an Irish pub. I don't remember when exactly it got popular with the S/L and squatting community. Some time in mid 80s. Some of us were not so keen on The Railway. Bit to mad for my liking. I got to know Pat ,a bit she did keep to herself, I never saw her as racist. When she died the church was packed by all her regulars. She was well liked.

Last edited:
We are going to have to disagree on this. I didn't find the Albert a racist pub. If it had been I wouldn't have used it.

Also a pub with a racist reputation was burned down in 81 riots. The Hamilton. In all three riots in Brixton the Albert was never touched. Which suggests to me it wasn't considered a racist pub.

It's true that some pubs were mainly Afro Carribbean and some mainly white. That's how it was. It doesn't mean the Albert was racist.

The Albert was literally a few old men and one dog when I first started using it. It was originally an Irish pub. I don't remember when exactly it got popular with the S/L and squatting community. Some time in mid 80s. Some of us were not so keen on The Railway. Bit to mad for my liking. I got to know Pat ,a bit she did keep to herself, I never saw her as racist. When she died the church was packed by all her regulars. She was well liked.
I don't think I got to the Albert until the mid 1980s but I was immediately struck by how tolerant and diverse it was compared to most boozers at the time. I remember it being a popular pre-club boozer for lesbians and gays, and I don't have any recollection of any kind of open racism going on. The diverse mix of people who attended Pat's funeral perhaps tells it own story.

My Toshiba netbook is playing up. The icons are displayed when I switch it on, but the cursor seems to have disappeared.

Anyone in Brixton or environs who is tech savvy and could maybe fix it?

PM me, please.

My Toshiba netbook is playing up. The icons are displayed when I switch it on, but the cursor seems to have disappeared.

Anyone in Brixton or environs who is tech savvy and could maybe fix it?

PM me, please.
Have you tried rebooting/plugging in a mouse/starting in safe mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom