Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - April 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbh the language they use on their menu makes me concerned that I would thump someone before I could place an order.

I avoided it for ages for that reason although it's less than 5 mins from me. That and what seemed to be the clientele. However, went late one night for a drink and the people running it were lovely and chilled, so should give it another go.

I avoided it for ages for that reason although it's less than 5 mins from me. That and what seemed to be the clientele. However, went late one night for a drink and the people running it were lovely and chilled, so should give it another go.
Didn't the premises used to be the secondhand furniture shop of one Egbert Christie, erstwhile perennialhave Tory candidate for Town Hall ward?
(He never got in of course though if he had he'd probably been somewhat to the Left of our current crop of New Labour councillors!)

Didn't the premises used to be the secondhand furniture shop of one Egbert Christie, erstwhile perennialhave Tory candidate for Town Hall ward?
(He never got in of course though if he had he'd probably been somewhat to the Left of our current crop of New Labour councillors!)

Possibly - before my time. Was 'Upstairs' for a good few years - the restaurant run by Philippe who owns cafe Opus (downstairs). I thought it was residential before that.

Possibly - before my time. Was 'Upstairs' for a good few years - the restaurant run by Philippe who owns cafe Opus (downstairs). I thought it was residential before that.
I went to Upstairs. It was alright but I couldn't get as excited as some people seemed to get.

Recommendations sought: Best restaurant in Brixton for veggie food. It's a date, so nowhere too shabby, too loud or too overrun with hipsters (ideally). Ideas? ;)

Negril has Ital stuff on the menu but you'd have to look at people munching on huge plates of jerk.
The Wholemeal Cafe people in Streatham should open one in Brixton.

No. His shop was on the next corner - Strathleven Road. After a brief spell as an estate agent, it's now a café.

Reactions: CH1
Hike along to Boqueria on Acre Lane which will have a good 8 or 10 veg options, is really good food and a nice buzzy atmosphere.

"The Lounge" and "Date" are uncomfortable bedfellows
I've thought of trying Boqueria for a while now, I just wish it was a bit more conveniently located. It's a bit awkward if you're meeting someone at the tube, and then have to warn them they're in for a 15 minute walk...

I've thought of trying Boqueria for a while now, I just wish it was a bit more conveniently located. It's a bit awkward if you're meeting someone at the tube, and then have to warn them they're in for a 15 minute walk...
It's a consideration. And there is no good pitstop along the way really.

We used to get our walking done first and get half pissed in the Prince of Wales and then float down onto Acre Lane and the Boqueria.

E2a the prince of wales near windmill gardens. Not either of the other 2 lesser quality prince of wales pubs in the vicinity

Last edited:

Plenty of buses going that way

If you're meeting a first-time date who's travelled down to Brixton to see you, I think it's a bit much to then suggest they wait in a bus queue.

Fair enough, any horse-drawn carriages for hire round the town hall?

There is something major going on at present with armed response cops at Tulse Hill estate carrying what look to me like machine guns, although I know nothing about machine guns, also a few ambulances there, quite a few cops at the Hootenanny and then lots of unmarked cops on Upper Tulse Hill had stopped people near Roupell Road. I had been driving back from Hampstead and the armed police passed us at Kennington Park, coming from Vauxhall direction.

There is something major going on at present with armed response cops at Tulse Hill estate carrying what look to me like machine guns, although I know nothing about machine guns, also a few ambulances there, quite a few cops at the Hootenanny and then lots of unmarked cops on Upper Tulse Hill had stopped people near Roupell Road. I had been driving back from Hampstead and the armed police passed us at Kennington Park, coming from Vauxhall direction.
Sadly, this is not as historic an occurrence as some might think.

For example, eighteen year-old Nana Darko-Frempong was shot in the face and chest outside his home in Purser House in Tulse Hill Estate at around 11pm on 6 June 2011 and died at the scene.

On 22 May 2013, and Old Bailey jury convicted Nathan Deacon of Paulet Road, Camberwell, and Christopher Gabriel of Melfort Road, Thornton Heath of murder. They were both sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum of 30 years before parole

What the hell:

David Chambers has invited you to join Nextdoor.

Nextdoor is a private social network that helps neighbours connect with each other to build stronger communities.

Yet another of these emails. Who is he? Where doe he live? Are they sending out similar emails about me?

This might work in the convivial US of A - but don't they realise that Brixton falls within the old Surrey county boundary. We don't communicate unless we have been introduced - in person!

I agree with the post being moved from a thread entitled "General Brixton history - photos, stories etc" - sadly, the occurrence is not really a historic event.

Did any further details of the incident subsequently come to light?

We went to Mildreds last weekend! :D

Going out again tomorrow night, but in Brixton this time - I know the options are limited, and trying to find somewhere that's not horribly cramped, achingly trendy or excessively meat focused is a major challenge.
Has it improved over the years? I recall a meal in Mildreds years ago in the west end, that was so horrid that 4 of us all left without finishing the meal even though we were hungry. We had all ordered different dishes but they all looked the same - sort of brownish and covered in seeds. buscador says she is still scarred by the experience.

First time I went in Mildreds was probably about 15 years ago, have been intermittently since then, last visit within the past couple of years. It's always seemed pretty good to me - only annoying thing is the queue when it's busy, which seems to be all the time.

A friend got her phone picked out of her pocket by some thieving scumbag at the Albert on Saturday so take care out there...

Has it improved over the years? I recall a meal in Mildreds years ago in the west end, that was so horrid that 4 of us all left without finishing the meal even though we were hungry. We had all ordered different dishes but they all looked the same - sort of brownish and covered in seeds. buscador says she is still scarred by the experience.
Went to the one in Camden the other weekend, first time I'd been to one, was great - really nice food, nice atmosphere, very chilled out & friendly - it was a slightly surreal experience, being able to pick anything off the menu!

Just been chatting to a guy who owns a shop in Market Row. He's been there for 10+ years and now wants to turn the shop into a restaurant. He says the market owners are OK with it but the council is being obstructive about the A3 licence. Mind you, his English isn't good so maybe it's a misunderstanding. I said I would try to find out the basics and point him in the right direction. Is it very hard to get permission for this sort of thing nowadays? Can anyone help?

As far as I understand it, there is no planning permission requirement for individual units but the market owners have a planning obligation to maintain an overall equilibrium between retail and A3. i.e. It's up to the market owners so long as the overall balance is maintained.

I haven't double checked this but it's my recollection.

Just been chatting to a guy who owns a shop in Market Row. He's been there for 10+ years and now wants to turn the shop into a restaurant. He says the market owners are OK with it but the council is being obstructive about the A3 licence. Mind you, his English isn't good so maybe it's a misunderstanding. I said I would try to find out the basics and point him in the right direction. Is it very hard to get permission for this sort of thing nowadays? Can anyone help?
Wasn't there supposed to be some sort of half arsed directive in place limiting the amount of groovy new foodie/boozey-magnets that could be accommodated in the Brixton indoor markets? Maybe he's fallen foul of that.

With no proper toilet provision available there's already far too many booze-shunting outlets in the markets if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom