Status
Not open for further replies.
the Hamilton was a largely black pub as far as I remember
A bloody good pub too.

hamilton-arms-brixton-3.jpg

Brixton life ten years ago: The Hamilton Arms, 128 Railton Road, SE24

Re: The George

mingles-harmony-brixton-3.jpg

The pub was rebuilt in the 1930s, but was destroyed during the 1981 Brixton riots with the South London Press reporting that, ‘The burning of the George pub in Railton Road was undoubtedly an act of revenge for years of racial discrimination.”

The pub already had a racist reputation by the 1960s, with the landlord attracting further anger from the local community when he banned gays in 1975 (Railton Road was home to the The Brixton Fairies and the South London Gay Community Centre in the mid-1970s).
Lost Brixton pubs: Harmony Bar/Mingles/The George on Railton Road, Brixton

We are going to have to disagree on this. I didn't find the Albert a racist pub. If it had been I wouldn't have used it. I got to know Pat ,a bit she did keep to herself, I never saw her as racist. When she died the church was packed by all her regulars. She was well liked.
So when did Pat take over at the Albert then?

I had a Bajan bus conductor friend who was very thick with her - so I doubt she was racist in any way. Makes me think she came post 1981 riot.

I had a Bajan bus conductor friend who was very thick with her - so I doubt she was racist in any way. Makes me think she came post 1981 riot.
Must have been some time around 1981/2.

Tribute to Pat Burke, landlady of the Prince Albert pub in Coldharbour Lane, Brixton SW9 8TT

Tribute to Pat Burke, landlady of the Prince Albert pub in Coldharbour Lane, Brixton SW9 8TT - comments from the urban75 bulletin board, May 2002

Her husband ran the pub. I think he died. She took over. From what I remember she was there when I first started using Albert in early 80s when it was still just a few old men and a dog.

Her husband ran the pub. I think he died. She took over. From what I remember she was there when I first started using Albert in early 80s when it was still just a few old men and a dog.

Pat was great. She used to let my friend Roland sleep by the fire when he couldn't make it home, which was quite often. He only lived on Rushcroft Road.

Pat was great. She used to let my friend Roland sleep by the fire when he couldn't make it home, which was quite often. He only lived on Rushcroft Road.

Yes she was. She also didn't stand any nonsense in her pub. She didn't need security guards. The regulars would back her up. The only pub in central Brixton run by a woman. I had a lot of respect for her.

Yes she was. She also didn't stand any nonsense in her pub. She didn't need security guards. The regulars would back her up. The only pub in central Brixton run by a woman. I had a lot of respect for her.

Yep, me too. She was hard as nails but you knew where you stood. I got a dressing down now and then. The next Pat was arguably even cooler, he was a great landlord too. The alberts been a bit shit really since those days. Rarely venture in these days although of course that could just be me getting a bit older and less tolerant of dickheads.

Yep, me too. She was hard as nails but you knew where you stood. I got a dressing down now and then. The next Pat was arguably even cooler, he was a great landlord too. The alberts been a bit shit really since those days. Rarely venture in these days although of course that could just be me getting a bit older and less tolerant of dickheads.

Agree that it's a bit shit in there now, although the pub still has its moments. Both Pats were very tough acts to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom