Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - February 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brixton was bound to "tilt" with all this nouveau riche influx.
Besides according a a certain publication of the Brixton Society (written by a former Labour chair of Social Services) its like what goes around comes around.
WebPhoto-460x652.jpg

Anyone tried a takeaway fish and chips from that new Hip Hop Chip Shop place? I read a good review of the dine-in side of the operation so I went to the takeaway window with high hopes. I ordered cod and chips but was given plaice. Didn't find out til I got home. And they tried to stiff me on the change twice - I'm sure it wasn't an oversight, they knew what they were doing. It was late on a Saturday so they probably assumed I was drunk and could therefore be thoroughly fucked over. Worst of all was that everything was soaked in fat. I was so hungry I ate the lot but the fat nearly had me heaving later. It was easily the worst fish and chip experience of my entire life. I hope it was just a blip - please somebody tell me how wonderful it was for them. I would love to have good fish and chips on my doorstep.
Yes, I went there a few weeks ago but earlier in the night, it wasn't so bad, not as greasy as you mention, maybe it was different staff on but like the Editor says, walk an extra couple of minutes and go to Jimmy's Plaice, it's much better

Putting in here because I need to get rid of the thing pronto, but if anyone wants a heavy duty office table in decent condition, it's yours - but you need to pick it up in the next day or two from central Brixton (a two person job, for sure!).

It looks a fair bit like this £85 desk but doesn't have the two cable holes on the top. It's about 5ft 6in long, standard height.

d748c7bd4bd961e6969f0b8969377ea6.jpg

Brixton Record shops on the telly:

Vinyl spins off the shelves in Brixton
I was thinking of junking my quite extensive vinyl collection - but having recently bought a "special edition" of The Devils was fascinated to find I had an LP by the percussionist on the film soundtrack (Stomu Yamshta) and now I'm back to feeling I can't part with those old LPs.

Actually I do agree with those who think the sound of vinyl is somehow more natural - whatever the type of music.

Close to what used to be "Albert's Plaice" fish and chip shop then, aka "Poison Albert's".

Morley's carry on the tradition on the site of Alberts - remember the fried chicken cabinet with a single 40w bulb keeping the food kind of warm?
I don't think I ever risked anything other than chips from there and they were gross.

Morley's carry on the tradition on the site of Alberts - remember the fried chicken cabinet with a single 40w bulb keeping the food kind of warm?
I don't think I ever risked anything other than chips from there and they were gross.
The chips served up by the fish&chip/'freshly made' pizza/kebab shop in Loughborough Junction are unbelievably awful. I suspect they're hewn from some strange hybrid mush.

I was thinking of junking my quite extensive vinyl collection - but having recently bought a "special edition" of The Devils was fascinated to find I had an LP by the percussionist on the film soundtrack (Stomu Yamshta) and now I'm back to feeling I can't part with those old LPs.

Actually I do agree with those who think the sound of vinyl is somehow more natural - whatever the type of music.

My work listening this morning was this - The Holy Mountain (Soundtrack) (reissue) at Juno Records
I suspect I may need to go back and revisit the work i did.

For those of you who can afford to spend £48 per head in a cocktail bar, the Shrub & Shutter is doing a El Dorado Rum night with food on the 25th.
El Dorado Rum night at The Shrub & Shutter
Five drinks and four courses of food. Divided up that's about £5.30 per drink/course. If you wanted to treat yourself for a night out (and you were a rum fan), that is exceptionally good value for money. Obviously you could buy drinks and food a lot cheaper than that elsewhere if you wanted to but as a package and with a table in a bar where they have to pay staff/rent etc that sounds very reasonable. That kind of thing you would expect to be north of £70 in Nu-Brixton. Good on them.

Yes it's amazing value. They must be doing it out of the goodness of their hearts!

I'd try and go myself but I imagine all the places have already been scooped up by residents of the estate opposite.

I mean, who the hell can't afford a £100 treat for two these days?

Last edited:
Yes it's amazing value. They must be doing it out of the goodness of their hearts!

I'd try and go myself but I imagine all the places have already been scooped up by residents of the estate opposite.

I mean, who the hell can't afford a £100 treat for two these days?

Admit it, you are saving your pennies for their 'Disney takeover' on Sunday:
10a5405ab6a488cb5e3f5ab0eade7580.jpg

Not much different from going out a couple of times a in a week, which a lot of people do regularly and can easily cost more than £20 a night.

Of course some people across the estate and elsewhere might not be able to afford it. But some of them might not be able to afford even a single night out a month, never mind a week, in the cheapest pub in Brixton either. So if we are to judge the merits of a bar or restaurant on whether all members of the local community can afford it, I would suggest censuring every single venue in Brixton, even the 'Spoons, because there are certainly some people who cannot afford a drink in any of them.

Some people would halpilly spend £50 on a meal, others might rather spend a similar amount on a football away day, or an evening at West End show. There is no right or wrong to what one chooses to spend their hard earned on, and neither should they be judged or sneered at for doing so.

Some people would halpilly spend £50 on a meal, others might rather spend a similar amount on a football away day, or an evening at West End show. There is no right or wrong to what one chooses to spend their hard earned on, and neither should they be judged or sneered at for doing so.
Ah, here we go again. The excuses and the weird financial comparisons with totally unrelated activities.

If you're comfortable having an exclusive cocktail bar opening up opposite one of the most deprived estates in London, offering 'deals' that are totally unaffordable to the community they reside in, and targeting rich tourists, that's fine. I'm not comfortable with it though. It illustrates the growing poverty gap all too graphically for me.

PS The Moorlands estate has one of the highest number of people on benefits, so that "hard earned" comment is particularly meaningless/patronising. Many are living on the breadline so can't afford £100 meals for two, regardless of whether their income was "hard earned" or not, and regardless of whether they'd like a "treat" or not.

Those living in the most deprived areas are spread throughout the borough but are particularly concentrated in Coldharbour ward

Coldharbour is the most deprived ward in the borough, unemployment is high and income is lower than the borough average

Eight areas in Lambeth which are among the 10% most deprived in the country
The Moorlands Estate is classified as severely deprived in income, employment and wider barriers to services.

Coldharbour is the poorest ward in Lambeth. Three in five residents are social housing tenants (61% v 38% overall); two thirds of whom rent from the council's ALMOs39 (Lambeth Living and United Resident’s Housing) or a Tenant Management Organisation (TMO), and a third from housing associations (40% and 21% respectively of the population of the ward). Reflecting this, ward residents are less likely to be owner occupiers (12% vs 36%). Coldharbour is also one of the most ethnically diverse wards in the borough. Residents are less likely to be white British (28% vs 47%) and more likely to be Black Caribbean (17% vs 10%) or Black African (21% vs 10%). They are less likely to have no religion (11% vs 19%) and more likely to have a Non-Christian religion (16% vs 10%). Coldharbour ward residents are more likely to have children (46% vs 35%), to think that not enough is being done for young people (26% vs 19%) and to use primary (14% vs 9%) and secondary education (21% vs 13%). They are more likely to use libraries (45% vs 37%) and to have a good opinion of libraries (65% vs 48%). Residents of Coldharbour ward are less likely to be employed (51% vs 59%), and reflecting this they are more likely to receive: Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance (29% vs 12%), Housing Benefit (44% vs 22%) or Council Tax Benefit (35% vs 17%), and they are more likely to use the Housing benefit service (26% vs 16%). They are less likely to get interest from savings (0% vs 11%).
http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/sites/default/files/State-of-the-borough-2012.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom