Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - February 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard it was new automated food dispatching machinery that they were installing

7lyqlln.gif

Even if you had to poo really badly knowing full well that you if you didn't go in the next 5 minutes, you'd soil your kegs?
Happily, I never let myself get into such a state of desperation. Mind you, I wouldn't use the Albert's toilet in such a situation either. With its free roaming, piss splattered seat and permanent paucity of toilet paper, things might get very messy indeed.

I'd just go home and do it there. Job, quite literally, done.

Happily, I never let myself get into such a state of desperation. Mind you, I wouldn't use the Albert's toilet in such a situation either. With its free roaming, piss splattered seat and permanent paucity of toilet paper, things might get very messy indeed.
I'd just go home and do it there. Job, quite literally, done.
Good for you - not so good for people who shop in central Brixton (or commute through it) but live a good 20 minutes from it.

Good for you - not so good for people who shop in central Brixton (or commute through it) but live a good 20 minutes from it.
It's not so good for me really: the amount of people pissing around my block and on CHL has gone through the roof in recent years. It's disgusting.

With all the nu-businesses raking in cash around town and the vastly increased influx of tourist drinkers coming to these new bars and drinkeries, it's a real shame that funding hasn't been raised for proper public toilets.

Instead of sticking strip lights up the tree in Windrush Square, perhaps Brixton Bid could have done something useful in this area.

Surely any funding raised for the provision of adequate toilet facilities should come from all businesses, or at the very least all night-time businesses, not just those perceived to be 'nu-Brixton'? I'm pretty sure the much loved established old-skool businesses are racking it just as nicely as the newcomers.

Traditional bars and clubs already provide free toilet facilities for their customers but in hugely popular new drinking places like, for example, the Village and Market Row, there are no free toilet facilities at all - and I often see people dashing across the road to have a piss near my block. Not sure how the modest offerings at Pop would have coped with the thousands turning up last week either and Valentia Place reeked of piss after that Christmas thing was in town.

That's not to say that all late bars shouldn't contribute to providing all-night facilities, but there is a growing problem with mid-evening al fresco pissing simply because many of the new places don't have any toilet facilities or what is in place is insufficient for demand. Unsurprisingly, Brixton Bid don't seem to have done anything positive in this area.

you might be interested to learn that venue may soon be permanent .......http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/sites/default/files/brl_redacted_application_Prem1929.pdf

It says:

We may provide entertainment in the form of outdoor cinema, outdoor sports viewing, alternative sports participation, unrecognised sports participation, immersive theatre, immersive dance, burlesque, tap dance, mime, stage show, computer gaming and other reasonable entertainment deemed safe by appropriate laws and standards.

I'm intrigued to know what unrecognised sports participation is!

It says:

We may provide entertainment in the form of outdoor cinema, outdoor sports viewing, alternative sports participation, unrecognised sports participation, immersive theatre, immersive dance, burlesque, tap dance, mime, stage show, computer gaming and other reasonable entertainment deemed safe by appropriate laws and standards.

I'm intrigued to know what unrecognised sports participation is!

something not in the Olympics....... bear baiting. maybe ?

you might be interested to learn that venue may soon be permanent .......http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/sites/default/files/brl_redacted_application_Prem1929.pdf
This sounds like they want to provide more of the same from Christmas:
OUR POLICY AND OBJECTIVE IS TO PROMOTE SENSIBLE AND RESPONSIBLE CONSUMPTION OF ALCOHOL. THE TYPES OF REGULATED ENTERTAINMENT PROPOSED FOCUS ON THE NORMAL BAR AND FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT, WITH THE BENEFIT TO ENHANCE THE LOCAL FACILITIES FOR SOCIAL ENTERTAINMENT AND REDUCE THE FOCUS ON ALCOHOL. OUR PERFORMANCE LED NARRATIVE AND EXTENSIVE PRODUCTION AIMED AT VISUALLY IMPRESSING CUSTOMERS HAS GIVEN US A RESPECTABLE AUDIENCE WHOSE ATTRACTION IS OFTEN MORE FOOD ORIENTATED. WE WILL CONTINUE TO MARKET TO THIS DEMOGRAPHIC TO ENSURE WE AVOID NUISANCE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. LATER CLOSING TIMES AND GENEROUS DRINKING UP TIME AND A GOOD ENTERTAINMENT ITINERARY ACTUALLY HELP TO CREATE A MORE RELAXED AND ENJOYABLE ENVIRONMENT WHERE ALCOHOL IS NOT THE ONLY FOCUS AND THERE IS LESS PRESSURE TO CONSUME DRINKS BEFORE CLOSING TIME. PEOPLE TEND TO LEAVE OVER THE COURSE OF THE NIGHT AS OPPOSED TO A MASS EVACUATION AT CLOSING TIME. THIS 'SOFT CLOSE' POLICY ALSO HELPS WITH PUBLIC ORDER. WE HAVE EXPERIENCE IN TESTING THESE POLICIES THROUGH THE EXPERIENCE GAINED WORKING ALONGSIDE THE COUNCIL OVER CHRISTMAS 2015.
The claims of the South Pole Saloon thing over Christmas to “cater for the whims of the most fantastical, playful and debaucherous guests” was wildly overstated. It was more or less the same as any other trendy bar with a few women standing on the bar.

No Splash this year
Brixton Splash
wow.
I agree that (for me anyway) the crowds have been too much last couple of years, so dense you can hardly dance. But... “The community needs to reclaim this as a celebration of Brixton, not a free for all that creates chaos, mess and unease. I hope local people and businesses will rise to that challenge and get involved with planning Brixton Splash for 2017 that can once again be a safe, fun and genuine community event."
I mean, How's that gonna happen? Maybe build a giant wall round Brixton and ask to see proof of address for anyone wanting to get in? :(

I know you lot love well-intentioned gigs in unusual places - so to remind you that in the basement of 336 Brixton Road (former air-conditioning suite to Coutts mainframe computer centre) Certitude (the charity formerly known as Fanon, after the Marxist black French psychiatrist) are doing some sort of fund raiser @ £5 entry
Certitude.jpeg

I have a very good friend coming to Brixton today. She wants brunch. The last time I had brunch, it was 3 years ago in Sitifis. Can anyone suggest a decent non-poncy place to have brunch?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom