Brixton news, rumour and general chat - February 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was well worth the trip east out of Brixton last night

joiners-camberwell-sat-night-02.jpg

joiners-camberwell-sat-night-11.jpg

joiners-camberwell-sat-night-14.jpg

joiners-camberwell-sat-night-19.jpg

Saturday night east of Brixton: live bands at the Joiners Arms and The Junction, Camberwell, SE5

Is the Classic Bed Company still on Norwood road opposite the park? I got a lovely mattress from there years ago which is still very comfy. More recently I've been buying online. Recently bought a really comfy firm memory foam double mattress on eBay for about£150.
Unfortunately that went several years ago. I bought many mattresses there, so was wondering where on earth I will buy my next one from.

presumably there's no chance the record shop will re-appear, right?

None. It's a long time since it made any money. Blacker was trying to sell it for ages before he went inside. He doesn't have a tenancy on the space any more, the new tenants pay the market owner directly. They (the new tenants) may not be there for more than three months. People are keeping an eye on the record shop signage, hoping for a chance to preserve it. That's the best we can hope for.

Well their marketing people have got their money's worth - a puff piece in the sub-Standard followed by a repeat for free here.
Yep, I'm sure the queues will be forming because of my one line mention here.

The fact is that it'll be packed anyway, regardless of any comments here. All these nu-Brixton chain ventures are backed by hefty PR budgets and the story will be in loads of mainstream media outlets. But not on Buzz.

Yep, I'm sure the queues will be forming because of my one line mention here.

The fact is that it'll be packed anyway, regardless of any comments here. All these nu-Brixton chain ventures are backed by hefty PR budgets and the story will be in loads of mainstream media outlets. But not on Buzz.

The South Carolina and Memphis ones look cool. Might try the SC one cos they have proper southern food too like collard greens and white gravy but I suspect I'll be eating alongside estate agents and the like.
Anyone else remember the Arkansas Cafe in Spitalfields Market before that place went all ya-ya? Was the only proper rib place in London in the mid-90s.

The South Carolina and Memphis ones look cool. Might try the SC one cos they have proper southern food too like collard greens and white gravy but I suspect I'll be eating alongside estate agents and the like.
Anyone else remember the Arkansas Cafe in Spitalfields Market before that place went all ya-ya? Was the only proper rib place in London in the mid-90s.

Yeah, Bubba's wasn't it?

I'm hearing that Brixton now has its first 'human statue' busker outside the tube station.

#tourists
Yep - a pirate, complete with weird grin, fake cutlass, and plastic gold coins. I was tempted to tell him that Brixtonites are far too cool to pay attention to that sort of thing. :rolleyes:

Yep - a pirate, complete with weird grin, fake cutlass, and plastic gold coins. I was tempted to tell him that Brixtonites are far too cool to pay attention to that sort of thing. :rolleyes:
No they're not. They even write about the fucker on message boards ;)

No they're not. They even write about the fucker on message boards ;)
Too cool to chuck him money for poncing around like that though! Who wants living statues when you can have a steel pan band instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom