Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because, just perhaps, the attitude you're representing as prevelant isn't the actual (ever-so-slightly more ambivalent) attitude that many of us who worry about gentrification and its effects actually hold?

Yes, and so totally representative of criticism of gentrification. :facepalm:

Which wasn't the point i was making at all. Another fine example of you chopping up and dissecting peoples posts to suit your own agenda.

I like posts that I like. Feel free to go back and look.

You may do it a different way but you'd do well not to try to tar me with that chilishly simplistic brush.

Then why are you trying to tar others with a similar brush, hmm?

Which wasn't the point i was making at all. Another fine example of you chopping up and dissecting peoples posts to suit your own agenda.

I haven't chopped up and/or dissected your post. Your entire post is quoted.
It is, however, quoted in logical blocks, so that each point you make could be replied to. I do that because it stops people (well, most people who aren't idiots) getting confused as to what I'm replying to.
If that's too bothersome for you, or too taxing, then tough shit.

What are you on about? It was your claim!

You said: "I really do think that quite a few people should start to look at the content of posts and not decide whether they are in agreement basd on who posted it.".
In other words, you're claiming that some posters don't read posts, they like them because of who wrote them.

I asked you if you were too saintly to have done the same.

You then accused me of tarring you with a brush.

To which I replied along the lines of "why are you trying to tar others with a similar brush, then?", referring to your original statement.

So, you originally made a claim, to which I responded, and so on. Simple enough for you?

You said: "I really do think that quite a few people should start to look at the content of posts and not decide whether they are in agreement basd on who posted it.".
In other words, you're claiming that some posters don't read posts, they like them because of who wrote them.

I asked you if you were too saintly to have done the same.

You then accused me of tarring you with a brush.

To which I replied along the lines of "why are you trying to tar others with a similar brush, then?", referring to your original statement.

So, you originally made a claim, to which I responded, and so on. Simple enough for you?
Incorrect again.

I never mentioned likes. Try reading before jumping to conclusions.

The example that made me post, was Dexter making wildly inaccurate claims about teuchter's post and using terms that others have used about other posts of his.

It's all there if you'll look.

Incorrect again.

I never mentioned likes. Try reading before jumping to conclusions.

The example that made me post, was Dexter making wildly inaccurate claims about teuchter's post and using terms that others have used about other posts of his.

It's all there if you'll look.

Where he goes you follow. You are like the Chuckle Brothers without the comedy.
If you are going to mention me at least have the courtesy of tagging my Username.

Where he goes you follow. You are like the Chuckle Brothers without the comedy.
If you are going to mention me at least have the courtesy of tagging my Username.
Apologies for not tagging you. It's not like you'd not see the post!

You're way off the mark with the rest of your post, sorry.

anyone know where I can get blister proof running socks in the Brixton area this late on a Saturday? due to a fuck up, I have none for the Brighton marathon tomorrow!

is there a 24 hour asda with a running aisle?!

anyone know where I can get blister proof running socks in the Brixton area this late on a Saturday? due to a fuck up, I have none for the Brighton marathon tomorrow!

is there a 24 hour asda with a running aisle?!

Nowhere in Brixton tbh. You'd be best trying the Asda at Clapham Junction or the new Utopian Tescos in Streatham. Even then I think you might be lucky...

Failing that, Lillywhites in Piccadilly will deffo have them, and they're open until 10 pm. If you think they are vital to your run, I'd head straight there. It's just 15 minutes to Green Park on the Victoria Line and a 5-minute walk from there.

Good luck tomorrow btw :)

Failing that, Lillywhites in Piccadilly will deffo have them, and they're open until 10 pm. If you think they are vital to your run, I'd head straight there. It's just 15 minutes to Green Park on the Victoria Line and a 5-minute walk from there.

Good luck tomorrow btw :)

thank you so much!

It would be nice to think it isn't this clean cut, but growing up next door to the very well off of Stockwell, it was pretty cleanly cut between the haves and the have nots. They didn't mix with the poorer people.
I can't comment on your childhood in Stockwell, of course, because I wasn't there. But I think I'm reasonably well qualified to comment on the Brixton that I've lived in for some time now.

Of course, I recognise that people tend to mix mostly with others in a similar postion to them and of course this happens in Brixton in spite of the diversity of income and social groups that make it up. But the groupings of haves/have-nots, or old-timers/recent arrivals, or whatever, don't align in any clean cut way with attitudes to Brixton and its other residents or views on gentrification. To write off the whole of a nominal "middle class" as ignorantly prejudiced barbarian occupiers with no regard or concern for those less fortunate than them, no interest in or thought about what's happening in Brixton and how they fit into it...it's just preposterous! Sure there are people moving in who might fit some of that description, but to just lump together a seemingly definable group to create yourself an imaginary and conveniently demonic enemy, well, it's a fiction and a very unhelpful one too because I don't see how alienating those who might be very genuinely interested in trying to reduce the impact of what's going on at the moment is going to get us anywhere.

You make connections with people through shared experience IMO. On the 7.20 thameslink into Blackfriars my shared experience is with other wage-slaves leaving the houses round me to commute. Whereas now, I go to the local mother and baby group and mix with a whole different group of people because we have a shared experience. We can talk about the comedy bum wiggling as they try to crawl, and how to get food out of babygrows.... And then our life paths will diverge again when I go back to work. I don't think not mixing is conscious or universal (there are always horrible, snobby exceptions) it's circumstantial.

These might be the horrible snobby exceptions. I thought there was only a few kids on the posh part of my street - turns out they were all ferried by coach to private school everyday. I met one family at Brownies and they were dreadfully condescending (maybe that was just that family). The local posh people thought my dad was "interesting" because he was an artist and they spoke down to my mum because she worked at the playground. I met some of these people again recently and still had to deal with the same condescending attitude.

Course the icing on the cake, is being told by a posh kid when I was 17 that I wasn't good enough to fit in with them.

These might be the horrible snobby exceptions. I thought there was only a few kids on the posh part of my street - turns out they were all ferried by coach to private school everyday. I met one family at Brownies and they were dreadfully condescending (maybe that was just that family). The local posh people thought my dad was "interesting" because he was an artist and they spoke down to my mum because she worked at the playground. I met some of these people again recently and still had to deal with the same condescending attitude.

Course the icing on the cake, is being told by a posh kid when I was 17 that I wasn't good enough to fit in with them.
That's really rude. There are some shitty people in the world... Sorry you had to deal with that sort of crap

:(

That's really rude. There are some shitty people in the world... Sorry you had to deal with that sort of crap
If you talk to long term bar and club workers around Brixton you'll find the same kind of shitty attitudes are increasingly happening - like the arrogant woman who demanded that the music be turned off halfway through a busy night in the Albert and all the house lights be put on immediately because she couldn't find her fucking precious phone.

Tonight is a bit of a special night at the Albert - I've got two great local acts playing live, an urbanite or two on the decks, and it's also the 10th birthday of the Offline Club and my birthday party. Starts at 10pm , free all night - feel free to pop in!

brixton-dub-collective-april-2014x.gif

http://www.urban75.org/offline/brixton-dub-collective-april-2014.html

Hope you enjoyed your Birthday bash - we had a splendid time! met some young swedish people and I had a really random young woman kiss me in the Ladies. Great fun.

Sounds like a load of laaaads chanting on the Moorlands estate. Been going on for ages but I can't work out what they're shouting about.

If you talk to long term bar and club workers around Brixton you'll find the same kind of shitty attitudes are increasingly happening - like the arrogant woman who demanded that the music be turned off halfway through a busy night in the Albert and all the house lights be put on immediately because she couldn't find her fucking precious phone.

Had she lent it to someone in the garden?

I can't comment on your childhood in Stockwell, of course, because I wasn't there. But I think I'm reasonably well qualified to comment on the Brixton that I've lived in for some time now.

Of course, I recognise that people tend to mix mostly with others in a similar postion to them and of course this happens in Brixton in spite of the diversity of income and social groups that make it up. But the groupings of haves/have-nots, or old-timers/recent arrivals, or whatever, don't align in any clean cut way with attitudes to Brixton and its other residents or views on gentrification. To write off the whole of a nominal "middle class" as ignorantly prejudiced barbarian occupiers with no regard or concern for those less fortunate than them, no interest in or thought about what's happening in Brixton and how they fit into it...it's just preposterous! Sure there are people moving in who might fit some of that description, but to just lump together a seemingly definable group to create yourself an imaginary and conveniently demonic enemy, well, it's a fiction and a very unhelpful one too because I don't see how alienating those who might be very genuinely interested in trying to reduce the impact of what's going on at the moment is going to get us anywhere.

You deliberately misinterpret my posts, perverting them for you own psychologically unhinged purposes. You put so much effort into doing it that's it's kind of creepy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom