Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
That only leaves the Effra Social or The Albert, then.

I'm happy to do either. The dates are the 15th, 22nd or 29th May 2014.

I can do 15th and 22nd. I think... That's so far into the future... Prefer the social especially if we could reserve a room.

I think this summer is the one where it's going to be really, really obvious just how much of the old Brixton has been lost forever and how the demographic has radically shifted 'upwards'.

Walking down Coldharbour Lane just now was like walking through a different town. One that looked very much like Clapham, in fact.

[QUO. TE="editor, post: 13044415, member: 22"]I think this summer is the one where it's going to be really, really obvious just how much of the old Brixton has been lost forever and how the demographic has radically shifted 'upwards'.

Walking down Coldharbour Lane just now was like walking through a different town. One that looked very much like Clapham, in fact.[/QUOTE]
Yawn

I think this summer is the one where it's going to be really, really obvious just how much of the old Brixton has been lost forever and how the demographic has radically shifted 'upwards'.

Walking down Coldharbour Lane just now was like walking through a different town. One that looked very much like Clapham, in fact.

Change is good, the nature of the change is another matter. Upwards you put in quotation marks, rightly so because the change is just about more affluent people moving into an area, changing the area to suit their needs, oblivious to and often denying what was there before them; they don't even see us being forced out, they don't see us at all. They are comfortably wrapped up in their own demographic, not only can't they see us they turn a deliberate deaf ear.

It's all about them, they are setting the narrative and that is where we are going wrong; reacting to that narrative when we have our own.

A legacy of thirty years of Thatcherism and a neo-liberal mindset that has indelibly stained much of our generation but not all of it. The generation coming after us know nothing different, their blueprints are different. They can't be converted, neither should we try to do so.

I think as one that is struggling with the change, being threatened by it via broader economic and political paradigms, that only seem to intensify in their hostility and targeting of the non people, the old timers, the working class, the socially excluded, the barbarians (I see the occupying middle class as the barbarians); i have to fight back even though the war is lost. The war is truly lost on a macro scale, economically and politically; it's gone.

But there are other ways of fighting back, other ways of resisting the worst aspects of social cleansing taking place in Brixton and elsewhere. That's the challenge now for all of us who care about living in a neighbourhood that adds to our quality of life.

Last edited:

Of course, once, Brixton was like Clapham. Mutatis mutandi

Last edited:
It's all about Them and Us. It really is as simple as that. Demonisation is the only sensible response.

I always thought you were a shit stirrer but you are not.
You just spray your shit over everyone.
Your posts are petty, personal and full of impotent poison. Mewling and puking is all you have.

Last edited:
I always thought you were a shit stirrer but you are not.
You just spray your shit over everyone.
Your post are petty, personal and full of impotent poison. Mewling and puking is all you have.
Eh? What a bizarre response.

My post wasn't personal at all but a comment on yours which seemed to make sweeping generalisations and assumptions about a whole group of people, that I feel are simplistic and maybe even a little bit offensive.

I don't see how expressing that deserves what you have written above. I think you should take it back.

I think Dexter Deadwood and teuchter both need to take a step back here. The shit-stirring post is the one that initially only got yawned at (the correct response). It's a shame either of you bit, tbh.

Eh? What a bizarre response.

My post wasn't personal at all but a comment on yours which seemed to make sweeping generalisations and assumptions about a whole group of people, that I feel are simplistic and maybe even a little bit offensive.

I don't see how expressing that deserves what you have written above. I think you should take it back.
I thought you were agreeing with Dexter - i missed the irony!

I thought you were agreeing with Dexter - i missed the irony!
Really? Since when would anyone seriously say that demonisation was a "sensible response"?

It seems that everything has to be laboriously spelled out in entirely literal terms on here.

Can people on this thread allow others to have different opinions, being as we are of different ages, background, experience - our only unifying feature is an interest in Brixton.

If anyone think teuchter is shit stirring, then ignore his comment - best thing to do when anyone is stirring. However, as Onket says, read the post not who posted it.

It would be nice to think it isn't this clean cut, but growing up next door to the very well off of Stockwell, it was pretty cleanly cut between the haves and the have nots. They didn't mix with the poorer people.
a few years ago when my daughter was about 16-17 she said that london had loads and loads of layers and that young people found their layer across london (north south and east - but interestingly not west) but that they didn't mix too much out of their layer - don't know if that's just her or if that's something many young people experience

I wonder about the polarisation
In a gentrification debate - I am a gentrifier - whatever way you slice it I had a middle class upbringing and I work in a professional occupation
I was able to buy property some time ago in east london and then was able to sell that and buy somewhere in south london contributing to the property have/have not divide in tulse hill. If I was to buy again I'd be buying in forest hill/penge/sydenham/crystal palace/anerly cos of the overground - and I would be changing that area by buying in there ....all the while I just want to live my life and house myself etc but my choices have a detrimental impact on people less fortunate than me.

And what Dexter says about incomers - it's not that I don't see people or even willfully ignore them but my professional life takes me out of the house for about on average 13 hours a day 5 days a week (and this weekend I'm inside completing more work) and I have little time to put into a local community
When I lived in east london I knew more people from different parts of the community but I never felt embedded and it took ages to build up the connections I did have and that was only because I worked locally in the community for 15 years.

this post isn't an answer just a liberal hand wringing apology I guess....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom