Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
The prices are too high even for the buy-to-letters now, I would have thought. There has to be a limit to the rent you can charge on a one-bed flat, surely?

You'd have thought that... my lovely landlord has recently decided that he's too old to keep his Brixton properties so notified us he was selling up. We started looking for somewhere else to rent in the immediate area and its clear that that was no longer affordable.

My inverse snobbery came out yesterday, when I saw 'Ben and Sophie' being shown the upper floor 1 bed flat across the road from me.

It's £1800 pcm.

That's close to my entire rent for a 5 bedroomed house, with a garden, a shed, it's own front door.

Bit of a thread derail, but whereabouts in Glasgow is her place Rushy?

Having been up there a fair few times I'm surprised there's much in the way of negative equity.
I'll ask her - I can never remember. She bought in 2007 with a small deposit so seems to have been unlucky. Loads of places on her street have been on for a couple of years and are only just starting to move. My ex's brother has fared much better up there but he bought a flat in the West End and then exchanged that for a large house in an ok suburb.

You'd have thought that... my lovely landlord has recently decided that he's too old to keep his Brixton properties so notified us he was selling up. We started looking for somewhere else to rent in the immediate area and its clear that that was no longer affordable.

My inverse snobbery came out yesterday, when I saw 'Ben and Sophie' being shown the upper floor 1 bed flat across the road from me.

It's £1800 pcm.

That's close to my entire rent for a 5 bedroomed house, with a garden, a shed, it's own front door.
Wow. That's a lot.

What's the asking price for a room in a house share within ten or fifteen minutes walk of brixton tube these days, then?

It's £1800 pcm.

When I bought my flat, a couple of years ago, the estate agent told me what the identical flat downstairs was being rented for (he'd automatically assumed I was a BTL'er...:rolleyes:) and, even at 2011 prices, I couldn't have afforded to rent my own flat. God knows what they're charging for rent these days, but I'm guessing it's gone up a hell of a lot more than my mortgage...:eek:

What's the asking price for a room in a house share within ten or fifteen minutes walk of brixton tube these days, then?

The 2 double + 1 single bedroom house next door to use was rented for £1650 - but cash in hand and it was pretty run down. Same size house a couple of doors away was up for rent last year for over £2k a month

£1200 - 1400 for a one bed lower ground with a bit of a garden is typical for East Dulwich. I stopped looking in Brixton as it was making me depressed.

Then we found a hidden gem and we're staying in the area, but losing a garden. We realised there was no point in living in West / East Dulwich and having to get on a bike every time we wanted to come and visit friends and carry on doing what we do here.

Besides, I've only just worked out who FriendofDorothy and Buscador are in real life, so we can't leave now.

my landlord was charging £650 a month for some of his rooms, though i paid less than that.

I shudder to think what the rooms in the old nu urban towers are going for. Three hundred and something, sparra was paying, bills included. On Kellet Road. I bet there's some for a grand now.

My rent in Kellett Rd when I moved there in 1993 was £240 per month.
Mine was £80pw (346) in 1995 just off Clapham Common, for a huge room and my own bathroom. Probably discounted because Jeremy Clarkson lived on the street. We had to move because the house was sold for £160,000 (there is one for sale on that street for 1,400,000 now).

If you can find a place to live where the landlord will keep any rent increases to a minimum, you will be lucky. Even in the suburbs, we are at risk of being priced out.

£1200 - 1400 for a one bed lower ground with a bit of a garden is typical for East Dulwich. I stopped looking in Brixton as it was making me depressed.

Then we found a hidden gem and we're staying in the area, but losing a garden. We realised there was no point in living in West / East Dulwich and having to get on a bike every time we wanted to come and visit friends and carry on doing what we do here.

Besides, I've only just worked out who FriendofDorothy and Buscador are in real life, so we can't leave now.

See you down the pub again soon.

Well, since you ask....

I'm not sure the Elm Park Tavern on a Thursday is the best option if there's a quiz on that's going to be heaving.

Do we change the day or the venue? It's a tough one but I reckon we keep the day & move to another pub.

What do people think?

Well, since you ask....

I'm not sure the Elm Park Tavern on a Thursday is the best option if there's a quiz on that's going to be heaving.

Do we change the day or the venue? It's a tough one but I reckon we keep the day & move to another pub.

What do people think?

I agree with you. Thursday is a good day for drinks. Maybe the Trinity or Effra Social?

People need to live somewhere. I think what we are going to see more of is overcrowding.

Agreed. Nothing makes me think that housebuilding will keep up with population growth, let alone exceed it, as needs to be the case in the short run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom