Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend got this through the door of her council flat.

View attachment 51343

#scum

And where in London would £50,000 be enough for a deposit on a comparable sized home? you would need a new colosal sized morgage to buy again. It wouldn't leave you with much change for buying luxuries if you did. If you wanted to pocket the profit you would have to pay private rent forever after, so how long would it last then? Is this from some private loan company wanting to profit from your friend buying in some way?

And where in London would £50,000 be enough for a deposit on a comparable sized home? you would need a new colosal sized morgage to buy again. It wouldn't leave you with much change for buying luxuries if you did. If you wanted to pocket the profit you would have to pay private rent forever after, so how long would it last then? Is this from some private loan company wanting to profit from your friend buying in some way?
I've also heard of a cash payment and the resident stays in the property as a tenant.

I've been fairly neutral about this gentrification lark until today. Walking past the (recently gentrified) pub in my road, the road I've live in for 10 years and walked down for 20 odd - I was verbally abused!! Some bearded 20 something in Harry Potter glasses and a baseball hat (all factors ok individually but in combination .....) called after me as I was almost out of earshot ' get back to where you came from strange lady'. Now I am heading rapidly towards 50 and obviously don't hit the current demographic of the pub but I walk my daughter past that pub every day on the way to school and back. I will be here when he's headed back to the shires or Shoreditch or from whence he came. The bloody cheek of it. :mad::mad::eek:

I've been fairly neutral about this gentrification lark until today. Walking past the (recently gentrified) pub in my road, the road I've live in for 10 years and walked down for 20 odd - I was verbally abused!! Some bearded 20 something in Harry Potter glasses and a baseball hat (all factors ok individually but in combination .....) called after me as I was almost out of earshot ' get back to where you came from strange lady'. Now I am heading rapidly towards 50 and obviously don't hit the current demographic of the pub but I walk my daughter past that pub every day on the way to school and back. I will be here when he's headed back to the shires or Shoreditch or from whence he came. The bloody cheek of it. :mad::mad::eek:
Forgot to mention I was wheeling my flowery shopping trolley but ......

I agree about the Harry Potty look - the bloody cheek. Are you strange? I do hope so. London is full of all sorts of strange - that is the attraction! Lots of us came to London to get away from his small town minded attitude - you can get shouted at where I grew up for wearing a loud jumper.
Hope you shouted back.

It must be nearly spring - woman wearing a bikini top walking down Brixton Road today.
Saw same woman last year in a bikini, just a bikini at 7am ish - thats how I knew it must be summer.
No body seemed to be paying too much attention - perhaps she needs a trolley if she really wants to get noticed.

You should get on to the manager and if he doesn't do anything complain to the licensing authority about badly behaved clientele there. And if that bears no fruit, I'll bring my wife's flowery shopping trolley and wear my most decrepit jumper and join you round there for a drink...and hope several others here do the same.

I've been fairly neutral about this gentrification lark until today. Walking past the (recently gentrified) pub in my road, the road I've live in for 10 years and walked down for 20 odd - I was verbally abused!! Some bearded 20 something in Harry Potter glasses and a baseball hat (all factors ok individually but in combination .....) called after me as I was almost out of earshot' get back to where you came from strange lady' Now I am heading rapidly towards 50 and obviously don't hit the current demographic of the pub but I walk my daughter past that pub every day on the way to school and back. I will be here when he's headed back to the shires or Shoreditch or from whence he came. The bloody cheek of it. :mad::mad::eek:

Say it in a Nathan Barley voice........maybe "get back to where you came from strange lady' is a form of ironic compliment in hipsterese

You should get on to the manager and if he doesn't do anything complain to the licensing authority about badly behaved clientele there. And if that bears no fruit, I'll bring my wife's flowery shopping trolley and wear my most decrepit jumper and join you round there for a drink...and hope several others here do the same.
Say it in a Nathan Barley voice........maybe "get back to where you came from strange lady' is a form of ironic compliment in hipsterese

Thanks you both made me laugh a lot. I was a bit offended initially but ended up tittering to myself by the end of the road so maybe it was a self fulfilling prophecy.

I like the idea of an urban trolley meet up ??

I agree about the Harry Potty look - the bloody cheek. Are you strange? I do hope so. London is full of all sorts of strange - that is the attraction! Lots of us came to London to get away from his small town minded attitude - you can get shouted at where I grew up for wearing a loud jumper.
Hope you shouted back.
I agree, strange just means different to some and it would be so boring if everyone was the same. I think that's what pissed me off. Different should be good and not odd but maybe odd is good as well. Insulting someone because they don't fit your very tight demographic of cool is strange IMO.

Ruddy hell, that turned out to be a record breaking day for Brixton Buzz with the 'East Clapham' article attracting over 33,000 page views alone, sparking a very lively debate that's still going in on the comments section!

Even the Standard liked us and we got mentioned in other mainstream news sites too.

It must be nearly spring - woman wearing a bikini top walking down Brixton Road today.
Saw same woman last year in a bikini, just a bikini at 7am ish - thats how I knew it must be summer.
No body seemed to be paying too much attention - perhaps she needs a trolley if she really wants to get noticed.
If it's who I think it is she has mental health issues.

What a twat.

Shall I stand for counsellor in Ferndale ward? I can't decide if standing as an independent is a lost cause.

Ultimately it's your call. Independents don't often win. The ones who do campaign their arse off and have to have a good sell to get people to vote for them. It's doubly hard because people who always vote are likely to be voting for one of the main parties. So you have to get some of them to change their mind, but also get people who probably wouldn't normally vote to come and vote for you. And it will cost you money in terms of leaflets through the door, and time in terms of both delivering leaflets and knocking on doors and actually talking to people. You probably won't be able to cover the whole ward alone, so do you have people who would be willing to help out?

If you can do the above and reckon you've got a unique selling point, go for it :) You'll need 10 people to nominate you, and it's worth bearing in mind that you actually need to be on the electoral roll to stand I think. Bit more info here:

http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/elections-and-council/councillors/become-a-councillor

Last edited:
"Brixton Brixton" graffiti on side of Clifton Mansions is disappearing fast:

August 2013:
brixton.jpg

March 2014:
hiding.jpg

Just think, once the thingy next door is built, it might be hundreds of years before anyone ever sets eyes on that again!

"Please turn around"
Except for the unsightly build and the types who would move in, the turn around would have me sold. A pad opposite The Albert would mean not far to stagger after a heavy Friday night!

Ultimately it's your call. Independents don't often win. The ones who do campaign their arse off and have to have a good sell to get people to vote for them. It's doubly hard because people who always vote are likely to be voting for one of the main parties. So you have to get some of them to change their mind, but also get people who probably wouldn't normally vote to come and vote for you. And it will cost you money in terms of leaflets through the door, and time in terms of both delivering leaflets and knocking on doors and actually talking to people. You probably won't be able to cover the whole ward alone, so do you have people who would be willing to help out?

If you can do the above and reckon you've got a unique selling point, go for it :) You'll need 10 people to nominate you, and it's worth bearing in mind that you actually need to be on the electoral roll to stand I think. Bit more info here:

http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/elections-and-council/councillors/become-a-councillor
TUSC are actively looking for peole to stand at the moment and they should help with the issues you mention.

www.tusc.org.uk

http://www.tusc.org.uk/16952/27-03-2014/tusc-election-challenge-reaches-349-candidates-and-counting

what boozer was this?

"Brixton Brixton" graffiti on side of Clifton Mansions is disappearing fast:

August 2013:
brixton.jpg

March 2014:
hiding.jpg

Just think, once the thingy next door is built, it might be hundreds of years before anyone ever sets eyes on that again!

House of Bottles is considering legal action as it's going to ruin how sunny it is out front on a Saturday morning with its shadow. Well, that's what I was told when I pointed it out while sunning myself Saturday lunchtime ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom