Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever eaten in the Gresham Cafe opposite the Barrier Block? There's something that puts me off about that place so I've never visited it.

I like the all day feb at lounge but it's not very big and costs 8 quid. Quality is good, service is quick and staff are friendly.

SEM is yer man if you're after the full greasy spoon experience, with a bit of native American thrown in.

sem-cafe-loughborough-junction-06.jpg

http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2014/02/lunch-at-the-sem-cafe-padfield-rd-near-loughborough-junction/

Has anyone ever eaten in the Gresham Cafe opposite the Barrier Block? There's something that puts me off about that place so I've never visited it.

George who runs it is the nephew of George the barber a couple of doors down. They are both excellent guys.

He's also my former landlord, I lived upstairs from the cafe. The food is what you'd expect, just greasy spoon fare. Huge portions though. George is also very chatty which some people like and some don't i guess. Bit of a geezer. But in a good way.

He's sound, don't worry. It's a tough patch he's got there but he keeps his business out of trouble. He and Larry Lawrence used to police that block.

Orang Utan BoxRoom
I have been in on quieter days to have something small like a bacon sarnie and a cuppa and felt a bit uncomfortable. Dunno why. Not felt that anywhere else. If it was on a busy day I could understand they might not want a single person taking up space with a small order...

Semas on Tulse Hill, just up from the Hootanany, is the best place around these days, I reckon. Bit of a walk from central Brixton though.

I do like the Express Cafe, was in there today as it goes.

Duck Egg is awful.

New Phoenix is awful.

If anyone is prepared to make the trip, Café Castello in Tulse Hill do a marvellous FEB. If the E stands for Egg that is. Otherwise it is a FPB with all the ingredients you would expect in a FEB

I think an FEB is a Full English Breakfast.

Using an ugly abbreviation like that is just the sort of thing that Orang Utan would do. Yuk.

Full English Breakfast. Opinions vary on content, most of it WRONG. It's not a vegetarian dish as it has bacon, sausage and possibly black pudding in it. And, yes, egg is ESSENTIAL. Fried with a runny yolk. If they can't get the egg right, they shouldn't bother at all

This thread has made me hungry. I'm off to eat a Full English Breakfast right now. In Deptford though, so no review later.

Full English Breakfast. Opinions vary on content, most of it WRONG. It's not a vegetarian dish as it has bacon, sausage and possibly black pudding in it. And, yes, egg is ESSENTIAL. Fried with a runny yolk. If they can't get the egg right, they shouldn't bother at all
What are the minimum components necessary to qualify as a Full English Breakfast?

What are the minimum components necessary to qualify as a Full English Breakfast?
Sausage, bacon, egg, beans, mushrooms, tomatos, toast or fried bread.
TEA

Anything less is not Full. It is merely a breakfast.

No way. Chips are not a breakfast item.

Beans are also unnecessary as they taint the rest of the dish but I accept that this is a controversial opinion

Tomato is also superfluous
I agree with you on chips but beans are what make an English breakfast English.

Fried tomato but not tinned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom