Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumour and general chat - April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let this settle the argument, once and for all.

The Full English Breakfast
Known colloquially as a fry up, the traditional English breakfast is called a full breakfast for good reason, although you do not absolutely have to eat two sausages, three slices of bacon and two fried eggs in order for it to still be traditional.

But whichever way you look at it, he full English breakfast is a substantial meal consisting of back bacon, eggs, British sausage, beans, tomato, mushrooms, black pudding and toast. These ingredients may vary depending on the specific region of the British isles you happen to be in and a subject that is still open to (sometimes quite fierce) debate.

For example, the Southern English generally would argue that black pudding is something that the English breakfast inherited from the Scottish, but in the North of the country, black pudding is widely consumed and viewed as an essential part of the traditional full breakfast. We side with the Northerners here, there is nothing wrong with black pudding and it has been produced in the North of England for longer than we have been eating traditional English breakfasts.

Hash browns however is a controversial ingredient that many believe does not belong in a traditional English breakfast and we agree, hash browns are for Americans and if we want potato in our breakfast, we will have chips (quite common).

Then there exist the regional variants like the Scottish/Irish full breakfast, usually exactly the same dish, but with slight changes in the ingredients depending on the region and preference of the locals.

The full Irish breakfast usually contains Irish bacon and sausage, but also traditional regional ingredients such as white pudding, Irish soda bread and Irish potato cake, whereas the full Scottish breakfast usually contains local ingredients as black pudding or a slice of haggis.

http://englishbreakfastsociety.com/full-english-breakfast.html

I agree with you on chips but beans are what make an English breakfast English.
I quite like them but they should serve them in a separate bowl. Only once has this happened. I think it was the Duck's Egg. I applaud them for it.

deVilliers-Patrice_EggBeansEurostar.jpeg

While we're on it, why does the toast come on a separate plate? At home, the egg goes on the toast. At a cafe, I have to lift the egg onto the toast. It frustrates me.

While we're on it, why does the toast come on a separate plate? At home, the egg goes on the toast. At a cafe, I have to lift the egg onto the toast. It frustrates me.
I enjoy the lift as part of the 'experience'.

Using a sausage as a breakwater iirc.

Black pudding is essential imo and agreed that potato products have no place to be included in a full English.

Sam's cafe on Acre Lane has opened again. It's now on the Lidl side in between the bus stop and that Opus coffee place.

I always use to pop in there for 2x egg n bacon rolls on my cycle to work.

They got displaced a few years ago when the pub/builder yard (was it?) got demolished/redeveloped and is now some flats with a Waitrose underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom