Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

Some of the new Railton LTN street furniture. The camera is now up on the Shakespeare filter.

Herne Hill is a bit chaotic due to the bridge works (after someone crashed into it last week).

The planter is by Hamilton’s 05EDC897-74EA-459C-9BE6-697916C0FF7B.jpeg67D0BFE4-8655-4DA1-9204-845F6A2CD054.jpeg0CDD1308-AF5F-4745-B167-306E6F07120E.jpeg

Also the pedestrianised bit by the station is busier than pre covid now even during the day. Mixed communities not the usual Florence clientele.

I’m assuming some people WFH shopping and eating locally more.

Everything I've read and heard about LTN's (from officers and Cllrs as well LBL online info) indicate to me that this is exactly what is happening. They are a temporary measure put in place due to the need for quick action, they will be consulted on 'in real time', changes will be made according to feedback during the course of the 18 month trial and if, at the end of the 'experiment' the data shows that things have not worked then they will not become permanent. Now is the chance for people to have a say

I find what the Council say ambiguous :
There is an urgent need to rapidly alter London’s streets to serve unprecedented demand for walking and cycling at a time when public transport capacity is very limited. The Government have made £250 million available for swift, emergency interventions to make cycling and walking safer. The Mayor of London is working with boroughs on three keys areas, one of which is reducing traffic on residential streets to create low traffic neighbourhoods.

Normally we would engage extensively with stakeholders before acting but this isn't possible if we are to act quickly. We know that the temporary scheme won't get everything right. This website allows us to receive your feedback on what is working and what isn't. We can use this feedback to help us develop plans to create a more permanent low traffic neighbourhood in the Railton area.

Way I read this is Council saying they have not consulted. The temporary scheme is in. Comments wiill feed into a permanent scheme.

So imo the Council should make clear local communities will have option to reject an LTN.

This ambiguity feeds into opposition to these LTNs.

Agree, that Lambeth did not/are not consulting before putting in the temporary schemes - there has not been time to do this - as we know consultations can take years...
I guess the way I read 'a more permanent LTN' is different. Some measures might actually work in reducing traffic without major knock on effects and these could be kept. What I find sad is this outright rejection of something which could improve residents lives - not even wanting to try something different for the sake of the future generations.
But I also agree that the way the 'PR' has been handled by Lambeth is terrible and has not helped the situation. But hey, after 25 years in the borough, I've sort of come to expect this.

Overall this is just YET another chance for Lambeth Council to raise money by fining motorists.

We need A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD HERE.

Cyclists should have to pay towards costs of Cycle Lanes - and I don't wanna here grit about WE ALL PAY ALREADY!

Giving priority to one group is an outrage.

It's quite clear the division this ill considerered scheme has caused & the affect on local businesses is devastating.

It's interesting to read cyclist now saying ELECTRIC VEHICLES are even more dangerous as they can't be heard!

BTW what about the large of electrically assisted bikes¿

The myriad of cyclists who regularly ride on walkways, jump traffic light, exceed the speed limit should be prosecuted

CEO's have the power to issue Fixed Penalties but continue only to harass motorists.

When fast food deliveries vastly increase their costs maybe these selfish morons will think again.

The Ferdale LTN has been introduced with scant consultation using false arguments & without the necessary legal requirements.

To get to the Post Office by car, only 100 yards or so, I would now have to travel via Clapham or go through Stockwell Road & Up Brixton Road & then down again!

We need to rid ourselves of the likes of Joshua Lindsey & his cohorts.

It's obscene there are THREE COUNCILLORS for Ferndale alone.

WE MUST FORCE LAMBETH TO LISTEN TO US & not to the ridiculous bunch of self-appointed dictators claiming to represent US!

They don't.

Ýūk!

Overall this is just YET another chance for Lambeth Council to raise money by fining motorists.

We need A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD HERE.

Cyclists should have to pay towards costs of Cycle Lanes - and I don't wanna here grit about WE ALL PAY ALREADY!

Giving priority to one group is an outrage.

It's quite clear the division this ill considerered scheme has caused & the affect on local businesses is devastating.

It's interesting to read cyclist now saying ELECTRIC VEHICLES are even more dangerous as they can't be heard!

BTW what about the large of electrically assisted bikes¿

The myriad of cyclists who regularly ride on walkways, jump traffic light, exceed the speed limit should be prosecuted

CEO's have the power to issue Fixed Penalties but continue only to harass motorists.

When fast food deliveries vastly increase their costs maybe these selfish morons will think again.

The Ferdale LTN has been introduced with scant consultation using false arguments & without the necessary legal requirements.

To get to the Post Office by car, only 100 yards or so, I would now have to travel via Clapham or go through Stockwell Road & Up Brixton Road & then down again!

We need to rid ourselves of the likes of Joshua Lindsey & his cohorts.

It's obscene there are THREE COUNCILLORS for Ferndale alone.

WE MUST FORCE LAMBETH TO LISTEN TO US & not to the ridiculous bunch of self-appointed dictators claiming to represent US!

They don't.

Ýūk!

"To get to the Post Office by car, only 100 yards or so." Priceless. Leaving that aside, I thought it was a very balanced, nuanced post, though.

Unfortunately I am severely disabled & unable to walk.

Presumably you reckon I should just have to stay indoors.

You are SO typical of the ignorant, selfish, dictatorial twats polluting Brixton.

Ůģh!
Think it’s you making assumptions about me, not the other way round. How am I supposed to know you are disabled if you don’t mention it in your rant.

"To get to the Post Office by car, only 100 yards or so." Priceless. Leaving that aside, I thought it was a very balanced, nuanced post, though.
Øh Nice Dearié.

You're just YET ANOTHER ignoramus who doesn't give s damn for others but who just wants to use these forums to spout bile & slag people off WITHOUT any thought whatsoever.

I happen to be unable to walk.

You are a piece of garbage.

Ůgh!
Think it’s you making assumptions about me, not the other way round. How am I supposed to know you are disabled if you don’t mention it in your rant.
'Cos you're a presumptuous twat.

Øh Nice Dearié.

You're just YET ANOTHER ignoramus who doesn't give s damn for others but who just wants to use these forums to spout bile & slag people off WITHOUT any thought whatsoever.

I happen to be unable to walk.

You are a piece of garbage.

Ůgh!
'Cos you're a presumptuous twat.
Fuck off troll

And the only possible way for you to move 100 yards is in a car?
Erm...

YES.

You really can't be that thick can yoú¿

And that's the reaśon I have a Motability vehicĺe.

No doubt you would stőp that tôò.

What are your medical qualifications BTW¿

ÝÙĶ!

Erm...

YES.

You really can't be that thick can yoú¿

And that's the reaśon I have a Motability vehicĺe.

No doubt you would stőp that tôò.

What are your medical qualifications BTW¿

ÝÙĶ!
What kind of mobility vehicle? Instead of hurling out random insults, why not take the time to explain your situation properly? That way you won't come over as belligerent prick.

Comment on Buzz:

I was assaulted & pushed into the traffic outside Lambeth Town Hall today by two of the anti road closures demonstrators. My crime was to give them a thumbs gown & shout “I want to breathe cleaner air!” In their direction while standing on the opposite side of the pavement… This was witnessed by all present & none of them lifted a finger to restrain their comrades who fled the scene.
Poor turnout as it turns out. There can’t have been more than a couple of dozen of them.

Is there a maximum size of shop you can visit then? It must be nearly 100 yards from the disabled parking spaces to the back of Tesco and presumably places like shopping malls are out of the question - somewhere like Westfield must be 500m from end to end?

Back
Top Bottom