Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

I think the hopton road problem will be fixed. There was originally planned to be a filter there but the council didn't put it in, although they did do the traffic orders, so it's ready to go. I'm not sure why they are waiting TBH.
I also wondered about the Brits relationships with cars, being their own personal space. BlaBla car, a car sharing app is huge in Europe, but has never taken off in the UK. I often wonder why.
If they block off Hopton Road it will be a nightmare. It will mean even more people congregating on the corner and more anti social behaviour. It’s already unsafe, and cars going down there at night make it slightly less desolate at night.

Roads were hell again this morning. It’s having a huge knock on effect as well on Greyhound Lane and Norbury and loads more rat running.

Better public transport is always a good thing of course. If we're talking about zone 3/4 london though, complaining that the existing public transport is so bad that you need a car is mostly nonsense. Someone can point out that some cross-town journey that takes the 45 minutes in their car takes an hour by public transport. Well, in most cases you can't magically change that. Yes, you can potentially get there faster in your car but it's at everyone else's expense. The main thing that slows buses down is congestion - created by private motorists. Improving public transport means getting cars off the road and making the alternatives less attractive or convenient. You can't have your cake & eat it.
It’s absolutely not a nonsense. One journey I know of from streatham to a part of Bromley is 25 minutes in the car and 1 hour 15 minutes on public transport.

The problem is with LTNs is they aren’t getting cars off the road. There are just massive traffic jams.

Monitoring reports regularly report that any increase in traffic outside the LTN is lower than the decrease inside.
I think it’s hard to tell. Traffic often gets displaced quite a distance.

I guess the only way we will know for sure is overall car journeys in London. It went up in 2021 and 2022 but is still only at 2016 levels after big Covid drop in 2019.

I think LTNs just aren’t radical enough and in some cases cause more harm (such as my bus journeys lol). As said before I’m not for or against and think previous ones in Lambeth seemed to work ok. This one however has big problems. Who knows it might iron out but isn’t so far.

I guess the only way we will know for sure is overall car journeys in London. It went up in 2021 and 2022 but is still only at 2016 levels after big Covid drop in 2019.
I believe the numbers are normalised for this change. And I don't think the overall change in car journeys across London can tell us anything. Some boroughs are working hard to increase traffic, eg Barnet council is offering free parking every weekend in December.

I think it’s hard to tell. Traffic often gets displaced quite a distance.
People moan and gripe about having to go five minutes around the block before they reach their destination, but they're also detouring miles away but keeping it secret?

I believe the numbers are normalised for this change. And I don't think the overall change in car journeys across London can tell us anything. Some boroughs are working hard to increase traffic, eg Barnet council is offering free parking every weekend in December.

People moan and gripe about having to go five minutes around the block before they reach their destination, but they're also detouring miles away but keeping it secret?

I suspect it’s not about five minute extra journeys but commuters. As the traffic problems are only there during rush hours. And that displacement can go much further away.

The fact is that there are now hugely more traffic jams that are also affecting buses. If that doesn’t go away it’s a problem.

If they block off Hopton Road it will be a nightmare. It will mean even more people congregating on the corner and more anti social behaviour. It’s already unsafe, and cars going down there at night make it slightly less desolate at night.

Roads were hell again this morning. It’s having a huge knock on effect as well on Greyhound Lane and Norbury and loads more rat running.
I don't buy this 'cars make pedestrians more safe' view sorry. Going on muggings/attacks on me and my friends the only people who helped were pedestrians/cyclists, not car drivers. They simply don't see what's going on from their cars as they drive past.
Hopton never used to have much traffic anyway before the LTN, as it already has its own mini LTN/one way system. Traffic has only increased due the driver's trying to shortcut and doing u turns into the Tesco car park

I don't buy this 'cars make pedestrians more safe' view sorry. Going on muggings/attacks on me and my friends the only people who helped were pedestrians/cyclists, not car drivers. They simply don't see what's going on from their cars as they drive past.
Hopton never used to have much traffic anyway before the LTN, as it already has its own mini LTN/one way system. Traffic has only increased due the driver's trying to shortcut and doing u turns into the Tesco car park

Yes the traffic is entirely due to that. Stopping it will just add to the horrendous jams on the main roads though. Although it probably has to be done as there is a school there and it’s not on.

I don’t agree about desolate streets with no cars being less safe. But I really hope they don’t entirely block it off with planters (as was planned), as it will be grim with the anti social behaviour that will come with it.

Car sharing apps are used primarily for longer intercity journeys though arent they? Sort of a modern day form of hitchhiking.

In a fantasy land I’d like to see trams connecting Brixton and Croydon up the A23. More trams everywhere across South London.

Or a Victoria line extension but that’s even more unlikely.
Yes although I've used them for 1 hour trips (admittedly town to town). Maybe it doesn't work coming from the suburbs into city centre. But still don't know why it's not more popular in the UK

Yes the traffic is entirely due to that. Stopping it will just add to the horrendous jams on the main roads though. Although it probably has to be done as there is a school there and it’s not on.

I don’t agree about desolate streets with no cars being less safe. But I really hope they don’t entirely block it off with planters (as was planned), as it will be grim with the anti social behaviour that will come with it.
I suspect the council identified it as a short cut bit but held off putting in the restriction to see if drivers really would use it. Clearly they are.
I'm not sure how a planter will encourage ASB?.o mean you can hang around there with a few cans already if you want to? And most of the drug dealing I see goes on on Russell's footpath/steps to station

From Streatham common to a Br2 post code. Put it in google maps. It’s currently saying 38 minutes in the car and 1 hour 22 minutes by public transport. But you can do it by car in 30 minutes quite often.
Where in BR2? BR2 is a massive postcode that goes way beyond the edge of zone 4.
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 17.43.39.jpg

I suspect the council identified it as a short cut bit but held off putting in the restriction to see if drivers really would use it. Clearly they are.
I'm not sure how a planter will encourage ASB?.o mean you can hang around there with a few cans already if you want to? And most of the drug dealing I see goes on on Russell's footpath/steps to station

It’s not the planter as such it’s it being turned in to a “pocket park”, which was the plan. There is a late night booze shop and fast food joints, and drug dealing. I would be very surprised if it didn’t become more grim than now. People hand round there a bit now but if it was blocked off I think it would get much worse.

Where in BR2? BR2 is a massive postcode that goes way beyond the edge of zone 4.
View attachment 403129

Funnily enough im there now. BR2 7ET (this isn’t the actual post code as don’t wanna put it on here but near by). Public transport 1 hour 10/15 minutes. Car journey outside of a rush hour, 25 minutes.

It just wouldn’t be feasible after work/school to do it by public transport and get back again.

Funnily enough im there now. BR2 7ET (this isn’t the actual post code as don’t wanna put it on here but near by). Public transport 1 hour 10/15 minutes. Car journey outside of a rush hour, 25 minutes.

It just wouldn’t be feasible after work/school to do it by public transport and get back again.

Ok, but this is a location in zone 5, virtually on the very edge of London. What I said was that the idea that public transport in London zone 3/4 is so bad that you have to have a car is largely nonsense. If you want to live in zone 3 and make regular journeys out to the very edge of town, outside of peak hours then yes a car is going to make your life easier.

In any case, the comparison isn't quite as you originally stated it, 25 minutes vs 1:15. That seems to be best case scenario by car vs worst case scenario by PT. Do it the other way round and it's more like 45 minutes vs an hour.

Ok, but this is a location in zone 5, virtually on the very edge of London. What I said was that the idea that public transport in London zone 3/4 is so bad that you have to have a car is largely nonsense. If you want to live in zone 3 and make regular journeys out to the very edge of town, outside of peak hours then yes a car is going to make your life easier.

In any case, the comparison isn't quite as you originally stated it, 25 minutes vs 1:15. That seems to be best case scenario by car vs worst case scenario by PT. Do it the other way round and it's more like 45 minutes vs an hour.

Is going from streatham to Bromley or the equivalent in other parts of London unusual? I wouldn’t have thought so. All I’m saying is that public transport is often quite poor around the edges of London. It shouldn’t take an hour and 15 minutes to go from Streatham to somewhere in Bromley.

It’s very unlikely you can do it in an hour on public transport. An hour and 10 minutes is probably the quickest. Yet it’s now showing as 27 minutes in the car. I’m honestly not saying this to be picky. I, like a lot of people, have family and friends in other outer London boroughs and public transport is often rubbish for that. And it doesn’t have to be.

On a different note I got a leaflet about the LTN and the campaign against it and talking about “equality and fairness” and saying it’s non political. My suspicion is that it’s right wingers, who dominate opposition to LTNs for reasons I totally disagree with.

Also while I am very annoyed my commutes have gone up by 30-45 minutes each way (even now it’s got better), and it does affect me family life in a fairly significant way, I’ve got better things to protest about. Such as the awful carpet bombing of Gaza.

I dunno I feel in two minds, but guess it’s just made stress in my life even more stressful :(

It’s not the planter as such it’s it being turned in to a “pocket park”, which was the plan. There is a late night booze shop and fast food joints, and drug dealing. I would be very surprised if it didn’t become more grim than now. People hand round there a bit now but if it was blocked off I think it would get much worse.
Maybe a planter would be better then? If you have detailed local knowledge you could email Lambeth to suggest that a parklet wouldn't be a good idea? I think that one was proposed for Sunnyhill by the pub but they listened to local residents and decided against it.

The problem is with LTNs is they aren’t getting cars off the road. There are just massive traffic jams.
Yes indeed, the problem isn’t the LTNs, it’s the cars/drivers. :thumbs:
Is going from streatham to Bromley or the equivalent in other parts of London unusual? I wouldn’t have thought so. All I’m saying is that public transport is often quite poor around the edges of London. It shouldn’t take an hour and 15 minutes to go from Streatham to somewhere in Bromley.

It’s very unlikely you can do it in an hour on public transport. An hour and 10 minutes is probably the quickest. Yet it’s now showing as 27 minutes in the car. I’m honestly not saying this to be picky. I, like a lot of people, have family and friends in other outer London boroughs and public transport is often rubbish for that. And it doesn’t have to be.

There are definitely journeys like that but the question is how often does a person have to do them? Usually most people can and do pick regular leisure activities that are easy to get to from home. Between my kids and I we do 4 separate dance classes, musical theatre and drama groups, swimming and capoeira. All are accessible by bus and cycling and the longest any take are just over half an hour. It’s certainly possible to do in London if you factor in not driving.

A couple of years ago we did have a journey like the one you describe because my eldest was performing in Bromley, and this year a similar situation involving Deptford. For those particular weekends we used a combination of the car (we have one but rarely use it, and if we didn’t we would have used Zipcar), lift sharing and Ubers. Couldn’t have parked at the Deptford site anyway. 🤷‍♀️

Regarding public transport, I think the little public minibuses you get in low and middle income countries (which take you broadly where you want to go in a logical order) are great, and I wish we had them here!

Regarding public transport, I think the little public minibuses you get in low and middle income countries (which take you broadly where you want to go in a logical order) are great, and I wish we had them here!
There is a little minibus that zooms around in the morning on weekdays, usually empty. It drives at high speed through the LTN filters. It has a Lambeth badge.

Some sort of on demand service connected to the schools maybe?

I guess when you're council owned there's no danger in getting a fine. :D

On the topic of journeys not well served by public transport, try getting anywhere in the UK outside of London that isn't walking distance from a train station.

Many of us have family members and friends outside of London who we like to visit

But it's not a problem if it's outside peak times. The congestion problem is only a peak time thing so maybe some targeted measures to reduce car use during peak times?

School streets is a good one although people tend to just park a bit further away. Taking away free parking is good.

Eventually we need something like surge pricing where anyone who gets in a car at weekday peak times has to pay a fee, just like public transport costs more. Car use is far cheaper than it should be really.

On the topic of journeys not well served by public transport, try getting anywhere in the UK outside of London that isn't walking distance from a train station.

Many of us have family members and friends outside of London who we like to visit
But again, how often would these journeys be taken? Maybe regularly if there are care responsibilities but that won’t be the case for many people. A car journey once every few months is very different from daily use, and the less often you drive, surely the less inconvenience you get from a LTN?

:(

The fact that something is quicker in the car, at a quiet time of day, does not necessarily mean that the public transport option is "poor".

It's an 8 mile journey. It's about the same distance as Covent Garden is from Streatham Common, and it's going to be going on for an hour to get there by public transport too. Most people who live in London will recognise the phenomenon that if you want to go anywhere outside of your local area, it somehow always seems to take "about an hour".

If I'm looking at a journey to judge how good public transport provision is, then the things I look at are things like journey frequency and whether there are multiple routes so that if one connection fails you aren't stuck. For the journey you describe, even if I wanted to travel just now, at 11pm there are options about every ten minutes, taking between 56 and 75 minutes, using a number of alternative routes. Mostly you just have to make one change. After about half past midnight it looks like you have an option every half hour or so and this carries on throughout the night. This is not actually too bad. It's not "rubbish".

Could this be improved? Probably, but I don't see that there are things that you could do that would dramatically shrink the journey time. When you are dealing with travel across a big city, some journeys are just going to take what they take. There will be some point to point journeys that are very fast relative to the distance, because they happen to have their start and end points near (for example) a relatively fast rail line with direct services. And there will be some that are slower. When you average out all these journey times, you might find that they can start to be quite similar to driving times or better.

It's not valid to look at the journey time by private car and then deem the public transport infeasible or unreasonable if it takes longer. Of course many journeys (given a clear road) are going to be quicker by car because the journey can be totally optimised for the benefit of the car's passengers and no-one else (not just in terms of time but pollution and safety as well). And that's why people like their cars. But this only works when a relatively small proportion of travellers are using that method. As soon as you try and scale it up it doesn't work, as we see in rush hour congestion. In that rush hour scenario the small proportion trying to do it by car are messing it up for everyone else.

Anyway, my point is looking at this from the angle of a response when someone living in zone 3/4 London tells me they simply have to have a car because public transport is so poor. It's (in most cases) nonsense. Public transport is pretty good. It's not as good as it is in central London, but it's nowhere near bad enough to argue that relying on public transport is some kind of great hardship or unreasonable ask. After all it's what millions of Londoners do every day - get by without a car, while having to listen to those car drivers who are slowing down their bus services complain about how awful it would be if they had to spend 1hr getting to their friend's house instead of 40 minutes.

And the context of this is the argument you hear so often, that well I'm not against LTNs but you know we really have to do other stuff first like making the public transport better. That might hold up in some places, places where there really aren't viable alternatives so you can't expect any significant transfer to other transport modes as a result of making the car option less convenient. But for the most part zone 3&4 London really isn't one of those places.

Please note that in all this I am not arguing to ban anyone from having a car. I am making the argument that it is reasonable to take measures that will inconvenience some car drivers on some journeys.

The fact that something is quicker in the car, at a quiet time of day, does not necessarily mean that the public transport option is "poor".

It's an 8 mile journey. It's about the same distance as Covent Garden is from Streatham Common, and it's going to be going on for an hour to get there by public transport too. Most people who live in London will recognise the phenomenon that if you want to go anywhere outside of your local area, it somehow always seems to take "about an hour".

If I'm looking at a journey to judge how good public transport provision is, then the things I look at are things like journey frequency and whether there are multiple routes so that if one connection fails you aren't stuck. For the journey you describe, even if I wanted to travel just now, at 11pm there are options about every ten minutes, taking between 56 and 75 minutes, using a number of alternative routes. Mostly you just have to make one change. After about half past midnight it looks like you have an option every half hour or so and this carries on throughout the night. This is not actually too bad. It's not "rubbish".

Could this be improved? Probably, but I don't see that there are things that you could do that would dramatically shrink the journey time. When you are dealing with travel across a big city, some journeys are just going to take what they take. There will be some point to point journeys that are very fast relative to the distance, because they happen to have their start and end points near (for example) a relatively fast rail line with direct services. And there will be some that are slower. When you average out all these journey times, you might find that they can start to be quite similar to driving times or better.

It's not valid to look at the journey time by private car and then deem the public transport infeasible or unreasonable if it takes longer. Of course many journeys (given a clear road) are going to be quicker by car because the journey can be totally optimised for the benefit of the car's passengers and no-one else (not just in terms of time but pollution and safety as well). And that's why people like their cars. But this only works when a relatively small proportion of travellers are using that method. As soon as you try and scale it up it doesn't work, as we see in rush hour congestion. In that rush hour scenario the small proportion trying to do it by car are messing it up for everyone else.

Anyway, my point is looking at this from the angle of a response when someone living in zone 3/4 London tells me they simply have to have a car because public transport is so poor. It's (in most cases) nonsense. Public transport is pretty good. It's not as good as it is in central London, but it's nowhere near bad enough to argue that relying on public transport is some kind of great hardship or unreasonable ask. After all it's what millions of Londoners do every day - get by without a car, while having to listen to those car drivers who are slowing down their bus services complain about how awful it would be if they had to spend 1hr getting to their friend's house instead of 40 minutes.

And the context of this is the argument you hear so often, that well I'm not against LTNs but you know we really have to do other stuff first like making the public transport better. That might hold up in some places, places where there really aren't viable alternatives so you can't expect any significant transfer to other transport modes as a result of making the car option less convenient. But for the most part zone 3&4 London really isn't one of those places.

Please note that in all this I am not arguing to ban anyone from having a car. I am making the argument that it is reasonable to take measures that will inconvenience some car drivers on some journeys.

This really doesn’t address anything I’ve said. I’m visiting family and the journey takes 40 minutes there and 25 minutes back. If I took public transport it would be 1 hour 10-15 minutes each way. It would make my daughter visiting her grandparents impossible. And I’m travelling to Bromley, a neighbouring borough, not going right across London. The journey could clearly take far less time on public transport of it was improved. You won’t win people over with a “suck it up attitude”.

Likewise I go to work by bus. The commute has been made significantly worse by this LTN. And for many other bus users and this is detrimental to lots of people’s family lives. Again just shrugging and saying who cares isn’t the answer.

You’re debating someone who would like to see far less cars. But there seems to be, among some, this almost religious belief in LTNs. Some are good, others clearly aren’t. And on the scale of things they are actually a total sticking plaster.

Likewise I go to work by bus. The commute has been made significantly worse by this LTN. And for many other bus users and this is detrimental to lots of people’s family lives. Again just shrugging and saying who cares isn’t the answer.
I haven't said who cares. I've said give it some time to settle before writing it off. If it continues to cause big problems for bus users then it should be reviewed.

I haven't said who cares. I've said give it some time to settle before writing it off. If it continues to cause big problems for bus users then it should be reviewed.

Fair enough.

Also I genuinely think the long term answer is having collective car use, through a state owned zip car type operation.

Back
Top Bottom