Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

Brixton LTN engagement report is out - have quickly glanced through and summary is that they are going to go ahead with everything as planned apart from two changes:

1. Camera-enforced not physical filter at Branksome Rd/Acre Lane junction in order to monitor for 6 months (NB no resident exemption).

2. Exploring making Dumbarton Rd inaccessible from Brixton Hill to stop cut-though to South Circular.

Some good explanations of why they aren’t following some requests. Detailed report here (pdf):

I agree but they explain their thinking on Lancaster avenue HERE but then that is wilfully misinterpreted (as well as the council reasons for such schemes) by a prominent/one of the few remaining antis on Nextdoor.

View attachment 370432

You really think he’d give it a rest after being wrong for nearly 3 years now.

“The little people who don’t own a car” is quite a telling description.

Brixton LTN engagement report is out - have quickly glanced through and summary is that they are going to go ahead with everything as planned apart from two changes:

1. Camera-enforced not physical filter at Branksome Rd/Acre Lane junction in order to monitor for 6 months (NB no resident exemption).

2. Exploring making Dumbarton Rd inaccessible from Brixton Hill to stop cut-though to South Circular.

Some good explanations of why they aren’t following some requests. Detailed report here (pdf):

I don’t know where the speeding traffic on thornbury is going to go, if there is no east-west cut through via dunbarton !

He, along with many antis, struggle to believe the census figures on car ownership. Think it’s telling that so many with cars assume everyone else has them - completely blind to the realities of our communities.

Clowns, a huge conspiracy involving, the dvla, the motor industry, councils - all to underestimate the number of cars in the U.K.

Anti ULEZ protest marched through Kennington yesterday, with a couple of anti LTN posters. A young woman popped into the pub we were at and gave us all leaflets.

Turned out to be almost entirely conspiracism about how it's all akin to Chinese social credit. Almost nothing about the actual ULEZ extension

Anti ULEZ protest marched through Kennington yesterday, with a couple of anti LTN posters. A young woman popped into the pub we were at and gave us all leaflets.

Turned out to be almost entirely conspiracism about how it's all akin to Chinese social credit. Almost nothing about the actual ULEZ extension
They were stopping the traffic in Brixton yesterday. Mrs W said there were only about 20 of them.

Why "lite"? it looks like it's designed to deal with drivers rat running between the SCirc and Norwood Road. (although Robson-Croxsted still looks like it would be an issue and the eastern section of Robson is supposed to be a quiet cycle route)

View attachment 370337

The real problem is Robson rd which is a cut through to gipsy hill and crystal palace. It's just wide enough for one car and has got those stupid speed humps which cause cars to swerve over the road.

Well I think they picked one of my quotes (or if it’s not mine, I said something incredibly similar). It was about making NPR a school road.

They’re not bloody well doing it though :mad:

Also not related to LTNs but local traffic - I see they’ve increased the waiting time for pedestrians at the crossing by the tube :hmm:

Last edited:
Tonight on BBC1:

On Monday 17 April, 8pm, BBC One, BBC Panorama: Road Wars: Neighbourhood Traffic Chaos delves into England’s contentious Low Traffic Neighbourhoods (LTNs), as BBC News Climate Editor Justin Rowlatt explores how they have affected communities in London and Oxford.

For the film, Justin Rowlatt travels to Oxford to learn how the introduction of LTNs had led to vandalism and angry confrontations. One supporter of LTNs in Oxford, 79 year-old Theo, tells Panorama that he had twice been hit by a vehicle during clashes, and even “thumped in the face”.

In London, Waltham Forest Labour Councillor Clyde Loakes tells Justin of extreme responses to proposed plans to reduce traffic in the area. Following public protests against changes, Loakes also received dead threats and unpleasant letters to his home.

“My wife opened up a letter and we kind of had to get the police involved and, you know, the alarms to kind of be given to, you know, myself and the rest of my family,” he tells Panorama.

In 2021, Camden council in London closed several local roads to create a new LTN. Richard Chaumeton, who has run a roofing business based in Camden for the last 26 years says the introduction of LTNs “can add up to 40 minutes to a journey at rush hour.”

Richard and his team have accumulated thousands of pounds in fines for breaking the rules on driving in LTNs. Each fine is £130, but Rich tells Justin Rowlatt that he has successfully appealed every fine.

Camden council says that the scheme has successfully tackled local congestion, led to an improvement in air quality and reduced carbon emissions.

BBC Panorama: Road Wars: Neighbourhood Traffic Chaos, BBC One, 20:00, Monday 17 April and BBC iPlayer.

Watched the Panorama thing. Reasonably balanced but could have done with a bit of fact checking.

At one point the presenter drives the new route from St. Clements to Oxford railway station which is - shock - 26 mins rather than the unrestricted route which is 12 mins. He could have pointed out that you can get a bus which takes about 15 mins (or walk it in 25 mins).

People seem to be claiming it was a stitch up as you had a professor and v reasonable sounding councillors and others on the pro side and than Laurence Fox & Katie Hopkins on the other 🤔

As with everything just think “what would Laurence Fox do?” and make sure to do the opposite.

Supportive article in the Guardian today, pointing out the intellectual poverty of the attack line against LTNs (which we are going to be seeing a lot more of with the tories deciding that appealing to car nuts is going to win them back the Mayor of london…I for one welcome their idiocy)

Fw92fvXWYAEJKqx.jpeg
Antis outnumbering pros by a factor of 2 to 1 on the Streatham Wells LTN proposals.

Latest proposals are interesting because Valley road north residents will have to access via A23. Quite a long detour for them vs. the previous proposals where they accessed via LCR

Seems like there will be increased traffic on both Sunnyhill and LCR. Bad news for the multiple schools that front onto these roads. :(

View attachment 376119
Antis outnumbering pros by a factor of 2 to 1 on the Streatham Wells LTN proposals.

Latest proposals are interesting because Valley road north residents will have to access via A23. Quite a long detour for them vs. the previous proposals where they accessed via LCR

Seems like there will be increased traffic on both Sunnyhill and LCR. Bad news for the multiple schools that front onto these roads. :(
Local residents have been told that there will be further consultation for those in the Valley Road North area before decisions are made. Plus there are options being considered to increase the area covered by Sunnyhill School Street.
Details are awaited.

I assumed the change was to remove some traffic from LCR, which is what the anti LTNers have been going on about.....

Also seem to have no knowledge of the local area. Quite apart from LTNs enabling safe routes to schools around them there are FOUR schools within the Tulse Hill LTN that no longer have through traffic running past them.
View attachment 376122
To be fair I’d argue there are 2 (Holy Trinity & Elm Court) as the others are on boundary roads but your point stands. Shows that still lots of work to do and bizarre that the same people oppose ULEZ.

Orchard Primary School was built as an outdoor school to give children fresh are to disease. Depressing to think what the Sth Circular has become.

Local residents have been told that there will be further consultation for those in the Valley Road North area before decisions are made. Plus there are options being considered to increase the area covered by Sunnyhill School Street.
Details are awaited.

I assumed the change was to remove some traffic from LCR, which is what the anti LTNers have been going on about.....
Hmm, can't see the valley road northers who were worried about inconvenience being appeased.

There is no "don't do a LTN" option in the consultation but instead there is the hilarious outcome of every single filter being in the "wrong location" according to the public. The right location would be nowhere at all.

Hmm, can't see the valley road northers who were worried about inconvenience being appeased.
The trade off would be pretty much zero traffic though and no chaos around the school streets times when parents drive in /out making 3 point turns in the middle of the road or clogging up the doctors surgery.
We'll wait and see I guess.

Back
Top Bottom