Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

That bollard is made of strong stuff! And what was the driver of that massive truck even doing thinking of going down Dumbarton road? Sat nav over common sense I guess?

Posted once about this on Nextdoor and had a load of Onsies saying they should make the bollard more visible rather than if drivers can’t even tell where the pavement is perhaps we shouldn’t allow them to rat run freely everywhere.

You can see how the old kerbline could be misleading to people not paying attention.
I remember when that speed table and extended kerb section first went in. It had taller reflective bollards and there were litter bins and Sheffield stand bike racks too. It got wiped out bit by bit by rat-running vehicles and there were often sad-looking bent bikes around. The badass bell bollard is normally a solution of last resort, designed to deflect HGV tyres.

Interestingly, the St Saviour's Rd turning just down the hill was done at the same time and it still has all its original street furniture. Far less of an obvious rat run though.

I remember when that speed table and extended kerb section first went in. It had taller reflective bollards and there were litter bins and Sheffield stand bike racks too. It got wiped out bit by bit by rat-running vehicles and there were often sad-looking bent bikes around. The badass bell bollard is normally a solution of last resort, designed to deflect HGV tyres.

Interestingly, the St Saviour's Rd turning just down the hill was done at the same time and it still has all its original street furniture. Far less of an obvious rat run though.
Only a rat run as an exit I guess, and a right turn out of it.

Rishi's gonna get you lot!

Cyclists who kill face tougher jail terms after crackdown on 'legal loophole'​

A "death by dangerous cycling" law is being planned by Transport Secretary Grant Shapps who has reportedly said that current legislation is "archaic" and a legal loophole needs to be closed
Anyone got a figure for the amount of people killed by cyclists every year?

Well remembered - looking at streetview the tall bollard lasted about a year and the bike racks two. Bloody depressing.

1660215185996.png

Yep - guess it’s a mixture of bad driving & vehicles with poor visibility. It’s a dangerous rat run and makes that junction very bad for pedestrians & cyclists.

Here’s the greatest “hits”!

View attachment 336941View attachment 336942View attachment 336944View attachment 336945View attachment 336947View attachment 336949View attachment 336948View attachment 336946View attachment 336943

Might just nab the pics of this hardworking little fellah for the "bollard appreciation group" on Facebook...

Well remembered - looking at streetview the tall bollard lasted about a year and the bike racks two. Bloody depressing.

View attachment 336993
Yeah - years ago now. I recall it was all connected to the removal of the gyratory around St Matthews and several turnings off Brixton Hill were done at once to the same spec. I lived right next to one while it was going in.

Last edited:
Many people think that Van Gogh Walk is a fantastic example of how urban neighbourhoods can look when traffic is reduced - but maybe its actually just a ghetto of weeds & crime.

A desperate cry for attention from Tim.

Conservatives - it's free public space - the quicker they can stamp that out and find some way to completely privatise it the better (that's surely the implication of his view that a public park reduces wealth and opportunities)

Most of the onesie hatred of 'pocket parks' and street greening comes down to the potential for 'undesirables' to 'hang around' there which seems somewhat at odds with their concern about the 'poor and disadvantaged'. But conservatives again - help the poor with 'tax cuts' when 40% of adults don't pay tax (unemployed, retired, or just paid so little the fall below the tax threshold).

Found out the other day that Thatcher herself lived in a gated estate on the A205 at Dulwich, which seems rather appropriate. And the tory Dulwich councillor candidate who helped secure the worst ever tory result in Dulwich Village ward (sorry, worst result so far) lives on a literal private road too.

Screenshot 2022-08-12 at 08.42.32.png

Strong support for it in the consultation which is great as it was presented by many as one with more opposition.

View attachment 337204

Anyone know what OneLambeth’s reaction is? Not even sure any of them have noticed. Perhaps they’ve all starting realising that LTNs just make sense.
Too busy wanking over Liz Truss.

That is a surprisingly positive result. I no longer live in Ferndale so not really sure what people do/think there about it but walking through/past it and reading stuff online made me think it was pretty unpopular. Turns out not I guess

That is a surprisingly positive result. I no longer live in Ferndale so not really sure what people do/think there about it but walking through/past it and reading stuff online made me think it was pretty unpopular. Turns out not I guess

Is that purely residents ?

Back
Top Bottom