Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

Does anyone know if there are any plans furthered for that proposed LTN that would prevent New Park Road being used as a rat run?
Haven’t heard any updates for a while but this is the page for it.

You could email Rezina Chowdhury to voice your support and ask for an update.

Rishi's gonna get you lot!

Cyclists who kill face tougher jail terms after crackdown on 'legal loophole'​

A "death by dangerous cycling" law is being planned by Transport Secretary Grant Shapps who has reportedly said that current legislation is "archaic" and a legal loophole needs to be closed

Rishi's gonna get you lot!

Cyclists who kill face tougher jail terms after crackdown on 'legal loophole'​

A "death by dangerous cycling" law is being planned by Transport Secretary Grant Shapps who has reportedly said that current legislation is "archaic" and a legal loophole needs to be closed
it'd be rather better if instead of focussing on matters after the event there was a requirement for cyclists to have training and insurance before using the roads and the law on cycling on the pavement tightened up

it'd be rather better if instead of focussing on matters after the event there was a requirement for cyclists to have training and insurance before using the roads and the law on cycling on the pavement tightened up
I remember having to do cycling proficiency aged about 10. Can't remember if I passed.
But this press release or whatever was presumably aimed at Tory pensioners worried about pavement cycling.
Which Lambeth and Lambeth police have refused to control since the 1980s.

Personally I'm worried about Tory pensioners on giant mobility scooters on the pavement - and in Sainsburys.

I remember having to do cycling proficiency aged about 10. Can't remember if I passed.
But this press release or whatever was presumably aimed at Tory pensioners worried about pavement cycling.

Personally I'm worried about Tory pensioners on giant mobility scooters on the pavement - and in Sainsburys.
Yeh they're a hazard too, unlikely to kill but still dangerous. But having seen cops cycling where they shouldn't loads of times I doubt they'll ever do anything about it

Reactions: CH1
I don't think I've seen any pavement cycling on Railton Road or Shakespeare Road since I started commuting that way. Hard to say if it's a pattern, but maybe unfair to say that the council has done nothing about it.
i have to say in all fairness i can't recall seeing pavement cycling in brixton, certainly none so egregious it sticks in my mind

I don't think I've seen any pavement cycling on Railton Road or Shakespeare Road since I started commuting that way. Hard to say if it's a pattern, but maybe unfair to say that the council has done nothing about it.
I guess they don't need to. From juvenile experience though I had though pavements allow faster cycling - something to do with surface

For your amusement here is the answer to the opposite question (American style) from Quora:
Jesse Johnston
Just some dude Updated 3y

Originally Answered: Why do bikes insist on riding in the road instead of the sidewalk or shoulder?

Because I’m my locale, it’s illegal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk in excess of 10 mph. On flat ground I cruise about 24–25mph. 235 pounds doing 24mph, on a sidewalk? Christ, if I hit someone they are going to the hospital.
On the bike I don’t putter around. I ride like I race, and I race like I ride. I’m way too fast to be on a sidewalk or a multi use “bike path” full of kids or casual riders. my fitness rides are 12 - 80 miles long, at the highest speeds I can sustain.
If I’m meeting or exceeding the speed limit on a road, I take the whole lane as if I’m a motorbike, I have a right to. On some twisty decents it’s common for me to pass cars on the left… because I’m faster than they are.
if I’m slower than traffic I keep to the right, but only as far right as the good paving is. If the shoulder pavement is lousy or there are parked cars on it, I stay well left of the poor paving or parked cars (open door distance)
if that means you need to go around me… sorry. I have just as much right to use the road as you do… I do own a car, and I do pay taxes. So I’ll use the road as I see fit within the confines of the law… thank you.

i have to say in all fairness i can't recall seeing pavement cycling in brixton, certainly none so egregious it sticks in my mind
You should try outside the Beehive/Nationwide building Society. Very dodgy. And you never know whether it's because they want to snatch a mobile or use the pedestrian crossing.

You almost certainly need to be a lot more worried about being hit by a tory pensioner in a car than you do a cyclist.

IMG_3063.jpeg

And guidance has repeatedly been given to the Police that they should not prosecute responsible pavement cycling, which is sensible when a lot of existing cycling infrastructure is 'shared use' pavement which is very poorly marked (so hard to know where it starts and ends).

Screenshot 2022-08-08 at 13.46.26.png

You should try outside the Beehive/Nationwide building Society. Very dodgy. And you never know whether it's because they want to snatch a mobile or use the pedestrian crossing.
and that's exactly the sort of place where many people would be 'afraid to cycle on the road', and where there is no safe route to get between Ferndale Road and Atlantic Road

This is all of the bugbears in one image isn't it? Legally cycling the wrong way down a one way street, cycling on the pavement (that direction to turn onto the pavement is, if I remember rightly, beasue there is/was a cycle route down the alleyway to the right - edit -- see below), going through a red light (you have to if you want to turn left onto Brixton Road here to head north)

Screenshot 2022-08-08 at 13.52.30.png

Edit

extract from the OpenCycleMap. Whover put this together thought cycling down that alleyway was both legal and presumably signed in some way.
Screenshot 2022-08-08 at 13.57.35.png

And of course the completely inconsistency and confusion of trying to sign small areas of pavement as shared use, while other identical areas mere metres away are in theory verboten.
as it is now - a no cycling sign immediately before an area cyclists are directed onto.
Screenshot 2022-08-08 at 14.01.58.png
and the old layout (pre department store) when the cycle route down the alley was very clearly marked, but still appeared to be forbidden by a no cycling sign in the same place as now.

Screenshot 2022-08-08 at 14.02.45.png

Last edited:
Dumbarton Brixton hill again, how does this even happen ?
Yep - guess it’s a mixture of bad driving & vehicles with poor visibility. It’s a dangerous rat run and makes that junction very bad for pedestrians & cyclists.

Here’s the greatest “hits”!

088EF493-EDA3-4E7A-AC88-F71EFDD33AE1.jpegF875DEE4-5690-4C21-815E-EBCCCA8B3161.jpeg1D66E2CB-4349-49BA-8F1E-ABCB565D3D09.jpeg063867C6-7DD0-41EC-BE6E-F5F2144BDE1D.jpeg93631D8C-6D21-4739-AA99-6C1D5AD13C9E.jpeg24ED585F-85FC-4931-8C00-0030D39FCCF0.jpegAE206BCA-D5ED-45D0-9534-82AF799819AE.jpegBD6CC7F4-D4E1-490A-A786-8473FFC38FF0.jpeg69826E4C-78C0-4AAD-BEB2-16A54623FC94.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom