Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

A wee chat with the guy who described a couple of traffic management schemes as "eugenics" until he was told to take the post down? I don't think I'm going to pick "good".
But you could talk to him and engage. If you don’t want or you can’t. Also, using eugenics as a reason probably isn’t bright

This narrative of private roads with million pound houses shows how much these people know about our areas. Pretty sure Cristo lives on an actual private road while lots of the roads in our ward are made up of houses divided into flats, a lot of which are social housing eg. Leander Rd.

While prominent LTN opponents are also buy to let landlords - some whilst actually living in social housing.

Cristo. Thatcher worshipping shock jock who lives on a road with no through traffic because it was closed off by a post war estate and thinks it’s fine to buy your way onto a quiet road but doesn’t think anyone else should have one. An odd ally for OneLambeth.

The guy was happy to stand up in a council meeting and misrepresent the wording in a council report to claim that traffic had gone up on a road when it had actually gone down. Is engaging him with some convincing evidence going to help? It hasn't worked with you.
At the beginning, the counsel said it was all about covid. Then it wasn’t about covid/sorry, not covid

This narrative of private roads with million pound houses shows how much these people know about our areas. Pretty sure Cristo lives on an actual private road while lots of the roads in our ward are made up of houses divided into flats, a lot of which are social housing eg. Leander Rd.

While prominent LTN opponents are also buy to let landlords - some whilst actually living in social housing.

I’m not sure that’s the best attack given that prominent LTN councillors live in LTNs too. If you’re going to savage anyone for living in an LTN and benefiting from it, you should probably start with the people who instigated the policy in the first place

At the beginning, the counsel said it was all about covid. Then it wasn’t about covid/sorry, not covid
Is this really what got your back up? Just read the Lambeth transport strategy. This did not come out of the blue. It’s not being done for a single reason - it addresses a whole range of objectives. It’s about a transition to a lower carbon city, air quality, improving life outcomes by increasing physical activity, increasing transport capacity. Yes, there were elements that helped with Covid (and need for people to avoid public transport and not switch to private car or cab) but the plans predate that and it was never solely about that.

Now maybe the messaging didn’t try to communicate all of that at once but people do tend to respond best to simple messaging. Hands face space.

The guy was happy to stand up in a council meeting and misrepresent the wording in a council report to claim that traffic had gone up on a road when it had actually gone down. Is engaging him with some convincing evidence going to help? It hasn't worked with you.
Engagement should always help. After all, weren’t you just advocating I do exactly that by “educating” people? I’m now confused as to what you actually think

Is this really what got your back up? Just read the Lambeth transport strategy. This did not come out of the blue. It’s not being done for a single reason - it addresses a whole range of objectives. It’s about a transition to a lower carbon city, air quality, improving life outcomes by increasing physical activity, increasing transport capacity. Yes, there were elements that helped with Covid (and need for people to avoid public transport and not switch to private car or cab) but the plans predate that and it was never solely about that.

Now maybe the messaging didn’t try to communicate all of that at once but people do tend to respond best to simple messaging. Hands face space.
At the beginning it was specifically a reaction to covid, that’s also where the funding came from. That it has now been adapted to address a whole range of other things is a different matter.

? Starting to think your opposition to LTNs is more political than anything.
No, it’s legal. That’s why its at the court of appeal and why I’m not standing or interested in standing. If my stance was political I’d have taken a political route rather than a legal route

Engagement should always help. After all, weren’t you just advocating I do exactly that by “educating” people? I’m now confused as to what you actually think
Not me, Chuck. I'm the guy that thinks there's no evidence or argument that could ever shift you or your mates' opinions. I do believe the bit about you being confused, though.

No, it’s legal. That’s why its at the court of appeal and why I’m not standing or interested in standing. If my stance was political I’d have taken a political route rather than a legal route
You can tell yourself what you want. Pretty sure it’s some anti-council/Labour hang up going by your comments on here.

You can tell yourself what you want. Pretty sure it’s some anti-council/Labour hang up going by your comments on here.
Nope, it’s legal Ed. I haven’t gone against the council on anything else. It really is about disabled people. It’s personal for me.

At the beginning it was specifically a reaction to covid, that’s also where the funding came from. That it has now been adapted to address a whole range of other things is a different matter.
This is why there’s no point in engaging with some if you won’t accept facts even when shown evidence (again & again). Note the start date of this thread.

Sure but national polls don't always indicate local results. Wandsworth hasn't gone Labour for decades despite polls indicating Conservative collapse at various points.
Wandsworth results:
2006: Tories 59, Labour 9
2010: Tories 45, Labour 13
2014 Tories 41, Labour 19
2018 Tories 33, Labour 26

Labour are very much on trend to take Wandsworth if this trend continues

Wandsworth results:
2006: Tories 59, Labour 9
2010: Tories 45, Labour 13
2014 Tories 41, Labour 19
2018 Tories 33, Labour 26

Labour are very much on trend to take Wandsworth if this trend continues

Oh sure, the trend is good in that regard, but on the other hand, Wandsworth is also getting more socially cleansed as well.

Wandsworth, if anything, is more of a one party state than Lambeth is. At least Lambeth has had someone not Labour in charge in the last 20 years

Was just trying to help out as whatshisname had always said he’d no idea who in the tiny OneLambeth group was dealing with the social media. Happy for the mods to remove so long as they’re consistent and take out all the other personal stuff across this thread and Buzz. But I’ve not said anything nasty about her.

In any case, Sam was happy to put herself out there as a onesie spokesperson and be photographed at the court, posting her photo on the OneLambeth twitter. This just connects the dots and I’m a strong believer that you shouldn’t say anything online that you’d not say in person (though accept many of us may have said things that we don’t actually believe in anger or to get a reaction at times).
Regarding the tweets you had to resign over…I take it your point above means that you would not only say exactly the same thing now but would also say it in person to the BAME community. You’re effectively standing by your position. Good to know

Regarding the tweets you had to resign over…I take it your point above means that you would not only say exactly the same thing now but would also say it in person to the BAME community. You’re effectively standing by your position. Good to know
erm - is this on?

Back
Top Bottom