Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

If there weren’t any IP addresses how would you know they were the same?!

Think you’re on a wind up again like your “art installation”.

Frankly depressing how much effort some will put into opposing some frankly minor road changes. We’re completely fucked when it comes to climate change.
Because the council can say they were the same without giving the actual address. That is what redacting information does.

Yes, redacted. So without ip numbers, names or addresses to show the number of responses in each box.

So, if you had two responses in a box which was a positive responses in the consultation from the same IP address, how many of those were discounted compared to those which were instantly treated as being “suspicious” (councils word not mine) which were from the same same IP address. No actual names, addresses or IP number required just number of responses. I was told that even this would breach GDPR. I made it very clear that no names, addresses or IP adressess/number were being requested and also clarified this subsequently.
That's what they've already published - see this post

The number excluded was in the report, and these are the reasons why they filtered them out. You said you'd asked for 'underlying data' - without names/address/IP address all you'd have is a load of lines on a spreadsheet that looked exactly the same.

"Sadly though, the consultations also saw concerted attempts at manipulation with blatant efforts to stop the council from really hearing people’s views by swamping the consultations with over 1,800 fake responses. "

The number excluded was in the report, and these are the reasons why they filtered them out. You said you'd asked for 'underlying data' - without names/address/IP address all you'd have is a load of lines on a spreadsheet that looked exactly the same.
Yes, I asked how many of those deleted were positive rather than negative responses (given that there were only positive / affirmatory boxes which could be checked) and was told that this information couldn’t be given. In effect, why can you publish the deleted responses that were “suspicious” but then not tell me how many positive responses were from the same IP address? It wouldn’t require any data subject to GDPR being handed over at all.

Because the council can say they were the same without giving the actual address. That is what redacting information does.
So you don't believe their statement but you'll believe them when they say redacted information is the same? Sounds frankly like you're wasting their time tbh. Again, all very depressing.

Having done quite a few of these and then splitting up the data into the various responses types it’s not difficult to do whilst also not breaching GDPR. That’s my point. Never mind.

I don't know - looking at that doc it seems pretty much nothing visible externally is allowed. Most election posters are just stuck in windows in London (though in the country you see estate agent type signs stuck in gardens).
Things stuck in windows (on the inside of the glass) are excluded here

Advertisements which are excluded from direct control
There are 9 different classes of advertisement which are excluded from
the direct control of the planning authority provided certain conditions
are fulfilled. These categories are:
9. Advertisements displayed inside a building. These advertisements must
not be illuminated or displayed within one metre of any window or
other external opening through which they can be seen from outside
the building (see illustrations 8 and 9 )

The sad, desperate floundering of the anti mob is never ending.

“We want traffic data”

“Noooo, not that sort”

“We want pollution data”

“Noooo, not that sort”

“We want popularity data”

“Noooo, not that sort”

Again, and again, and again.

Just admit it, you don’t give a fuck about anything other than wanting to drive your car wherever and whenever the fuck you like, and then at least people could respect you for your honesty if nothing else.

Things stuck in windows (on the inside of the glass) are excluded here

thanks - I'd missed that.

FFS - telegraph sinks to a new low here I think with the "North Korea' line. This is sub local paper stuff - it's very clear from that planning doc that you don't have a 'democratic right' to stick a sign in your front garden.
IMG_5226.jpeg

“We want traffic data”

“Noooo, not that sort”

“We want pollution data”

“Noooo, not that sort”

“Noooo, not that sort”

Just admit it, you don’t give a fuck about anything other than wanting to drive your car wherever and whenever the fuck you like, and then at least people could respect you for your honesty if nothing else.
Good summary though think he's said he doesn't drive so seems like some anti-council/authority thing.

That's not really what you said is it? Can you share the FOI request you made?
That’s the response I got which linked it to Environmental data as you can see. You’ve got the jisheng of it above. The responses from the consultation showing responses discarded by the council. Splitting them into other in the other box (from the same IP address) and positive responses from the same IP address. I then asked for a couple of further subdivisions without asking for names or GDPR sensitive info

“We want traffic data”

“Noooo, not that sort”

“We want pollution data”

“Noooo, not that sort”

“Noooo, not that sort”

I don’t own a car. I walk or take public transport.

I was quite surprised that there are rules about such signage. Whilst I don't particularly like such large signs all over the place, it didn't particularly bother me.

I was quite surprised that there are rules about such signage. Whilst I don't particularly like such large signs all over the place, it didn't particularly bother me.

I'm not surprised there are rules, I just thought the political signage would have exemptions (and it should imo). idk whether having fundraising info on it changes it from being something political to something else.
I also wonder if there have been complaints which the council is legally required to act on if they receive them - if this is what has happened then it makes the whole North Korea thing even more laughable since this is a democratic mechanism that allows people to have some input or control over the local visual environment.

I'm not surprised there are rules, I just thought the political signage would have exemptions (and it should imo). idk whether having fundraising info on it changes it from being something political to something else.
I also wonder if there have been complaints which the council is legally required to act on if they receive them - if this is what has happened then it makes the whole North Korea thing even more laughable since this is a democratic mechanism that allows people to have some input or control over the local visual environment.
There are exemptions for political signage but needs to be removed 14days after an election etc. There's no active consultations on these and not in the area where the news article's about.

A good journalist would report on what the rules around signage are but then this is the Telegraph...

It's somewhere in between. Councils are required to look into reported breaches but have discretion whether to take enforcement action.

A breach of planning is not an offence until enforcement action is started and a time limit to conform with the requirements in the enforcement notice has expired.

Was watching a bit of the judicial review earlier, judge remarked that this might be academic as they are now permanent. Obviously there are a number that aren’t so that’s still in play

I think a strategy of getting people to respond to a questionnaire with exactly the same responses even in free text fields is naive at best

There are exemptions for political signage but needs to be removed 14days after an election etc. There's no active consultations on these and not in the area where the news article's about.

A good journalist would report on what the rules around signage are but then this is the Telegraph...
I was unaware as well but if you dont' have fairly strict rules on advertising you end up with towns looking like US strip malls and risk every increasing 'battles of the signs' between neighbours. Keeping visual clutter to a minimum is a good thing.

1396919558000-dmrdc5-6b9rpzn7mjd5nwrnp58-layout.jpg

Was watching a bit of the judicial review earlier, judge remarked that this might be academic as they are now permanent. Obviously there are a number that aren’t so that’s still in play
This has been raised here many times & if true I wonder whether the law firm raised this with chowce5382

Someone watching has said that they've said any ruling would be for Ferndale & Streatham Hill - is this true?

A bit like the anti-speed camera carheads - why don't they just campaign to get speed limits increased? Answer of course is that they know they'd lose any such campaign because people generally aren't keen on faster traffic (possible exception; maybe they'd get somewhere on speed limits for motorways or major A roads).

So there's this whole hypocritical bullshit where they pretend that they hate speed cameras but not because they want to break the speed limit, when that's the only possible reason for becoming virulently against them. It's such nonsense.

It’s not the signboard idea that makes a difference under the legislation. The advertising point relates to an “invitation to treat” to supply services of buy something. If this is the granular level of the issue which the council is trying to address one could argue that a “I love my LTN” is a political advertisement as it’s directly supporting the published political policy of the current ruling party in Lambeth.

You just won’t agree in general as you’ll see it for one side and that’s fine. I’m just surprised and that the council is spending time and energy on this. Especially when they have spent more time directly interacting with people who have a sign up than disabled people they could actually help. Again, it’s just myopic and their time could be better spent elsewhere I suspect.
Clearly, I don't make or enforce the rules, so was just speculating as to why the for and against signs had been treated differently.

I do actually agree with you, that this seems like a waste of Lambeth's time and energy and just stirs up more division, when it would be better for them and us to find a way to work together to get better outcomes for those already disadvantaged. Country wide it's looking increasingly that measures to reduce traffic impact (such as LTNs) are here to stay. They inconvenience anyone who uses a car of course - that's the point - but how to ensure that those inconveniences aren't insupportable to those already disadvantaged. I have no answer (or idea as yet), but this constant division - them and us - is not healthy or helping.

Clearly, I don't make or enforce the rules, so was just speculating as to why the for and against signs had been treated differently.

I do actually agree with you, that this seems like a waste of Lambeth's time and energy and just stirs up more division, when it would be better for them and us to find a way to work together to get better outcomes for those already disadvantaged. Country wide it's looking increasingly that measures to reduce traffic impact (such as LTNs) are here to stay. They inconvenience anyone who uses a car of course - that's the point - but how to ensure that those inconveniences aren't insupportable to those already disadvantaged. I have no answer (or idea as yet), but this constant division - them and us - is not healthy or helping.
I agree. These issues are polarising politics and, frankly, the benefit doesn’t outweight the polarisation. We can see it in todays politics where conservative ministers are condoning the indefensible. Starting to feel a bit like the US in that respect.

In any event, I feel the balance must be struck in favour of those for whom motorised access is important due to their circumstances/vulnerability. For people like me, you should just walk or take public transport.

Back
Top Bottom