Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

By avoiding LTN'S I take the main roads and am sitting still in my car in a long line of traffic polluting the planet whilst not actually moving ( at least that is how it feels)
The idea with LTNs is that some drivers will decide not to drive so that overall there will be fewer drivers. The evidence that this is happening is looking good.

The idea with LTNs is that some drivers will decide not to drive so that overall there will be fewer drivers. The evidence that this is happening is looking good.
I am out on the roads all day long and find it so hard to judge. Obviously people working from home has had a huge effect on our habits. And covid has meant so much more shopping on line ( delivered to people's doors - rather than the better option of a hub) League tables mean that parents are driving their children miles to school to better their education - no school buses and very few walking / taking public transport. I think the reason why vehicles are on the road needs to be looked at.
Anyway i only came on here to express my feeling that signing and lack of road level alerts mean first time offenders are used as a cash cow for councils low on cash

By avoiding LTN'S I take the main roads and am sitting still in my car in a long line of traffic polluting the planet whilst not actually moving ( at least that is how it feels)
We need fewer car journeys to decrease pollution. LTNs aim to do that and the evidence shows that they do.

We need fewer car journeys to decrease pollution. LTNs aim to do that and the evidence shows that they do.
As far as I know LTN's have been implemented all across London during Covid.
I am a professional driver and I cannot underestimate how big an effect Covid has had on people's driving patterns. So how reliable evidence can be gathered during this time does seem implausible

I presume you mean different modes of transport. Unfortunately there is no public transport near my place of work. I would probably still own a car even if i didn't use it for work . That must sound so stupid but ironically one of the main reasons i would keep t would be to get out of London into the countryside.
Is your place of work outside of London? There are few places in London where there is no public transprort nearby.

You think you are better off by finding rat runs. So does everyone else. So the rat runs - residential streets - become clogged up and unsafe for those who live there. Doing what’s best for you isn’t what’s best for everyone.
Look I was only using that term as it was quoted to me. I agree that the overall problem is lessening car use. I can only speak from personal perspective. I walk and cycle as much as possible and only use the car to got to work as there is no public transport nearby and I start as early as 4am and finish as late as 2am. I believe there is a lot of unnecessary traffic (school runs parcel delivery etc) out there that needs to be addressed

Look I was only using that term as it was quoted to me. I agree that the overall problem is lessening car use. I can only speak from personal perspective. I walk and cycle as much as possible and only use the car to got to work as there is no public transport nearby and I start as early as 4am and finish as late as 2am. I believe there is a lot of unnecessary traffic (school runs parcel delivery etc) out there that needs to be addressed
Surely the traffic "caused by the LTNs" isn't causing huge congestion in the middle of the night?

I agree that the overall problem is lessening car use.
Sure. But you need to stop thinking about what you do, and think more about what everyone does.

You're slightly inconvenienced, and if what you say is correct and you are making necessary car journeys, then yes you will be driving a little further.

But this is more than offset by the choices made by other people.

Sorry I didn't explain fully - if I start at 4am I will finish in the afternoon and if i finish at 2am I will start in the afternoon. Either option I cannot manage without a car at these times
While it seems counter intuitive, if you’re already rat running then it makes little difference, but Google maps and Waze nearly always show the LTNs very soon after they go in, so using a sat nav (while still not following it blindly past signs) will help you avoid future fines.

I see the monitoring for Tulse Hill LTN has been published now -

and it looks like the Onesies claims about increased traffic on Brixton Hill are simply false - it's actually fallen. And Tulse Hill seems basically unaffected.

Traffic is up on the South Circular but it seems to be up on the south circular in places nowhere near LTNs, and even there the increase is not exactly changing the nature of the road - a very busy road is a bit busier.

A205.png

Brixton Hill.png

For those interested, OLJ are now retweeting a film of a bloke telling The Mayors People’s Question Time that covid is all a hoax and that vaccines are killing children. And that Khan was voted in through “artificial intelligence” and is unelected.

Also a film of Piers Corbyn protesting ULEZ by storming some sort of office drinks party.

Totally normal.

For those interested, OLJ are now retweeting a film of a bloke telling The Mayors People’s Question Time that covid is all a hoax and that vaccines are killing children. And that Khan was voted in through “artificial intelligence” and is unelected.

Also a film of Piers Corbyn protesting ULEZ by storming some sort of office drinks party.

Totally normal.

Absolutely batshit crazy. Anyone associated with these people really needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

Have just completed the Tulse Hill survey. Thought the questions were a bit directed to agreeing with the scheme. I'd favour some tweaks and exemptions for disabled badge holders. Essentially I agree if some compromises could be achieved would be the way forward.

OneLambeth have been delivering "object" leaflets in our area.

Have just completed the Tulse Hill survey. Thought the questions were a bit directed to agreeing with the scheme. I'd favour some tweaks and exemptions for disabled badge holders. Essentially I agree if some compromises could be achieved would be the way forward.

OneLambeth have been delivering "object" leaflets in our area.

Here’s the slightly deranged OneLambeth leaflet.

B9834574-61BA-4983-815E-F39F78EFBFE0.jpeg
5ADE6A9A-2B20-441D-AD7D-8AA37FC0039A.jpeg

There’s a supporting leaflet going out as well.

Here’s the slightly deranged OneLambeth leaflet.

View attachment 298413
View attachment 298412

There’s a supporting leaflet going out as well.
So, selectively pick the roads to list an only include the ones that show an increase. Leave off at the actual total number which is kind of important in judging whether an increase is really significant. And for Brixton Hill it looks like they've just made up some numbers because the published ones don't fit their narrative?

Back
Top Bottom