Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

Always lots of talk about the “cycle lobby”.

Here’s how the LTDA has gone about getting exemptions from bus gates in Lambeth.

I do think that taxi drivers being able to drive through the LTN barriers with impunity somewhat undermines the whole thing, but there you go, Lambeth has spoken

I do think that taxi drivers being able to drive through the LTN barriers with impunity somewhat undermines the whole thing, but there you go, Lambeth has spoken

It’s just bus filters in Lambeth. From that FOI request you can see why this has happened, they’re a powerful lobby with a lot of money behind them.

Black cabs are a fantastic service for people with mobility issues but they lean heavily on this and is a small fraction of their customers.

Always lots of talk about the “cycle lobby”.

Here’s how the LTDA has gone about getting exemptions from bus gates in Lambeth.

Taxis are one of the worst polluters, driving around looking for business, which is mostly rich people not wanting to take public transport.

Is it just black cabs - because there are fuck all of them compared to Uber drivers.

Is it just black cabs - because there are fuck all of them compared to Uber drivers.

Black cabs & fully accessible private hire ones. As you say there aren’t many round here so not much of an issue.

Completely understand an exemption when it’s for people with mobility issues but most black users aren’t and are v wealthy.

Yes it is ("Taxi" or "hackney carriage" = black cab. Uber etc are "Private Hire Vehicles" or "minicabs") edit: edcraw is more knowledgeable than me on the detail so I'm wrong about this.

Their argument is that all black cabs are wheelchair accessible and they provide a form of public transport for disabled people who are unable to use busses, trains or their own private car. They also argued for access to bus lanes on the same basis and on the basis that they need to pull up to the kerb for their wheelchair ramps to work.

So black cabs are getting access but not blue badges?

Blue badges will get to choose a filter they can go through under the proposals. Taxis just the ones buses can go through which are 2 on Railton Rx and 1 on Roupell Rd (might be others I’m not aware of).

Blue badges will get to choose a filter they can go through under the proposals. Taxis just the ones buses can go through which are 2 on Railton Rx and 1 on Roupell Rd (might be others I’m not aware of).
One filter is pointless, tokenistic at best.

Sorry to intrude but can anyone remember the woman on Twitter who cycles and has a disability? I’m trying to track her down and can’t remember her name. Ta.

I have multiple LTNs in all different directions to access appointments, never mind actual recreation and being part of the community.

Is this the “disabled people are a unique group who cannot be slowed down in any way” point of view ?

I’ll take this as a “yes”
No, take it as another fuck off.

You clearly have no understanding of the hardships many disabilities mean for getting around. I'm sure you couldn't even conceive of some of the situations or you would be deeply ashamed of yourself.

I’ll take this as a “yes”
But what I love about you best, alex, is how through other parts of this long thread you've tried to paint yourself as caring of the rights of those with severe mobility, medical and learning needs whereas now it's clear you don't give a shit.

What is wrong with a yellow card system.
All I personally need is a warning. Each council say that they have given local residents a grace period by email. That means that people outside the local area are immediately unfairly excluded.
Personally I have no problem with the measures - it's just the enforcement that immediately sets people against the council.

No, take it as another fuck off.

You clearly have no understanding of the hardships many disabilities mean for getting around. I'm sure you couldn't even conceive of some of the situations or you would be deeply ashamed of yourself.

I don’t see why - I’m entirely supportive of this.

All I personally need is a warning. Each council say that they have given local residents a grace period by email. That means that people outside the local area are immediately unfairly excluded.
Personally I have no problem with the measures - it's just the enforcement that immediately sets people against the council.
The warning is the road sign that clearly tells you you aren't allowed to drive through. Is it too much to expect people to read and understand road signage?

What is wrong with a yellow card system.
There was a grace period of, I think a month, for all drivers who got caught driving though where they shouldn't have. They got a warning letter or letters but no fine

Back
Top Bottom