Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

Someone was telling me about this scheme in S London a few weeks ago.

looks similar, this one is funded by the energy saving trust and I'm pretty sure they have a few trial schemes running doing similar things. It's a good idea and we've had a lot of interest from organisations interested in trying them out to see if they can work, mostly motivated by environmental concerns.

I spotted a skip lorry driving north through the Shakespeare Road modal gate again today. Local company that would know what's what. Does anyone know whether any exemptions have been granted?

I spotted a skip lorry driving north through the Shakespeare Road modal gate again today. Local company that would know what's what. Does anyone know whether any exemptions have been granted?
Only to council ones I believe.

Good point here. The Walworth LTN has indeed had v little opposition. For all the convoluted arguments against it’s really mostly about people wanting to be able drive everywhere.

Yep. Always has been, always will be only one argument against them - “I want to drive my car wherever the fuck I want”.

Yep. Always has been, always will be only one argument against them - “I want to drive my car wherever the fuck I want”.

As is very clear from the stated intent to roll back every bit of traffic calming ever implemented outlined by some of the posters in this thread

Cycling electrician

I started using a bike to get to sites over 4 years ago. Since then I’ve been manoeuvring though London far more efficiently without having to worry about train/tube delays, traffic, parking, fuel costs, the congestion charge or the newly introduced T charge, and without adding to London’s pollution. I’ve found that we can carry the tools and equipment that we need on a bike, and haven't required a van to do the job.

We've worked with small local businesses and domestic clients in Greenwich, Deptford, Blackheath, Woolwich, New Cross, Peckham, Camberwell, Central London, Shoreditch, Mile End, Hackney, Stoke Newington, Clapton and Walthamstow.

And case study

This sounds like all of the OneLambeths...
"It comes in the form of an appeal to social justice: one that casts environmentalists as an aloof, out-of-touch establishment, and the inactivists as insurgents, defending the values and livelihoods of ordinary people. “The biggest single threat to the net zero transition is a culture war-style backlash that heavily politicises this agenda and spooks governments into moving more slowly,” says Murray."

though at the same time it looks like there is one less Lambeth. (or is it fewer?)

The link there is now dead and looks like the Ben Rymer's campaign has moved to @lambethref2022 on twitter. They're still only up to 631 signatures so a long way to go to get to 5% of voters (about 15000) - hitching onto the Onesies doesn't seem to have worked out for them.

Consultations on the Tulse Hill & Streatham Hill LTNs have opened today.

Some people seem to hate our neighbourhoods and can’t seem to think they could possibly be made nicer. This is Roupell Road that splits parts of the St Martins Estate. The huge majority of traffic through there was rat runners. I know how I’d like my estate to look.

Last edited:
Some people seem to hate our neighbourhoods and can’t seem to think they could possibly be made nicer. This is Roupell Road that splits parts of the St Martins Estate. The huge majority of traffic through there was rat runners. I know how I’d like my estate to look.

Loving the hateful replies to this.

I guess Monk£y Bar$ doesn’t know about the windmill just round the corner then.

To be fair it's a silly image. One cyclist isn't looking where she is going and about to crash into the "camera", the other is heading straight for a collision with a man and his young daughter. The third has stopped in the middle of nowhere to take in the view(?)

I’m not sure that was his point, seemed more that this area isn’t nice and can’t be made to be!

He lives nearby, on a private gated road apparently, but doubt he’s ever ventured up here except to drive through.

Some people are actually trying to improve this area, may Cristo & his ilk would like to lend a hand?

One of the most successful street redesigns I've seen in S London is the one at Van Gogh Walk.

It's not directly comparable with what would be done at Tulse Hill because it's not a bus gate - it's a street that's been essentially given over to pedestrians - but at each end of it, there is a portion which sits across a street along which cars can still drive.

It's been there for going on ten years now I think, and it still looks good. I pass through there now and again and there are very often (in the summer almost always) people using the space. Sometimes some kids with a ball, sometimes a barbecue, quite often just some folk sat around chatting. And it's not all middle class white folk doing crochet.

It's an excellent real world example of what can be done and any sceptics ought to go and look at it before dismissing some relatively modest street redesign as "utopian".

These promotional images are always a bit problematic because even if the idea of them is just to give a sense of how something might look in principle, some people will look at them very literally and start focusing on details that have been plonked in there by someone who's probably only been paid enough to spend a couple of hours knocking together something in photoshop and who might not be wise enough to know to be careful about unintentional cues for people to jump on.

Some people are actually trying to improve this area, may Cristo & his ilk would like to lend a hand?

I had a hand in this right at the beginning. Decent bunch of local people wanting to improve the area 👍

Back
Top Bottom