Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

LTNs don't really help. But I accept that for some more experienced cyclists used to cutting through back streets they may help on some level.
It's the opposite for me. I'm not experienced at all and the Railton LTN and relative quietness of Rosedale Road makes my commute possible. I get off and cross as a pedestrian at Loughborough Junction rather than turn right. CS6 and 7 make up a lot of the rest of my journey.

I don't drive, though, and I wonder if there's a barrier in being used to certain routes as a driver and thinking that's the way to go, and then thinking no way is that safe on a bike. (I'm happy to be told I'm wrong about this, it's a guess)

Thanks all for the tips. It looks like the proposed cycleway I7 would help me a lot, but who knows when/if that will be built giving TFL's funding problems and inability to deliver major projects on time.

Did that in the summer a couple of times with the teenage daughters. Fucking hell it’s grim. There’s not even room on the pedestrian crossing island to walk bikes across.
I get onto the road alongside the park and go straight across the OKR (as I call it) to the Quietway. Otherwise it’s horrible.

(ETA I didn’t read everyone else’s replies but at least we agree. Even to the extent of calling it the OKR)

I do love Nextdoor where the ranting never abates. I’ve noticed that there’s a style of posts that always begins with something like, I’m a keen cyclist or I regularly cycle etc but then goes into one about the LTNs being awful etc.
Yep - I think it’s because drivers can’t just say the real reason why they’re against them and have to pretend they care a jot about others.

“These LTNs are forcing me to pollute the poor people on main roads more as I now have to travel slightly further” 🙄

OLJ are now retweeting this and lines that LTNs and the active travel sector are ‘large scale corruption’
Here's the hi-res version. Someone's obviously taken ages to put together and has a good understanding - but really wtf is their point? It's nutcase shit.

FGFxlHTWQAACFpr

Someone from OneLambeth posted this on Nextdoor. Really shows the power of collaboration!

View attachment 299553
fetchimage

I just don't even understand what they are trying to do with that graphic. Like it's corruption that people who work for the council work for the council? Cos that's what most lines seem to be, from the organisation to an employee. idk if there's a better quality/higher res one anywhere but I'm curious what the black rectangle logo is that Karen Creavin connects to (I work for the the active wellbeing society, she is the ceo, top left quadrant, straight down from the h of neighbourhoods).

Otherwise it's like, what, a diagram of people who advocate for cycling and walking infrastructure and people on councils/central govt who implement them? So what?

fetchimage

I just don't even understand what they are trying to do with that graphic. Like it's corruption that people who work for the council work for the council? Cos that's what most lines seem to be, from the organisation to an employee. idk if there's a better quality/higher res one anywhere but I'm curious what the black rectangle logo is that Karen Creavin connects to (I work for the the active wellbeing society, she is the ceo, top left quadrant, straight down from the h of neighbourhoods).

Otherwise it's like, what, a diagram of people who advocate for cycling and walking infrastructure and people on councils/central govt who implement them? So what?
I just love that the anonymous accounts posting this up and throwing around accusations of corruption, extremism, evil network etc feel the need to add “Disclaimer: This tweet is 'in the public interest' and all information is available in the public domain.”. I mean....

IMG_0134.jpeg

Last edited:
Are they actually interested in “clean air for all” or do they just want to get rid of the LTNs?

Monitoring says traffic is up by 25% on LCR road high bad but hardly seismic as the article says. ULEZ helps with pollution levels even outside the area but traffic calming measures or more restrictions on LCR would be good. Who’s up for a bus gate?
To be fair, a 25% increase is pretty hefty.

There used to be a Department for Transport count point on Leigham Court Road, almost exactly where the Lambeth counter was. (Road traffic statistics - Manual count point: 930320)

So traffic volume now is actually just back to what it was in 2005. It looks very much like this is a prime example of how rat running has increased over the last 20 years as people used first satnav and then their phones. And since emission standards have got a lot tighter over that time pollution levels should be a lot lower.

That's not to say there shouldn't be efforts to reduce it, and traffic volumes, further.

Leigham Court Road DfT counts.pngLeigham Court Road, stage 1 monitoring.png

To be fair, a 25% increase is pretty hefty.
It's also 25% of a big number.

Lambeth is powerless at enforcing this 20mph limit thing, I don't know what the solution is though.

Hearing about the guy getting hit by a car mounting the pavement is scary.

There's no proper pedestrian crossing by the (Dunraven) school either which doesn't help.

Are they actually interested in “clean air for all” or do they just want to get rid of the LTNs?

Monitoring says traffic is up by 25% on LCR road high bad but hardly seismic as the article says. ULEZ helps with pollution levels even outside the area but traffic calming measures or more restrictions on LCR would be good. Who’s up for a bus gate?
Yes, is there a reason why LCR is not removed as a cut through route - it doesn't appear to be an A road and I assume it's used by people trying to avoid Streatham centre or Tulse Hill?

Yes, is there a reason why LCR is not removed as a cut through route - it doesn't appear to be an A road and I assume it's used by people trying to avoid Streatham centre or Tulse Hill?
I think it's important for the Streatham Hill LTN to be accessible from more than just the A23, therefore it forms an important "boundary road"?

The problem with LTNs in central London in general is that lots of people/schools/businesses are based on the so called main roads.

IIRC Leigham court road is classified by Lambeth as a local distributor road, so it needs to be without restrictions. I do feel sorry for residents, the side streets have effectively been removing traffic from this road for years and having got used to that, it is horrible having it back where it's designed to be.
We need more than just LTNs to tackle the problem of too much traffic.

Yes absolutely. I did some speed checks on leigham court road about 6 months ago with the police and got 11 speeders in 20 mins. ☹️
I've done this quite a few times in Loughborough Junction and we regularly and reliably get 20-30 speeders per hour in each direction. It's pretty hard to get them to come and do an actual enforcement though ... or to get them to come out later at night when the number of cars is smaller but the speeding is more extreme.

Leigham Court Road has been busy forever, no? It's the standard road through there, particularly as west norwood high street is always gridlock. My satnav would always take me that way going from Croydon into London

The council is proposing to make Oval & Railton LTNs permanent!

And they're popular:

The data found 55 per cent of respondents thought the Oval to Stockwell LTN was a positive change, while 54 per cent felt the Railton LTN was a positive change.

Back
Top Bottom