Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

I think the reality is that there is no "organisation" as such. There is a gofundme fund raiser, via which an individual is collecting funds for a court case where another individual is the "client".

There is then a jumble of informal organisations, interests, anonymous social media accounts and individuals who encourage donations to that fundraiser.
This description sums it up. I was never “appointed” as treasurer. I offered to help pay the bills partly because no-one else seemed to be able to open an account quickly. I also didn’t is I’d be named on gofundme, I assumed that it would be the client. The treasurer title was given after a load of pro people wanted more information and asking why there wasn’t a formal treasurer. As my name was up there the person who runs the site put me down as treasurer. Most of the people involved haven’t actually been in the same place together or only met once.

I think the reality is that there is no "organisation" as such. There is a gofundme fund raiser, via which an individual is collecting funds for a court case where another individual is the "client".

There is then a jumble of informal organisations, interests, anonymous social media accounts and individuals who encourage donations to that fundraiser

There must be some kind of organisation for chowce5382 to be the treasurer of. He's already said that the onerailton website is his organisation's, and lists the scummy onelambethjustice twitter feed there. Even if there's nothing formal, like no chair or committee or anything where it was agreed that X person would run the twitter feed for them, they have been put on the website that chowce5382 has named as theirs. It's all one and the same group, even if there's no constitutional arranged organisation.
They could remove links to that twitter feed from their website, but they choose not to. They could start a twitter feed of their own, but they choose not to.

Good article in The Times today from Danny Adilypour.

The use of low traffic neighbourhoods by local councils across the country has generated lots of attention, with passionate views expressed both for and against such interventions. The noise generated by this debate means the reasons for introducing low traffic neighbourhoods are often lost in the cacophony, when this is something that should matter to us all.

In the London borough of Lambeth, which I represent, it has been clear for some time that our road network is well beyond capacity. Our main roads are congested and our smaller residential streets without controls such as traffic lights, pedestrian crossings and speed reduction measures are acting as pressure valves, taking significant levels of through traffic.

Not only is this adding to the already serious air pollution problem that impacts the health and wellbeing of our residents and leads to thousands of Londoners dying from our city’s toxic air, it also has a significantly detrimental impact on community cohesion, reducing interactions between neighbours and hampering the independence of many residents.

The Covid-19 pandemic meant this already critical situation became something where urgent action was required. Social distancing restrictions and the reduction of public transport services meant our key workers and other residents who couldn’t work from home had to find other ways to get to their jobs.

For those workers who don’t have access to their own car - disproportionately our lower-income residents, women and black residents - local authorities had to take urgent action to create safe corridors that allowed people to walk and cycle without the dangers of vehicle collisions and toxic air.

This is where low traffic neighbourhoods come in as a key tool to achieve these aims. In Lambeth, like many other local authorities, we took a decision to implement low traffic neighbourhood trials, taking swift and decisive action to make our streets safer and improve the quality of life of our residents by attempting to reduce vehicle traffic and increase the number of people walking and cycling.

It’s fair to say the introduction of these trials led to a strong reaction, both from those passionately supportive of the measures and those vehemently opposed. Indeed, this has been the case wherever low traffic neighbourhood schemes have been introduced, with some councils taking the decision to scrap or suspend their trials in the face of continuous protests.

However the evidence shows that the vast majority of people support reducing vehicle traffic and tackling air pollution, and there is clear support for the use of low traffic neighbourhoods to achieve this. Crucially these schemes need to be given time to bed in, so that their effects in reducing traffic, increasing active travel and improving air quality can be monitored and demonstrated.

That’s why in Lambeth we continued with all five of our low traffic neighbourhood trials so we can properly monitor whether they are achieving their objectives, rather than hastily abandoning measures that are shown to work. The results are beginning to speak for themselves.

We’ve seen reductions of 25-63 per cent in vehicle traffic in the low traffic neighbourhoods we are now consulting in, cycling rates have increased by 87-92 per cent and the feedback we’ve received from residents is that their streets feel safer and cleaner.

If low traffic neighbourhood schemes are to win public support, it is clear that residents need to be engaged throughout the process. Now that we are consulting our residents on the future of our low traffic neighbourhoods, we are doing so backed up not only by data showing that they are having the desired impact, but also with the feedback we have had from residents and organisations to ensure their implementation is as fair as possible.

Changing entrenched behaviour isn’t easy, but as political leaders we cannot shy away from this. We have to reduce our dependence on cars to make short journeys if we are to stand any chance of preventing our capital and other major cities from becoming gridlocked, dangerous and over-polluted places where nobody would want to live.

Local councils have an important role to play in this – by continuing to implement evidence-based policies proven to work, resisting siren calls to scrap them before they have been given a chance and giving residents all the information they need when consulting on their future.

1631613540247.png

For those who are interested in how they normalised the traffic counts, it's in the 6 month report where there's lots of detail in methodology: https://www.islington.gov.uk/-/medi...hash=CC1A1A62A34DAF1858DC451786C11F2D0C4B184D

Essentially they did traffic counts in June 2020 just before installing the measures, and then counts in June 21 for the annual report (and Dec for the 6 monthly one). They compared these to TfL data from monitoring sites around the area for 2019 to see what the differences are and adjust accordingly. So June 2020 had 20% lower traffic than June 2019, as did Dec 2020 compared to Dec 2019, so both are adjusted by that amount. It's always going to be hard to make proper comparisons but it feels like a reasonable way to do this - compare the general trend from 2019 - 2020 and 2021 and use that to normalise the specific counts for each road to take into account the general trend caused by the post-pandemic unlockening.

There are plenty of holes in the data for all of these schemes... by which I mean, data that hasn't been recorded rather than data that shows serious adverse effects. And it's all complicated by Covid impacts, of course.

But collectively the amount of monitoring as far as I am aware is fairly much unprecedented, as far as the UK is concerned. Previously when arguing for the benefits of these kinds of schemes, we've had to rely on results from a scattering of relatively small schemes that sit somewhat in isolation from another, plus results from other countries. I'd hope that what's been monitored and recorded in the last couple of years (and which should continue into the next few years) represents a quite significant step up in the evidence base. It should be possible to look at all the schemes together, and it should be possible to identify effects that are particular to specific circumstances rather than inevitable consequences.

I know we’ve probably all had enough of what a shit show OneLambeth is but now they’re trying to spin letters about the consultations as some kind of attempt to get people not to respond?!

I have to admit I can't think of a time I've had the council post consultation notices to me - is there a standard way to do this?

Isn't it usually a laminated A4 poster ziptied to a lamppost? And maybe an ad in the local paper when we had those?

TfL delivered letters, prob similar to these, for the A23 consultation in Streatham. Tons of people still claimed they weren’t consulted though.

The same will happen for this I’m sure but pretty sure most people are very aware of the LTNs.

If they become permanent it’s going be really depressing how the OneLambeth lot will still go on about it.

No, there isn’t. Furthermore, there is no correlation between supporting Sofia and Brexit.

That’s quite a delayed response to a post you’d already responded to.

Maybe you could respond to snowy_again post?

I’m not sure that he is asking a question. I’ve never said that I represent all disabled people. He is perfectly within his rights to be upset. As a group with protected characteristics there is a spectrum in terms of impact. That’s pretty much why we are in the courts at the moment as the work wasn’t done beforehand. More than anyone I would expect him to understand that, whilst this might not be pertinent to him, it will be pertinent to people in the same/similar group. As such, I would expect him to fully support court action as this is about pointing out how blanket measures might not work for everyone, even within a specific protected group. I’m happy to be criticised for this as, in the end, fighting for the rights of a group or sub-set of people who should be protected by law is the right thing to do. You’ve never understood this.

I did mention to one of the hardcore Onesies how awful it was and there claiming it might be a hack… that’s been going on for months chowce5382 thinks otherwise.

9F07E7FE-45A7-4EA2-A733-32D054C05776.jpeg

How many OneLambeth’s is that now?

Back
Top Bottom