Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

I'm new to this thread. Curious if there was any discussion of the Streatham Hill LTN stats when they came out?

The report showed car travel up significantly on boundary roads. And for some reason they didn't include the TFL managed boundary roads in their stats. If you then go to the appendix, traffic was up on the boundary roads as well, including up by 3,824 daily on Christchurch Road.

I'm only interested in the stats really. Why do we think this LTN has failed to reduce car journeys? Or will traffic start to evaporate if we give it more time?

Detailed stats including boundary roads here:

There’s a few desmog summaries

“The ABD has frequently cast doubt on the health impacts of air pollution and rejected the scientific consensus on climate change. It opposes emissions charging zones, designed to improve air quality, and has called for the removal of government support for electric vehicles.”

They also happily seem to deny that Ella Adoo Kissi Debrah could have died from vehicle related air pollution:

“Toxic air is usually judged to be based on the level of particulates (dust) in the air and the level of nitrous oxides (NOX), although there is some debate as to whether NOX (mainly NO2) is actually damaging to health. Particulates, namely PM 2.5, are the major concern and to quote from the report in Reference 1 below “Road transport accounts for around a quarter of PM2.5 in London, with a large proportion also coming from construction, wood burning and commercial cooking”.

The ABD covered the issue of the contribution of vehicles to air quality in a report we published two years ago – see Reference 2. The Conclusion in that report said this:

“In conclusion, let it be clear that the ABD is supportive of improving air quality in the UK, particularly in urban areas and on particular roads where transport is a major generator of emissions. But there is no public health crisis and measures to improve air quality should be both reasonable and moderate. According to a recent report from Defra, since 1970 NOx emissions have fallen by 72% and Particulates (PM2.5) by 79%. The hysteria about air pollution is wrongly being used to generate tax revenues to local government (e.g. the ULEZ in London and similar proposals for other UK cities) without any justification in terms of cost/benefits. The likely improvement in air quality that will result will be unlikely to be noticed by residents because it will simply be too small and it will have no significant long-term impact on health”.

That freedom for drivers thing appears to be run by Howard Cox who it looks like has split off from ABD...or something. Either way, as well as all the climate change denial stuff, they are constantly going on about drivers being overtaxed, road space being given over to cyclists and so on. They are fully fighting against the 'war on the motorist' and don't pretend to be much else... At least they are pretty transparent about their aims.

I'm new to this thread. Curious if there was any discussion of the Streatham Hill LTN stats when they came out?

The report showed car travel up significantly on boundary roads. And for some reason they didn't include the TFL managed boundary roads in their stats. If you then go to the appendix, traffic was up on the boundary roads as well, including up by 3,824 daily on Christchurch Road.

I'm only interested in the stats really. Why do we think this LTN has failed to reduce car journeys? Or will traffic start to evaporate if we give it more time?

I haven't been following that one closely but yes the hope would be that you see it settle down over time. With the railton LTN i was a little surprised that it already saw reductions on most of the boundary roads at the first review because it's always expected that there will be distribution at first.

The numbers being collected by Lambeth are a bit sketchy unfortunately, which isn't helpful and it's confounded at present by all the background changes in travel patterns.

My subjective anecdata observations of the problem roads around the other LTNs is that things have settled down a lot compared to a few months ago. If course not everyone will agree with that.

I think I recall Lambeth saying that traffic on TfL roads (A205 and A23) is influenced by much more than just an LTN which makes it difficult to attribute increases or decreases of volumes just to the LTN. I have no idea what the answer is to monitoring these roads.

That freedom for drivers thing appears to be run by Howard Cox who it looks like has split off from ABD...or something. Either way, as well as all the climate change denial stuff, they are constantly going on about drivers being overtaxed, road space being given over to cyclists and so on. They are fully fighting against the 'war on the motorist' and don't pretend to be much else... At least they are pretty transparent about their aims.
I used to comment on the blog posts but now they've blocked me. :D

In response the latest one which included
"Gear Change promotes a negative, downward move to local transport that will be opposed by many. It’s basically a propaganda piece exhorting us to change our way of life rather than the Government tackling the underlying causes of traffic congestion."
I asked what they thought the underlying causes of traffic congestion were - since to taking them, we need to know.
Comment didn't get approved - could be that the underlying cause of traffic congestion is TOO MUCH TRAFFIC???

I think I recall Lambeth saying that traffic on TfL roads (A205 and A23) is influenced by much more than just an LTN which makes it difficult to attribute increases or decreases of volumes just to the LTN. I have no idea what the answer is to monitoring these roads.
IMO it's a bit sneaky to divert traffic onto TFL roads and then wash their hands of it completely.

Yes, there could be other factors but maybe it's worth having a dialogue with TFL and trying to control for those factors in the report rather than just ignoring the increased numbers?

IMO it's a bit sneaky to divert traffic onto TFL roads and then wash their hands of it completely.

Yes, there could be other factors but maybe it's worth having a dialogue with TFL and trying to control for those factors in the report rather than just ignoring the increased numbers?
I don't think there's anything sneaky about it - traffic on main A roads in London has fallen over the last 10 years or so and almost doubled on unclassified roads (ie many of the roads in LTNs), so traffic is just going back to where it should be/used to be before the sat navs took hold, sending drivers though 'short cuts' to save all of 1 minute. I do agree that this can't be the final word on it and I think Lambeth are in contact with TfL about numbers, but as I said, falls or rises in traffic on A roads such as the A23 and A205 are due to multiple factors so how you extract the LTN impact will be complicated.

editor you are mentioned on one Lambeth’s
Face book page:

Write to Brixton Buzz and ask Mike Urban to write an article about “Pro LTN campaigners vandalising signs”
Seeing as I'm not allowed on their shitty Facebook group, they can go fuck themselves if they think I'm going to take time out to write an article at their behest.

You can post that up, if you like. :)

Back
Top Bottom