Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

On E scooters / e bikes and so called active travel.

An argument put forward for LTNs is that it gets people out of cars and exercising more.

E Scooters and E Bikes are getting better and better. To the point where the active travel argument won't work.

Im not criticising this. Just pointing out that alternatives will be found.
E bikes are hugely helpful for active travel, especially for elderly people or people who live in hilly areas.

There's a substantial group of people for whom the pedal assist will make the difference between driving and cycling, for instance people who are commuting and concerned about arriving sweaty because of hills on their route.

They are still undertaking physical activity doing these journeys and since they wouldn't be using a standard push bike, this means increased physical activity, not decreased.

If it runs battery only, legally it's not an e bike, it's a moped.

I went to Brockwell park recently for a short walk. We are often carrying our baby (8 months) in a sling, so are extra safety conscious.

The were prominent signs saying e-scooters are both illegal and banned at every entrance. But we had three escooter riders whizz past us anyway.

Reasons why I dislike them relative to bikes:
1) riders seem a lot less safety conscious and often don't have a bell to warn pedestrians
2) downhill they end up going ridiculously fast, don't think the speed limiting works
3) I see them ridden almost exclusively on pavements
4) riders are almost never wearing helmets
5) how many toddlers have been hospitalised recently by bike riders?
6) having traveled in other European cities e.g. France, Netherlands, Sweden the hire scooters are a plague that end up blocking pavements everywhere. We are just starting to experience that now in London

thread police klaxon

e-scooter thread thataway >>>

Two people have been arrested for vandalism of LTN signs.

The Hillside road entrance to Streatham Hill LTN seems to be permanently vandalised. Lots of no to road closures signs on houses there as well.

At what point do we find out who they are and where they are from ?

If/when they are charged ?
Yeah, when charged I think.

Antis seem to be making a big deal out of Cllr Danny Adilypour calling the people arrested criminals, but without names I can't see what the issue is. Some just like to muddy the waters and distract from the actual issue I guess.

Yeah, when charged I think.

Antis seem to be making a big deal out of Cllr Danny Adilypour calling the people arrested criminals, but without names I can't see what the issue is. Some just like to muddy the waters and distract from the actual issue I guess.

They are innocent until proven guilty so are not criminals at this point. Actually people do need to be careful about the language they use until the trial is done so as not to prejudice the trial, although I'm not suggesting that boundary has been overstepped in this particular tweet here, it's definitely close to the line at best. It doesn't matter if people aren't named as judge/jury can still be influenced by these things into presuming guilt as the defendants are proclaimed as criminals at this point.

They are innocent until proven guilty so are not criminals at this point. Actually people do need to be careful about the language they use until the trial is done so as not to prejudice the trial, although I'm not suggesting that boundary has been overstepped in this particular tweet here, it's definitely close to the line at best. It doesn't matter if people aren't named as judge/jury can still be influenced by these things into presuming guilt as the defendants are proclaimed as criminals at this point.
Yeah, you're right. Just amused about what people choose to be outraged by.

When we look back to the last century we can see that the people who loudly supported smokers rights were just misguided, but the people who funded and distributed bogus or misleading research were criminals, often hiding behind layers of corporate indemnity.

it will be the same when we look back to this period and reflect on the aggrieved misled people clinging to the polluting customs of the last century, and the really nasty corporate criminals behind the messages.

hey Gramsci on the speculative fiction topic i just finished “hummingbird salamander” by vandermeer which is set in a beginning-of-the-collapse milieu.

When we look back to the last century we can see that the people who loudly supported smokers rights were just misguided, but the people who funded and distributed bogus or misleading research were criminals, often hiding behind layers of corporate indemnity.
Good analogy - remeber the arguments about freedoms and how it would effect businesses, the opposite seems the case for most pubs.

These guys still seem to be banging the drum: Freedom2Choose | “Personal Freedom, Personal Choice” - a vision of OneLambeth in 10 years time?

1628179051202.png

If they are retweeting direct links to ABD stuff then I'm happy to write them off altogether as straight up motor lobby. Although it seems a bit like the Twitter account is run by a lone entity that chowce5382 doesn't especially want to be associated with.

If they are retweeting direct links to ABD stuff then I'm happy to write them off altogether as straight up motor lobby. Although it seems a bit like the Twitter account is run by a lone entity that chowce5382 doesn't especially want to be associated with.
Oh, I just looked at who that guy is, head of policy for a bunch of climate change deniers, well that’s nice!

Quick question, what is ABD? Also, how can it both be a lone entity and also part of a lobby?

Back
Top Bottom