Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Liveable Neighbourhood and LTN schemes - improvements for pedestrians and cyclists

There were a lot of locals standing up to say what they think. Small business and residents. Gentrification came up. For some this is another example of how Council is helping to gentrify area.

Compare the turnout for this, with the 'reclaim Brixton' demos, which were to do with gentrification in general, about five years ago.

Obviously there may be a covid element which would put some people off attending, but you could also compare with the BLM protests last year.

The small turnout to yesterday's thing reassures me that it's actually a fairly small number of people who are really not happy with the LTNs.

Compare the turnout for this, with the 'reclaim Brixton' demos, which were to do with gentrification in general, about five years ago.

Obviously there may be a covid element which would put some people off attending, but you could also compare with the BLM protests last year.

The small turnout to yesterday's thing reassures me that it's actually a fairly small number of people who are really not happy with the LTNs.

Given Covid restrictions it was a reasonable turnout. People were coming and going as I was there.

The lady introducing speakers told people to move more apart from each other at one point.

This demo was official. Organised with permission of the authorities.

Police were in presence nearby.

BLM were different. Can't really compare the two.

Reactions: CH1
For such a heavily publicised event, with a non stop torrent of social media messages, albeit from just a few accounts, the turnout was pitiful. Lovely sunshine, so weather not a factor. I’m assuming the mayoral candidates were disappointed that they’d bothered to attend an event with so few people.

Your insinuating it based on no evidence. Its a serious allegation to make.

Yes it is, I agree.

She is disabled, which in this fucked up society makes the odds of her being socially excluded and therefore vulnerable higher.

They asked her to be their headline speaker then failed to provide an accessible stage for her to speak from.

Also I've seen it before in not dissimilar scenarios which has perhaps made me a bit cynical.

As I said I may be wrong and indeed hope that I am.

Yes it is, I agree.

She is disabled, which in this fucked up society makes the odds of her being socially excluded and therefore vulnerable higher.

They asked her to be their headline speaker then failed to provide an accessible stage for her to speak from.

Also I've seen it before in not dissimilar scenarios which has perhaps made me a bit cynical.

As I said I may be wrong and indeed hope that I am.

I was actually at the demo. Rather than make assumptions about One Lambeth, of which their have been a lot here, I went to see what they said in person and who attended.

I did not see evidence of them abusing this disabled lady.

I was actually at the demo. Rather than make assumptions about One Lambeth, of which their have been a lot here, I went to see what they said in person and who attended.

I did not see evidence of them abusing this disabled lady.

Glad to hear that.

Obviously it's possible you would not see it, even if it were happening, but I genuinely hope it isn't. As I have said. Repeatedly.

Did you see her on an accessible stage?

I do hope the lack of support feeds into the national reporting of this. Too often it’s about the conflict or controversy which is just ‘both siding it’.

Cars shouldn’t be the best option for getting around a city and we shouldn’t be prioritising these journeys.

Does anyone one remember the outcry at Popes Rd car park going? Has Brixton suffered because of that?

Of course some need to use cars but the majority of the opposition doesn’t seem to be from those people. It does feel like the argument is being won and I look forward to the consultations.

I do hope the lack of support feeds into the national reporting of this. Too often it’s about the conflict or controversy which is just ‘both siding it’.

Cars shouldn’t be the best option for getting around a city and we shouldn’t be prioritising these journeys.

Does anyone one remember the outcry at Popes Rd car park going? Has Brixton suffered because of that?

Of course some need to use cars but the majority of the opposition doesn’t seem to be from those people. It does feel like the argument is being won and I look forward to the consultations.

Pope's Road car park is still a sore point.

I was resident in Central Brixton at the time. My local residents group supported the market traders/ friends of Brixton Market in opposing the demolition of the car park.

Also the car park was the disabled access to Brixton Rec.

It had lift to the walkway that led to entrance to Rec.

The ramp on Brixton Station Road level is not policy compliant as its to steep.

Council have never replaced this access for disabled people.

So for disabled people at least Brixton has suffered.

Last edited:
Have the market traders seen a loss of trade as a result of the car park going though?

I was wondering the other day how the traders along Atlantic Rd feel about the traffic being back. In the period without through traffic i didn't get the impression the street was devoid of activity or customers. Now it's back to being rammed with vehicles with pedestrians pushed to either side . As with everything, difficult to untangle from lockdown effects.

Pope's Road car park was demolished due to the Streatham development. Council had been working with Tescos to redevelop the old Ice Rink site.

Idea was to build temporary Ice rink in Streatham. Tescos weren't having that. So Council decided Pope's Road car park was best site for temporary Ice rink.

As with Brixton Rec senior regeneration officers had been eyeing up this site as development opportunity.

So it solved two problems. Giving Tescos what they wanted and clearing that site for future development.

Tescos BTW have a car park on the new Streatham development.

At the time some of the New Labour Cllrs were saying it was green thing to do to get rid of the Pope's road car park. They weren't saying that to Tescos over the Streatham development.

As Pope's Road car park has been brought up another thing that Brixton suffered due to it was ending of regular monthly meetings with the Council appointed Town Centre Manager.

Local residents groups and local business reps met the Council Brixton Town Centre Manager on regular basis.

When all of us opposed the demolition of the Pope's Road car park meetings ceased.

This is pretty typical Lambeth Labour Council behaviour of how they consult community.

Having a car park for a supermarket in the south of Streatham is quite different than having one in Brixton that encourages more people to drive in an already congested area.

I’m sure you don’t like Pop Brixton but it’s obviously much more beneficial for the area than a multi-storey car park. I don’t know about the issues around disabled parking but I’m sure these can, and should be, addressed in other ways than a multi-storey car park.

Last edited:
Having a car park for a supermarket in the south of Streatham is quite different than having one in Brixton that encourages more people to drive in an already congested area.

I’m sure you don’t like Pop Brixton but it’s obviously much more beneficial for the area than a multi-storey car park. I don’t know about the issues around disabled parking but I’m sure these can, and should be, addressed in other ways than a multi-storey car park.

Pop had nothing to do with loss of the car park. That came much later.

The officers wanted to consolidate that site as a development opportunity. The Rec site was to be demolished and a new smaller Rec was to be built on car park site. Rec site was to be sold to developer. This was thwarted by public pressure against getting rid of Brixton Rec.

I said disabled access.

Its been years since the demolition and Council have not reprovisioned disabled access for the Rec.

Pop had nothing to do with loss of the car park. That came much later.

I know, but it’s what the space is now. The ice rink was great and helped the new leisure centre & housing to be built.

Do you still think it should be a car park?

I'd say that's a debatable point unless you happen to fit the narrow, well-off demographic it's targeted at.

What about the jobs and the businesses that it's created. It also brings people to the market & the area. Have businesses suffered from the lack of a car park?

What about the jobs and the businesses that it's created. It also brings people to the market & the area. Have businesses suffered from the lack of a car park?
You really don't know much about Pop Brixton or understand why so many locals go nowhere near the place, do you?
If it's such a soaraway success, how come the place hasn't barely paid a penny to the council despite being gifted the place rent free for five years?

You really don't know much about Pop Brixton or understand why so many locals go nowhere near the place, do you?
If it's such a soaraway success, how come the place hasn't barely paid a penny to the council despite being gifted the place rent free for five years?
I do and I'm not saying it's a soaraway success but it's better than a car park which is a low bar imo.

I do and I'm not saying it's a soaraway success but it's better than a car park which is a low bar imo.
I'd rather have neither, but you certainly seemed keen to big up Pop Brixton with all your Lambeth Labour-style celebratory froth about 'jobs and businesses' being created and bringing 'people to the market & the area.' Even car parks manage the latter and they'd certainly cater to a wider demographic.

I'd rather have neither, but you certainly seemed keen to big up Pop Brixton with all your Lambeth Labour-style celebratory froth about 'jobs and businesses' being created and bringing 'people to the market & the area.' Even car parks manage the latter and they'd certainly cater to a wider demographic.
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick about me - hardly Lambeth Labour. Canterbury arms going was a disgrace - Hondo tower & Sports Direct also - but I'm also realistic. Hopefully we can some some benefits to the area without taking out the market which seems to be working at the moment. Some of Granville arcade's a bit of a joke but better than having the vacant shops that were there before.

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick about me - hardly Lambeth Labour. Canterbury arms going was a disgrace - Hondo tower & Sports Direct also - but I'm also realistic. Hopefully we can some some benefits to the area without taking out the market which seems to be working at the moment. Some of Granville arcade's a bit of a joke but better than having the vacant shops that were there before.
What happed to Grow Brixton was a disgrace. Pop Brixton is a disgrace - they get the land rent free, pay themselves vast management fees to create an exclusive space which excludes much of the local community, and yet here you are trotting out the line that we should be thankful for all the 'jobs and businesses.'

And you know why there was vacant units in Granville Arcade in the past yes?

“Better than a car park” isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement for a place. Pretty much anything is better than a car park
Again. it's close run thing when it comes to Pop Brixton. And whether you like it or not, car parks do sometimes have a use. I dare say you use them occasionally too.

Back
Top Bottom