Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

Not really. Largely empty inside, quite a few people in the garden, one group blasting their own music on portable speakers to the irritation of other, older drinkers.

Together with the above, and the manager being suspended, you wonder how long Greene King will put up with it before they make some big changes. They are a huge Pubco with profits to be made, after all.
I fear for the future of the Albert. :(

This is great from the owner of a soon to be open place in the Market
Hacha will shut one day a week so its not-for-profit organisation Equal Measures can offer training, mentorship and workshops designd to improve the representation of BAME communities in the hospitality industry.

He and his family are still living above the pub, and will be for as long as they want because it would be so difficult to remove him. The rift with the brewery happened when he told them he wanted to quit and return to Poland. After 14 years in the job he suddenly became a non-person in their eyes. He has a new job lined up. It involves coming back to London often. He's going to have a farewell party, but I don't know when. The pub has an interim manager and the brewery are looking for someone permanent.

I got dragged to the one by oxford circus, a grim experience...
I have fond memories of the one in covent garden..i was a runner for a vfx place and i got sent there to pick up lunch for people on the day it opened (i remember there was a lot of excitement about it). There was a massiveeee queue and I got to chill out in the sunshine for ages waiting for the food ha. It’s never appealed to me as the veggie options look quite boring and I’ve heard a lot of people say it’s overrated.

The building was going to be used by the grim-sounding, Meat Liquor hipster chain, so I guess that Five Guys are marginally less awful, not that I'll ever be buying anything from them.

Yeah, great ;/

....talking of Electric Lane there is a council meeting tonight to discuss if a premiseslicense be granted for Impact Brixton home to the Black Bar discussed here previously...( link to pdf )
....looks like there is a fair bit of opposition to this from lthe Brixton society,local councillors and residents.....

Last edited:
The building was going to be used by the grim-sounding, Meat Liquor hipster chain, so I guess that Five Guys are marginally less awful, not that I'll ever be buying anything from them.
I dislike Meat Liquor ('Dead Hippie' lolz :rolleyes:) but I think they can at least claim to have started out quite small in South London, and do give discount to Dulwich Hamlet fans before and after the game in the East Dulwich branch.

Five Guys is an American McDonald's type place (probably with thousands of outlets) with a USP of charging more money for their fast food burger and fries. Im not sure the savvy kids of Brixton will be fooled into paying more than McD's for their food, it would be amusing if 'Five Guys' was a failure, like that 'Dirty Burger' (or whatever it was called) turned out to be.

It looks like many of this place's 5 star reviews on Trip Advisor are written by reviewers with 1 review to their name, which means they either bribed customers to do it or simply wrote the reviews themselves. Im glad of the honest article you have posted, as it means i wont be fooled into ever eating there.

I dislike Meat Liquor ('Dead Hippie' lolz :rolleyes:) but I think they can at least claim to have started out quite small in South London, and do give discount to Dulwich Hamlet fans before and after the game in the East Dulwich branch.

Five Guys is an American McDonald's type place (probably with thousands of outlets) with a USP of charging more money for their fast food burger and fries. Im not sure the savvy kids of Brixton will be fooled into paying more than McD's for their food, it would be amusing if 'Five Guys' was a failure, like that 'Dirty Burger' (or whatever it was called) turned out to be.
I really liked their original outlet in New Cross. Fantastic burgers

It looks like many of this place's 5 star reviews on Trip Advisor are written by reviewers with 1 review to their name, which means they either bribed customers to do it or simply wrote the reviews themselves. Im glad of the honest article you have posted, as it means i wont be fooled into ever eating there.
Think it's also partly as the author of the article suggests, a lot of them have been posted by people that just for the drinks, take up residency and get pished. So naturally they think it's great.

Think it's also partly as the author of the article suggests, a lot of them have been posted by people that just for the drinks, take up residency and get pished. So naturally they think it's great.
True, and maybe a free round of watery shots if you go on TripAdvisor there and then and big them up

Sure but this guy radiates unfun vibes like misery quasar . The one time I spoke to him he was telling me of his violent past. Yeah, great conversation.
.....it’s one way to shut down a conversation for sure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom