Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

I'd have given Karankana a try at 50% off, shame that's now finished.

The menu sounds interesting, however the cheapest pint is £6.50 so this exciting twist based on the 'curry & a pint' wont be getting my business.

Last edited:
I'd have given Karankana a try at 50% off, shame that's now finished.

The menu sounds interesting, however the cheapest pint is £6.50 so this exciting twist based on the 'curry & a pint' wont be getting my business.
I'm struggling to see how they hope to make much of a profit. Before they had two floors of a busy club that stayed open till 3am but I can't imagine the restaurant being that busy for more than a few hours every weekend.

And the menu seems all over the place too, with fish and chips, lamb chops, currywurst with fries and BBQ pork ribs. And £7 - £7.50 for a pint of corporate Brixton Brewery beer? GTFO.

I'm struggling to see how they hope to make much of a profit. Before they had two floors of a busy club that stayed open till 3am but I can't imagine the restaurant being that busy for more than a few hours every weekend.

And the menu seems all over the place too, with fish and chips, lamb chops, currywurst with fries and BBQ pork ribs. And £7 - £7.50 for a pint of corporate Brixton Brewery beer? GTFO.

They must make a decent profit on selling a pint of beer for £7.50, assuming it was made a couple of hundred yards away at Brixton Brewery under the arches? Even if, quoting Brixton Brewery website, the beer is 'hand crafted in small batches'. Or now Heineken own it has that all changed?

*Edit just read that Brixton Brewery now have the capacity to brew 60,000 pints a week. Wow, there must be a hell of a lot of hands needed to craft those tiny batches! :D

Went into the karanhana on Thursday to try it out, seems it's linked to owners of nanban and stayay bar.

Short overview is its over priced, pints of the apa are £7.50 but add the service on and your looking at £8.25 a pint 😭 even with the 50% off on the food it felt over priced. Lamb chops are £12 and you get 2 small chops!!!! Chicken wings are £9 and you get 4. Don't want to put down a new adventure and It was very tasty food but I think they need to review the menu pricing and/or portions. I hope they tweak things and make it better value as I love the idea of a curry house with good selection of beer.

Sure but this guy radiates unfun vibes like misery quasar . The one time I spoke to him he was telling me of his violent past. Yeah, great conversation.
He might have sore feet. Certainly moves slowly. Handy when I’m smoking stinky weed in the garden.

Went into the karanhana on Thursday to try it out, seems it's linked to owners of nanban and stayay bar.

Short overview is its over priced, pints of the apa are £7.50 but add the service on and your looking at £8.25 a pint 😭 even with the 50% off on the food it felt over priced. Lamb chops are £12 and you get 2 small chops!!!! Chicken wings are £9 and you get 4. Don't want to put down a new adventure and It was very tasty food but I think they need to review the menu pricing and/or portions. I hope they tweak things and make it better value as I love the idea of a curry house with good selection of beer.
Well there is a gap in the market but I thought this was going to be a Desi pub?
Can’t see how two chops for twelve quid will work out.

In went past there at 8.30 on Friday and there no more than 4 people in there. I think they're the most expensive place in Brixton for Brixton Brewery beer.

Sounds like an awful replacement for Market House, hopefully they will learn and adapt plus review the drinks prices which would not be out of place in a five star hotel in Mayfair.

I'm struggling to think if I've ever paid that much for a pint.
I once paid £11 for one, but to be fair it was in Copenhagen, where that’s kind of the going rate.

At this pace, it might not be that long before we are no longer able to marvel at how much more expensive alcohol is in Scandinavian countries compared to here :(

I once paid £11 for one, but to be fair it was in Copenhagen, where that’s kind of the going rate.

At this pace, it might not be that long before we are no longer able to marvel at how much more expensive alcohol is in Scandinavian countries compared to here :(

£3,75 a pint, red lion walworth rd.

They must make a decent profit on selling a pint of beer for £7.50, assuming it was made a couple of hundred yards away at Brixton Brewery under the arches? Even if, quoting Brixton Brewery website, the beer is 'hand crafted in small batches'. Or now Heineken own it has that all changed?

*Edit just read that Brixton Brewery now have the capacity to brew 60,000 pints a week. Wow, there must be a hell of a lot of hands needed to craft those tiny batches! :D

Hi, our beer is supplied by Heineken to Karakana. I appreciate they own us but we aren't party to the commercial arrangements between them and Karakana.

The beer is brewed in 5000L batches at our brewery off Milkwood Road. We now brew about 10 times pw here hence 60,000 pints originally, now about 80,000.

Hi, our beer is supplied by Heineken to Karakana. I appreciate they own us but we aren't party to the commercial arrangements between them and Karakana.

The beer is brewed in 5000L batches at our brewery off Milkwood Road. We now brew about 10 times pw here hence 60,000 pints originally, now about 80,000.
I understood that Brixton Brewery do not control the prices set at Karakana. I think if i wanted to have a Brixton Brewery beer i would go to your taproom where a pint is upto £3 cheaper than the Karakana.

I understood that Brixton Brewery do not control the prices set at Karakana. I think if i wanted to have a Brixton Brewery beer i would go to your taproom where a pint is upto £3 cheaper than the Karakana.
Fair point, that supply chain is a bit shorter and in our control! Some of the beer served there is brewed next door too, our Ltd Edn beers are brewed in our original arch.

Unless the new manager is some sort of officious gestapo type then im sure the regulars can get back down there and exert influence so it goes back to resembling what it did pre covid times?
When I was in there last week the young barman asked how my day had been and proceeded to recount how there had been a madman in the previous night attacking people, including him. He really wanted to tell me about it for some reason.

When I was in there last week the young barman asked how my day had been and proceeded to recount how there had been a madman in the previous night attacking people, including him. He really wanted to tell me about it for some reason.
Boredom, maybe? It's been hideously quiet every time I've looked in recently.

He's a chatty guy. Although, i was in Thursday, Friday and Saturday and didnt see him at all so perhaps he's gone too.

The new manager sounds alrite to be fair. Overheard him saying his last pub was a West Ham pub, so presumably can handle a bit of boisterous behaviour.

I see yet another cocktail-shunting alcohol outlet has opened up in Market Row where that vintage clothes place was (right by the entrance from Atlantic Road).

He's a chatty guy. Although, i was in Thursday, Friday and Saturday and didnt see him at all so perhaps he's gone too.

The new manager sounds alrite to be fair. Overheard him saying his last pub was a West Ham pub, so presumably can handle a bit of boisterous behaviour.
The Albert was really busy last night for a while.

Five Guys is open now.

I went yesterday. The burgers are certainly a cut above McD and BK. And the chips are actually made in restaurant from real potatoes (they make a point of leaving sacks of potatoes lying around). I had a double burger with cheese and bacon, supplemented with grilled onions and mushrooms from the extensive list of free extras. And there were a lot of chips. But: £15, to eat in a fast food cafeteria setting. It seems a mite overpriced.

Back
Top Bottom