Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

I see yet another cocktail-shunting alcohol outlet has opened up in Market Row where that vintage clothes place was (right by the entrance from Atlantic Road).
Sounds like Bar Marino is open too, or at least about to be.

It's actually already open and has been for a while!

Five Guys is open now.

I went yesterday. The burgers are certainly a cut above McD and BK. And the chips are actually made in restaurant from real potatoes (they make a point of leaving sacks of potatoes lying around). I had a double burger with cheese and bacon, supplemented with grilled onions and mushrooms from the extensive list of free extras. And there were a lot of chips. But: £15, to eat in a fast food cafeteria setting. It seems a mite overpriced.

its sounds very overpriced to me. When in the mood i think ill stick with McDonalds £1.99 voucher that gets you a 1/4 pounder with fries, even if the Brixton branch seems thoroughly incapable of transferring hot food from kitchen to counter (all of about 2 metres). When in the mood for something more fancy, Honest Burger will do you a very good burger with plenty of stuff in it + chips for about £12.

errol-linton-01.jpg

Good to be back

did you know a Five Guys 'regular' portion of chips is 1073 calories? now I know all fast food is filthy and that's the point but when I read that I thought it must be far and away more than most other places. maybe it's the peanut oil they cook it in.

It's pretty decent

did you know a Five Guys 'regular' portion of chips is 1073 calories? now I know all fast food is filthy and that's the point but when I read that I thought it must be far and away more than most other places. maybe it's the peanut oil they cook it in.
Any idea how big that portion is?

According to this, a large serving (400g) of 'chip shop' chips weighs in at 956 calories.

Pretty sure that went a considerable time ago!
Am sure you’re right!

My quick unscientific survey shows Shrub and Shutter with 4 of 12 house cocktails over £10 and top spot at £12, Canova Hall with all 22 over £10 and top spot at £12, Lost in Brixton with 6 of 12 over £10 and top spot at £11.50 and Bar Marino with 13 of 14 house cocktails over £10 and top spot at £15.

Kricket, Laundry and 384 all still £10 or under, but arguably they’re primarily food places.

No idea what any of the new places in the markets are called so can’t look them up!

....talking of Electric Lane there is a council meeting tonight to discuss if a premiseslicense be granted for Impact Brixton home to the Black Bar discussed here previously...( link to pdf )
....looks like there is a fair bit of opposition to this from lthe Brixton society,local councillors and residents.....
Looks like the application was succesful, licence granted until 1am on the weekends.
Was quite surprised in light of the strong objections, including a couple of councillors.

its sounds very overpriced to me. When in the mood i think ill stick with McDonalds £1.99 voucher that gets you a 1/4 pounder with fries, even if the Brixton branch seems thoroughly incapable of transferring hot food from kitchen to counter (all of about 2 metres). When in the mood for something more fancy, Honest Burger will do you a very good burger with plenty of stuff in it + chips for about £12.
Speaking of maccy D’s, brixton mcdonalds is one of the 250 restaurants in the country that have started serving the McPlant burger. I know there’s been a lot of arguments in the veggie/vegan community about the ethics of spending your money at mcdonalds but for me new veggie options are always welcome at these big chains :) i thought it was great (it tasted like a mcdonalds, something i’ve not had in yeeeears and used to love…a bit shit but in a great way) and was £3.49 which i think is decent.
Not really sure if i should be posting about mcdonalds on this thread really but just wanted to let any fellow veggies/vegans know about it if they’ve not heard and miss childhood maccy ds like me haha.

Am sure you’re right!

My quick unscientific survey shows Shrub and Shutter with 4 of 12 house cocktails over £10 and top spot at £12, Canova Hall with all 22 over £10 and top spot at £12, Lost in Brixton with 6 of 12 over £10 and top spot at £11.50 and Bar Marino with 13 of 14 house cocktails over £10 and top spot at £15.

Next time you are in one of these places watch how much time going into making one of those cocktails, then compare to popping the top off a couple of lagers

The newish Irish bar on Coldharbour Lane tried to charge me over £15 for 2 pints of Guinness last night. Apparently there was a 'small service charge' automatically added to the bill, even though we had 1 drink and were sat pretty much at the bar. They gracefully took it off, to be fair.

Im no good at maths, but does a £3 'service charge' (pulling a pint and handing it to us) on a bill of under £12 sound fair? Because i really don't think it is.

allow me
Effective service charge of 25% - twice the "standard" of 12.5%
Whether there should or shouldn't be a service charge on pouring a pint at the bar is, I guess, a separate subject

Yeah sounds well OTT. I'd also question where it goes - I'd guess not to the bar staff. Not that I'd tip 25% for pouring a pint but I'd resent paying the bar owners extra more.

Next time you are in one of these places watch how much time going into making one of those cocktails, then compare to popping the top off a couple of lagers
I'm not comparing it to lager. That's someone else on this thread, talking about a different subject entirely.

I agree with you that the spectrum of effort and artistry involved in making a drink can be as broad as that involved in cooking a meal. What I hadn't realised is that £15 cocktails are now here in Brixton. I don't get out much these days.

allow me
Effective service charge of 25% - twice the "standard" of 12.5%
Whether there should or shouldn't be a service charge on pouring a pint at the bar is, I guess, a separate subject
There shouldn't be any service charge. Its bad enough that a pint of Guinness is about £5.70, but ill give them the benefit of the doubt on that considering are business rates, rents, taxes, covid etc etc..... But an extra £3 for no reason, is taking the piss.

The place is basically an upmarket cocktail bar that is Irish themed. To be balanced, the barstaff are clearly very good at their job, they were making all sorts of weird, smoky cocktails from my vantage point during the 20 minutes i was there, and were friendly and happy in their profession. But dont be fooled into thinking this is anything other than a wallet rinser, and almost all the patrons in there couldnt have given a shit about the Irish music being played in the corner.

There shouldn't be any service charge. Its bad enough that a pint of Guinness is about £5.70, but ill give them the benefit of the doubt on that considering are business rates, rents, taxes, covid etc etc..... But an extra £3 for no reason, is taking the piss.

The place is basically an upmarket cocktail bar that is Irish themed. To be balanced, the barstaff are clearly very good at their job, they were making all sorts of weird, smoky cocktails from my vantage point during the 20 minutes i was there, and were friendly and happy in their profession. But dont be fooled into thinking this is anything other than a wallet rinser, and almost all the patrons in there couldnt have given a shit about the Irish music being played in the corner.
25% service charge is insane

I seem to have a very different experience of the place. It's run by two locally-born brothers who have actual Irish connections (the wall has pics of their Cork family) and when I've been there people have definitely interacted with the band. I don't drink Guinness but my lager wasn't particularly pricey IIRC and there wasn't a service charge, which I agree is out of order at 25% - but at least they took it off when challenged.

Concerning McD's, Moneysavingexpert hs some tips about how to get cheap meals, including Big Mac and Fries for £1.99

Sounds like a top session well done.

Just sharing this as an aside from usual business
the bill for a meal purchased and consumed at a new celebrity haunt in London
£37,000 +

D319A238-BD48-4761-AE77-C682D8E6AD38.jpeg

chips a tenner a go
steak £850
booze £30 k +

A bit in the independent .....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom