Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

Hopefully the Effra hasn't changed much, as it seemed a bit odd it being suddenly closed for so long.
A neighbour said that a family member died and that’s why the closure was so sudden. I’m surprised they haven’t put any signs up at the pub that it’s reopening tomorrow - I only found out because I was hunting down any information about if/when it’d open again.

Federation coffee is horrible.
My vote for best coffee, although probably too far, goes to the Black Cat Café in Myatts Field Park.
I went yesterday - stunningly good. Up there with London's best. It's outdoors with no seats, which is a shame. No cafe vibe with no seats. I sat on the grass in some dog diarrhoea. But I think there was some gay cruising happening, so next time I might get lucky.

I went yesterday - stunningly good. Up there with London's best. It's outdoors with no seats, which is a shame. No cafe vibe with no seats. I sat on the grass in some dog diarrhoea. But I think there was some gay cruising happening, so next time I might get lucky.
You evoke your experience wonderfully.

There used to be 4 double sets of benches, perhaps they've been a casualty of Covid.
Glad my coffee recommendation was upheld though :)

Jus Jam on Atlantic Road
Just been there, and I have earth-shattering news. Dust off the air raid sirens. He (George, the proprietor) has real Jamaica Blue Mountain. You can watch actual bags of Jamaican Coffee Growers Association beans going into their own grinder. £5 for a one shot espresso. Not bad, considering that JBM beans retail for £100 per kilo in the UK. Very smooth, no aftertaste. The first real JBM I've had since 2006 in Bamboula, the Caribbean restaurant on Acre Lane, which closed down ages ago. His ordinary coffee is Carraro Premium Blends , and it's good. So I no longer need to leave Brixton to get a coffee.

Last edited:
Just been there, and I have earth-shattering news. Dust off the air raid sirens. He (George, the proprietor) has real Jamaica Blue Mountain. You can watch actual bags of Jamaican Coffee Growers Association beans going into their own grinder. £5 for a one shot espresso. Not bad, considering that JBM beans retail for £100 per kilo in the UK. Very smooth, no aftertaste. The first real JBM I've had since 2006 in Bamboula, the Caribbean restaurant on Acre Lane, which closed down ages ago. His ordinary coffee is Carraro Premium Blends , and it's good. So I no longer need to leave Brixton to get a coffee.
A fiver for a single espresso????

Fuck that.

I was shocked to find my fav brixton pub landlord has been suspended and barred from his pub. My custom is definitely elsewhere now.

Many punters?
Not really. Largely empty inside, quite a few people in the garden, one group blasting their own music on portable speakers to the irritation of other, older drinkers.

Together with the above, and the manager being suspended, you wonder how long Greene King will put up with it before they make some big changes. They are a huge Pubco with profits to be made, after all.

Last edited:
Just been hearing about this from the suspended party. Well done to Greene King for living up to their reputation for ruthlessness. I'm sure they won't regret it.

Back
Top Bottom