Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

Trouble is with all these new places catering to the well off and the seemingly endless number of people wanting an 'ocassional treat' is that they reduce the options for the less well off who can't afford to splash out hundreds of pounds for a single meal.

Trouble is with all these new places catering to the well off and the seemingly endless number of people wanting an 'ocassional treat' is that they reduce the options for the less well off who can't afford to splash out hundreds of pounds for a single meal.
That’s nonsense in the case of Ichibans special nights because they only happen when the normal restaurant is shut...

That’s nonsense in the case of Ichibans special nights because they only happen when the normal restaurant is shut...
I was talking in general, hence the plural "new places."

I'm just tired of unaffordable places being excused because of all these supposed 'occasional treats.' Where I live, some of those treats would add up to food on the table for a month for a family.

I'm just tired of unaffordable places being excused because of all these supposed 'occasional treats.' Where I live, some of those treats would add up to food on the table for a month for a family.
Apologies, I thought this was a continuation of the conversations about the Jay Rayner recommended pop up and the Tequila Mockingbird cocktail bar. I’m not sure whether the new places are a cause or symptom of gentrification, probably both tbf, and also neither because big money players like property developers are also involved.

Anytime a critical comment is allowed to be published under Rayner's articles, questioning the morality of spending over a ton on dinner in a deprived area, he often sneerily defends himself with the whole 'other people go to a concert or a football match and spend the same amount of money so why cant i spend it on food' retort.

He seems to miss the point that the people in the area who cant afford his fancy, expensive (paid for on expenses) dinner, also cant afford to drop £100 on a concert or football match either. And also the fact that these people do spend money on food, as it is essential to life, just far, far less in a whole week than he spent in 1 fucking sitting.

I dont care how many times he pops his head above the parapet and defends an off license in Herne Hill or tweets about Nour cash and carry, the idea he is some kind of asset to the area is nonsense.

Anytime a critical comment is allowed to be published under Rayner's articles, questioning the morality of spending over a ton on dinner in a deprived area, he often sneerily defends himself with the whole 'other people go to a concert or a football match and spend the same amount of money so why cant i spend it on food' retort.

He seems to miss the point that the people in the area who cant afford his fancy, expensive (paid for on expenses) dinner, also cant afford to drop £100 on a concert or football match either. And also the fact that these people do spend money on food, as it is essential to life, just far, far less in a whole week than he spent in 1 fucking sitting.

I dont care how many times he pops his head above the parapet and defends an off license in Herne Hill or tweets about Nour cash and carry, the idea he is some kind of asset to the area is nonsense.
Amen, brother.

I'm gonna agree with your comments about Jay Rayner, him using that defence for himself is laughable given his circumstances, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t true for ‘normal’ people . meanwhile here’s a pic ( copyright Brixton Buzz) of probably about £200+ notes worth of empty cans from yesterdays shenanigans in the park but I’m not hearing too many complaints about the weekend of hedonism happening in an area of social deprivation....

Attachments

• 894EA0ED-7959-4538-9B3B-35E31685A1E0.jpeg
    894EA0ED-7959-4538-9B3B-35E31685A1E0.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 6
cuppa tee , I think you'll find there's been plenty posted on the boards about fencing off the park for paid events that locals might not have access to.
True, but not specifically about the amount of money being spent in onsite bars or comparisons with deprived locals weekly spending on food.....

I'm gonna agree with your comments about Jay Rayner, him using that defence for himself is laughable given his circumstances, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t true for ‘normal’ people . meanwhile here’s a pic ( copyright Brixton Buzz) of probably about £200+ notes worth of empty cans from yesterdays shenanigans in the park but I’m not hearing too many complaints about the weekend of hedonism happening in an area of social deprivation....
You know loads of people living close to the park get free tickets, yes? And those living a little further away get discounted tickets? And loads of the bands were locals?

Notably, the price of an all-day ticket for Wide Awake wouldn't even buy you half of the posh meal that Rayner was frothing about.

*But that's not to say that I haven't got issues with the park being regularly fenced off for private events.

You know loads of people living close to the park get free tickets, yes? And those living a little further away get discounted tickets? And loads of the bands were locals?

Notably, the price of an all-day ticket for Wide Awake wouldn't even buy you half of the posh meal that Rayner was frothing about.

*But that's not to say that I haven't got issues with the park being regularly fenced off for private events

yes I know about the freebies but i also think a lot of people living close by won’t have the least interest in the sweetener and wii just have to grin and bear it. The. price of the ticket is only half the story, the other spending on booze etc ramps up the cost a fair bit, I can’t buy the idea that the people inside the fence aren’t enjoying privileges that are out of reach of the most deprived.....man, I felt bad enough dropping cash on a Sunday roast and a couple of pints on my birthday a few weeks back...

Last edited:
If you live locally, just get hammered at home before heading in, one of the perks i suppose. That's not to defend the horrendous price of beer, im the first to moan about that, but sadly I actually expected a can of red stripe to cost more than 5.75. Sad state of affairs.

If you live locally, just get hammered at home before heading in, one of the perks i suppose.
That's what loads of people were doing but- fucking hell - £5.75 for a can that normally costs a quid is a real rip. That said, your ticket does give you a whole day's entertainment and you get to see a shitload of bands - and it was great to see the Windmill getting its own stage and local talent being suppported.

That's what loads of people were doing but- fucking hell - £5.75 for a can that normally costs a quid is a real rip. That said, your ticket does give you a whole day's entertainment and you get to see a shitload of bands - and it was great to see the Windmill getting its own stage and local talent being suppported.
Yeah my mate who is more into bands was very pleased that the stage was apparently programmed by the Windmill. He said the same, thats lots of bands were local, so fair fucks. Nice to bump into you briefly too.

Is there anywhere with proper coffee? The Illy I have at home is so good that all the stuff in local cafes tastes like cardboard to me. I have to go to the West End to have a half-decent cafe experience. I don't like Federation, Parissi, The Laundry, Lounge, Sendero or Blackbird in Herne Hill.

Is there anywhere with proper coffee? The Illy I have at home is so good that all the stuff in local cafes tastes like cardboard to me. I have to go to the West End to have a half-decent cafe experience. I don't like Federation, Parissi, The Laundry, Lounge, Sendero or Blackbird in Herne Hill.
Federation coffee is horrible.
My vote for best coffee, although probably too far, goes to the Black Cat Café in Myatts Field Park.

He says nothing to me about my life.
You are a vegetarian hence the disconnect. His sheer delight in food, his appetite for a scoff, it’s fantastic.

When he started he was paired with a food writer more up your street. I can’t remember her name.

You are a vegetarian hence the disconnect. His sheer delight in food, his appetite for a scoff, it’s fantastic.

When he started he was paired with a food writer more up your street. I can’t remember her name.
Really struggling to see why me being a vegetarian has any part to play in my opinion of a privileged celebrity food critic raving about £100+ meals.

Batch and Co in Streatham Hill (near decorator's mate) has the best coffee IMHO

My go-to is Mustafa who runs the coffee stall in the railway tunnel in Herne Hill.

Back
Top Bottom